Totally given up on Warlock. Deciding on either Paladin or Mage

My number one concern is not getting into pug groups. I haven't been able to get into a single group as a Warlock, not one single Mythic+. How does Frost do in PvE, looking for a class that works in both PvE, PVP and wPvP. Which spec is best for leveling?

10+ Year Old Account
    At the moment Frost is perceived as being a weak spec in PVE and you may find it difficult to overcome those perceptions when trying to find a group. Fire is basically the only real choice in PVE.

But Mage is in flux right now due to the 7.1.5 PTR bringing so many changes. We cannot give you answers that are long term. In a month everything I said above could be completely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Orpheus66 View Post
    My number one concern is not getting into pug groups. I haven't been able to get into a single group as a Warlock, not one single Mythic+. How does Frost do in PvE, looking for a class that works in both PvE, PVP and wPvP. Which spec is best for leveling?
    Though there are specs that would improve your chances of being accepted into an M+ group, these are mainly specs like Enhancement that provide both high DPS and utility (stuns, interrupts, offensive dispel).

The main things that dictate whether you're going to do a lot of M+, though, are as follows:

* Are you a tank? If you are one, you can pretty much build your own group.

* Are you friends with a tank? If yes, they can include you in their groups.

* Otherwise, what's your iLevel? Just yesterday, we did a Mythic 10, and we needed an extra damage dealer. Out of about 15 that applied within about a minute, we invited a Warlock because he had iLevel 892.

* Have you completed at least Heroic EN? Do you have at least a gold Proving Grounds achievement? There are people who check for that, although in the flood of damage dealers that apply to every M+, it is usually easier to just pick by iLevel.

If you re-roll Mage right now, I figure your chances of getting into M+ as a low iLevel damage dealer aren't going to improve. If you don't have any tank friends, your best bet is to roll a tank.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elodeon View Post
    If you re-roll Mage right now, I figure your chances of getting into M+ as a low iLevel damage dealer aren't going to improve. If you don't have any tank friends, your best bet is to roll a tank.
    This pretty much sums it up. You aren't suddenly going to find people invite you because you are a different class. ilevel is usually the dictating factor. My lock is 865 and I have no trouble getting into mythic+ or normal/heroic EN groups. The best bet is to find some friends/guildies and play with them.

Invites period are often hit or miss. I'm an 863 Fire Mage ( my luck blows) and I've spent half the night trying to get a group before and kept getting turned down.

While most people tell you to go fire, I would tell you to try arcane. Fire is a versatile spec right now doing good at basically everything. However arcane is looking more better as we pushes forward in this expansion. Most people in another thread, already gave some good points about frost and arcane, so it's worth giving it a read. Information about fire isn't hard to miss as you can find guides everywhere. I'll link you to Lexichu of methods guide which give you an insight of how fire mage is at playstyle.

Now if we speak of generally getting into a group in the groupfinder i'd definetly say go with the paladin. The ability to tank or heal is sought everywhere so easy to get into groups.
    Missing a progression is the hardest content I've encountered

I'd go with RyuuSaber on this. Go Pala and Heal/Tank. Otherwise it will be hard to get into a M+ group as freshly leveled 110 with an item level <860. As others in this thread mentioned, if you create a pug, you'll get bombarded most of the time by DD applications. It's just easier to filter them by item level and to just grab the one with the highest.

Deleted
    iLvl > class if you want invites. If you have FOTM class and high ilvl, you get invited easily, if you have FOTM class without high ilvl, you won't get invited. My friend plays warlock 875 ilvl and he can find groups easily.

Makes no sense to switch. Locks are just as good in M+ than Mages and will most likely be the best caster class once NH comes out since they get really good tier bonuses. I think youre making a mistake going Mage. Ive actually been gearing up my Lock because of whats coming ahead.

warlocks are pretty strong right now, no?

Deleted
    If you can't get into a mythic+ groups, it's not because you are warlock but probably because you have low ilvl and that won't change if you swap (dps) classes. I create a lot of mythic+ groups and actually I'd prefer a warlock over other casters (at the same ilvl) but normally I'd just invite any dps >880 and maybe 870 depending of the class (dh > monk > *).

Paladin seems pretty solid. Retri pallys are usually top1 DPS. Even if they get their damage reduced in 7.2 or 7.3 you can always spec tank or healer in any case.

Deleted
    I wouldn't suggest rerolling pure dps unless you have guild to boost you, which you obviously don't. When queing as dps people will always favor higher ilvl, although class matters but only within like 3 ilvl margin unless you are missing bl or aoe stun where it can get a bit higher.

I've done 45 mythics+ on my warlock and only 22 on my paladin while my paladin is supposed to be my main. Once you get some good legendary ( I got the belt, ) and around 30% haste destro is hella fun in m+ doing 500k+ dps on cleave and around 350k -450k burst on boss ST with trinket swap.

I have a paladin warlock and they are my main and main alt both around 870.

I got a 107 arcane mage i'm slowly leveling up but looking at repeating all of suramar for the 3rd time/ grinding mythics/M+/ all over and AP seems eh when the only thing i'll gain is less survability and maybe more burst/aoe so i can pray for group invites. Is it really worth all that headache? Locks are still viable in M+ due to health stones/bres/ and good cleave sure you might not be #1 ST if there is better classes but its all good because you drain life dat hoe when everyone else is dying and you still live popping your defensive and drain life+ health stone. I am hoping they make soulstone instant someday soon tho will be nice.

I tank on my pally in M+/ heal on my pally in pug raids/ and sometimes I'll que DPS in pug M+ if im bored to try my 3rd off spec ret. (weapons are 29/26/23). Play whatever you think is more fun but it will be easy to gear up if you tank and put your loot spec as ret.