Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Fire Mage: Perception versus Reality

A long, but very well put together post about misconceptions related to the state of fire mages. All credit to Smalldps.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/t...2276010?page=1

Quote Originally Posted by Smalldps View Post
    Yesterday, I did a mythic + dungeon and we pulled 20 mobs. Fire mages' dps in AOE is quadractic, meaning that the more mobs present, the much higher damage we do per mob due to living bomb. As I combusted and spiked to millions of dps, the healer made a comment about how he/she wished his/her alt was a fire mage.

Do you know what the healer didn't see? The healer didn't notice the small pulls where my combustion was down where I do the dps of an ilvl 830 melee dps at 870.
    This has been posted a few time but this quote is exactly how I feel about my mage.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The sad part is, you have a better chance to explain this to a gorilla using sign language than using basic English (or other applicable languages) speaking to non mage players
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

I explained it by cancelling my sub unfortunately.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PurechaosSK View Post
    That makes two of us. Well done, sir. Plus, the steam winter sale is right around the corner

That post is amazing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    The sad part is, you have a better chance to explain this to a gorilla using sign language than using basic English (or other applicable languages) speaking to non mage players
    You have all the fucking reason. Sad.

Great post. Totally agree. He argument everything with proofs (data). I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by PurechaosSK View Post
    What made you quit exatly?

Blizzard: Calm down, we are definitely going to buff Firemage abilities to compensate our crazy 30% damage nerf !111
    A bit later:
    7.1.5. patch notes: Firemages got brand new shield that looks red!!!1111111oneoneeleven. And that's all, folks, we hope you like our "compensation".

Quote Originally Posted by Orrin View Post
    What made you quit exatly?
    There are quite a few things that are making me decide to finally unsub for awhile. Its a combination of just not enjoying certain systems. Mostly the way they were implemented. I like WQ as a concept. I just dont like how they were delivered. I like Mythic + dungeons, again i dont like how they were delivered as well as I really hate that I have to farm my BiS there. I love raiding, and raiding itself feels so worthless as a firemage when alot of good gear comes from Mythic plus. Dont get me wrong, Im not complaining because there is alot to do, im just disappointed with how it all came together. I also have 3 legendaries and none of them are fire bracers so i just watch myself fall further and further on the DPS meters. Then ToV came out and its even lower. I am not mad, especially about 7.1.5, i just feel like that patch combined with everything else is all kind of a mess at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ssviolett View Post
    Blizzard: Calm down, we are definitely going to buff Firemage abilities to compensate our crazy 30% damage nerf !111
    A bit later:
    7.1.5. patch notes: Firemages got brand new shield that looks red!!!1111111oneoneeleven. And that's all, folks, we hope you like our "compensation".
    Where the hell does it say 30% nerf? I've only seen the Flame On change, which seems amazing to me. Flame On is boring as shit right now. Would love to see all the changes that people are talking about.

Some mages tested the patch on ptr and reported 25-30% dps loss compared to live. This is without the promised buff to fire's core spells.

Quote Originally Posted by CptEgo View Post
    Where the hell does it say 30% nerf? I've only seen the Flame On change, which seems amazing to me. Flame On is boring as shit right now. Would love to see all the changes that people are talking about.
    https://www.altered-time.com/forum/v...php?f=4&t=3241

That's where.

But, if clicking links is a bit too involved, I'll gloss over the big parts:

-Combustion now only gives a 50% mastery boost, down from 100% of our crit.
    -Rune of Power now only gives 40% increased damage, down from 50.
    -The Legendary bracers now only provide a 200% increase to Pyroblast's damage, down from 300. (Which is a direct 33 percent nerf.)

The main changes that contribute to the said 30% nerf are: Combustion converting 50% crit to mastery instead of 100%, Rune of Power giving 40% increased damage instead of 50%, and the loss of 5% flat crit from Molten armor. Bracers are nerfed from 300% to 200% (maybe 250%). We also lose Ice Flows, hurting our mobile dps.

It also looked like Critical mass was losing the 10% increased crit chance for Fireball, Pyro, and Scorch, but it looks like it's simply increasing our crit chance from all sources by 10% (1.1), which looks to be a buff.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachupino View Post
    You have all the fucking reason. Sad.

Great post. Totally agree. He argument everything with proofs (data). I loved it.
    It was an excellent post, absolutely
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TiltEV View Post
    That makes two of us. Well done, sir. Plus, the steam winter sale is right around the corner
    Autumn sale is going now, why wait? Got Dishonored 1 + DLC for 10€.

As far as I can see, there has still not been any numbers tuning on the PTR, just the nerfing of these key "problem causers" to see their impact so they can measure how much they have to buff our base stats. I expect buffs to our secondary stats making crit less strong, buffs on Intellect, and some base % on fireball, fireblast and pyro.

We're currently so far under anyone else, if you really think this is the final state that they will leave us in you really need to get your head out of your ass. I'm not saying we will get buffed to gods, but the gap will be closer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MashTactics View Post
    https://www.altered-time.com/forum/v...php?f=4&t=3241

That's where.

But, if clicking links is a bit too involved, I'll gloss over the big parts:

-Combustion now only gives a 50% mastery boost, down from 100% of our crit.
    -Rune of Power now only gives 40% increased damage, down from 50.
    -The Legendary bracers now only provide a 200% increase to Pyroblast's damage, down from 300. (Which is a direct 33 percent nerf.)
    Doesn't seem too bad to me. I don't understand how any of that could possibly translate to a 30% loss in DPS. Sounds like good old nerd rage to me.
    Last edited by CptEgo; 2016-11-24 at 08:38 AM.

Doesn't seem too bad to me. I don't understand how any of that could possibly translate to a 30% loss in DPS. Sounds like good old nerd rage to me.
    Then you don't understand how fire mage works.

Uhm.. The only moment fire does Dmg is during RoP+Combustion. Nerfing both without compensation right now results in a 30% loss in DPS. It's actually not that hard to understand.