Question Disc Priest PVP?

I know both priest specs are in the last place in healers for pvp ranking, but at least disc can be a good healer in arenas and bgs? Or it's better to just make another class?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hultentor View Post
    I know both priest specs are in the last place in healers for pvp ranking, but at least disc can be a good healer in arenas and bgs? Or it's better to just make another class?
    I have nothing to base this off of besides personal experience, but here we go. Disc seems viable to me to 1600ish for the average player, 1800+ for a good one. It's definitely possible, but if you're pushing for glad you'll have a much, much better time as resto. I think there's a couple disc at ~2.8k, most are <2200 iirc. Having two spell schools makes disc hard to interrupt, but cleave damage can be tough to deal with in arena. In BG's, they're pretty strong for healing FCs or adding pressure while keeping people up with the pvp talents they get.

Holy is bad in arena (as usual), decent-ish in BGs, a lot in part due to Spirit of Redemption.

Again, all personal experience/ observation, and your comp will determine what class you'll want to run as well. I'd be interested to hear what others are running for pvp talents tho; it hasn't been discussed much.

3's is a whole other basket of apples, but in 2's disc is godly because of it's damage and having to be double interrupted to be shut down (which really screws with healer+dps comps), and it's great damage reduction with Pain Suppression and Power Word: Barrier (even stronger with talents) which lets it handle double dps team's burst.

I can't say a lot for BG's but I've seen a few disc in the top Bg's ladders, and certainly it is plenty capable and has some ridiculous spot healing output with the right talents (which curiously is the exact opposite of it's strengths in PvE), but if you're looking to face roll your way to glory then Mistweaver is really what you want.

In 3's it is viable but it's not godly like Resto Shams. I've gotten to 1500 as disc easily just playing casually with guildies and without really knowing much about pvp (zero pvp in wod, only 1800 in 2's in mop), so it's not terrible, but looking at the ladders its definitely not the top tier that Resto Sham is.

Of course, 7.1.5 could change everything so who knows.

Can't say much about holy, other than in the 100 or so games of 2s and 3s I've done this xpac, I have seen maybe 5 holy priests. I have seen a few more in BG's though, but it definitely seems really weak in arenas.
    Disc Priests: Just 2 mana trinkets away from becoming Withered

Hi I have played a lot of Discipline in arena I was 2600 last season on US 5th in the 2v2 bracket for quiet a while so I feel qualified to comment on 2v2 especially.

Unfortunately Disc is not that amazing now in 2v2 because the strongest DPS specs for you to play with were nerfed or are countered by other classes badly. Monk healer plate teams should beat you as any melee class Disc except on 2 maps playing a particular play-style simply because if they play compitantly they can't die ever. The spec could still be 2400+ viable but probably not much higher (thats US I think EU ladders are abit more inflated).

For 3v3 until the 7.1.5 patch Disc is only better then holy priest. Many former Rank 1 players are struggling like hell to just get gladiator so no its not amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomjashroom View Post
    Unfortunately Disc is not that amazing now in 2v2 because the strongest DPS specs for you to play with were nerfed or are countered by other classes badly.
    ^THIS!!!!

I too am struggling at 2k+ mmr (no voice&lfg partners) but sometimes I just lose against people I've been outplaying the whole game or couldn't interrupt me at all. What hurts me the most is how weak Psychic Scream is compared to any other ranged cc because you just can't run to the enemy to land a fear without being cced for 30s (specially survival+rdruid) unless I get lucky and my partner is some godlike rogue and peels for me so I can follow up with his cc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythra View Post
    ^THIS!!!!

I too am struggling at 2k+ mmr (no voice&lfg partners) but sometimes I just lose against people I've been outplaying the whole game or couldn't interrupt me at all. What hurts me the most is how weak Psychic Scream is compared to any other ranged cc because you just can't run to the enemy to land a fear without being cced for 30s (specially survival+rdruid) unless I get lucky and my partner is some godlike rogue and peels for me so I can follow up with his cc.
    Idk, I see a lot of disc priests in the top 2v2s ladders

Top 100 US, 12 priests, 9 disc

Top 100 Eu, 13 priests, 8 disc (2 shadow and then 3 were 'character not found')
    Disc Priests: Just 2 mana trinkets away from becoming Withered