Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Paladin Vs. Warrior

How do you guys feel Warriors are performing versus their closest counterpart, Paladins? Specifically I'm interested in their tanking ability in mythic+ and raids, their DPS ability in an OS and their playability (i.e. is the rotation enjoyable)?

From what I've been reading, it seems that Warriors have a slight advantage in tanking and Arms is near the top of the DPS ranks. I haven't heard much about how enjoyable arms/fury are.

Thanks for the input everyone! Will likely post a similar topic in the Paladin forum so I can get answers from both sides.

Go with warrior.

Forgot to mention, is there any early indication that Warriors are facing any major nerfs in 7.1.5?

They are moving some skills around for 7.1.5 prot warrior but not really nerfs, just less buttons to hit.

Focused Rage is replaced with Revenge
    Revenge is replaced with Thunder Clap.

Devastate can be passive on auto attacks.

Could also make crit and haste slightly more valuable.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

Most importantly, are the specs fun?!

Quote Originally Posted by Prussian View Post
    Most importantly, are the specs fun?!
    Arms is not fun.

Fury is fun but ineffective.

Prot you either love it or hate it, but its less dynamic and more brain dead than other tank specs, especially in 7.1.5.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    Imo, ret is more fun than arms and less fun than fury.

But prot war is more fun than prot pally.

I cant stand holy.

On a lore and looks side, i enjoy the paladin way more, also, belive it or not, i enjoyed the class mount of pally way better than the warrior one.

So its totally up to you xD

Similar to Nihal here.

Arms is active (lots of key presses) even though few buttons and heavily influenced by rng. Not exactly fun, imo.

Fury is more fun, but due to having already dumped most of my artifact power into Arms to perform, I can't really say too much outside of "it feels more complete" than Arms.

I like Ret (a fuller version of Arms, without so much rng) but some of my guildies (who haven't touched Arms) complain that it's boring and simple (and I could just be bias because it's not Arms).

I like Protadin over Protwarrior in terms of tanking both mythic raids and mythic + dungeons, but Protadin can easily get out of hand and punished with SotR not being intended for 100% uptime. However, Prot Warrior lets me feel more in control of my health bar and capable of main tanking a heavy boss (although I could just be worse at Protadin).

Deleted
    Here's my 2 cents on the fun factor for these classes (at least what specs I have played):

1. Protection Warrior - Ultimate / Vengeance talents chosen only, since I haven't played anything else

Imo this is not a braindead spec, at least not druid level braindead spec. Ignore Pain usage (like try to use it with artifact buff, try to use it when you are not 100% hp, try to use it when preferably you have an ultimate proc in the background), Focused Rage weaving, are pretty interesting mechanics, fun and not that easy.

The mobility of the warrior is my favourite aspect though.

2. Prot Paladin

This is also a fun spec, what I find really fun is cd weaving when SotR is not up, which is not that easy, seraphim usage, and LotP delaying. Again, not braindead, at least not druid level braindead.

The turn off though is lack of mobility, only horse and consecration slow. I don't like it.

3. Holy Paladin

Pretty boring, generally press whatever ability is off cooldown. This is a good summary for people starting to heal with paladins. I am sure there are a lot of intricacies to this class, since all healers are high skill cap, but the core gameplay does not suit me.

Deleted
    Prot paladin are the most boring tank class for me. I only enjoy the disc throwing spell and thats it.

Ret paladin has a very simple rotation that can get boring real quick, however the utility ret provides makes it overall rather interesting, its not a pure dps dps dps. If we compare similar easy mode dps rotation, I have more fun with frost DK, its more nervous and feels better. However frost DK is just a tunnel vision spec, barely zero utility.

Arms I find it rather boring but gets better with overpower.

Fury is pretty fun, at least for AOE. The single target rotation is decent, I just don't like spamming filler spells like furious slash.

Arms is so **cking boring and full of rng that make me want to reroll, also we have only one deffensive CD with 3 min of wait.

I accept sugestions of a fun/no rng spec btw.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianSummer View Post
    Here's my 2 cents on the fun factor for these classes (at least what specs I have played):

1. Protection Warrior - Ultimate / Vengeance talents chosen only, since I haven't played anything else

Imo this is not a braindead spec, at least not druid level braindead spec. Ignore Pain usage (like try to use it with artifact buff, try to use it when you are not 100% hp, try to use it when preferably you have an ultimate proc in the background), Focused Rage weaving, are pretty interesting mechanics, fun and not that easy.

The mobility of the warrior is my favourite aspect though.

2. Prot Paladin

This is also a fun spec, what I find really fun is cd weaving when SotR is not up, which is not that easy, seraphim usage, and LotP delaying. Again, not braindead, at least not druid level braindead.

The turn off though is lack of mobility, only horse and consecration slow. I don't like it.

3. Holy Paladin

Pretty boring, generally press whatever ability is off cooldown. This is a good summary for people starting to heal with paladins. I am sure there are a lot of intricacies to this class, since all healers are high skill cap, but the core gameplay does not suit me.
    Focused rage is going away.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Deleted
    Yes, but hopefully the revenge weaving will require the same amount of effort. I haven't played on PTR so I don't know
    Last edited by mmoca79218b8e0; 2016-11-24 at 03:01 PM.

Deleted
    Arms is great! The feeling of charging and leaping around on the battlefield while dealing those huge crits... There is nothing more fun. Moreover, arms rotation is very engaging (one of the highest apm required) and complex. There is huge difference between a good and great arms warrior.

To sum up, if u like the feeling of being a war machine that is shreding his victims apart arms is for u.
    Last edited by mmoc5633d002d8; 2016-11-24 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lawomous View Post
    They are moving some skills around for 7.1.5 prot warrior but not really nerfs, just less buttons to hit.

Devastate can be passive on auto attacks.

This is going to make protection warrior super fucking boring to play.

Deleted
    @up
    Prot was the most booring tank spec anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by lawomous View Post

Focused Rage is going away for reasons I can't fathom. Ultimatum as well.
    Revenge is still Revenge, just dumber and harder to use.
    Thunderclap is getting a healthy buff. The buff that should've went to Revenge.

Crit is getting nerfed badly. Even if you could stack enough of it for big avoidance, Revenge still has a cooldown and Warriors have absolutely no other Avoidance or crit strike synergy. Haste might be better with Devastator coming.

I'm looking forward to becoming the Worst Tank again. It doesn't feel right performing well with a competently designed spec. If I'm not pushing boulders uphill, I'm not really trying.

Unless they take away Intercept, Heroic Leap and Spell Reflect. I still need to be able to ZOOM!, jump on heads and laugh at spellcasters.
    Last edited by Ivanstone; 2016-11-24 at 06:54 PM.

Well, I just want to add that I tested 7.1.5 Prot Warr on PTR and I really dislike it. I thought Revenge would be off the GCD when it proced so you could use it like Focused Rage, but it is still on the GCD.

There wasnt much of a reason to press it if it took a GCD and gave no rage or chance to reset Shield Slam, the only time I felt like pressing it was when using the Devastator talent because I was desperate for a third button to hit from my "fun" two button rotation of waiting for two cooldowns and autoattacking.

Also I havent seen it anywhere but Thunder Clap only gives 3 rage which was barely noticeable.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

The idea of what is fun and isn't fun depends on the style of gameplay you like. My only experience is with Arms and Fury. I haven't seriously played Prot warrior or any paladin spec this xpac. My experience is that Arms is a simpler spec to play than Fury once you get the hang of it. Both Arms and Fury have burst windows involving Battle Cry that you prep for. Arms decision tree outside of the battlecry is super predictable and simple, while the decision tree inside can change based on rng involving CS resets. Fury is sort of the opposite. Your burst window is consistently the same thing every time and doesn't rely on RNG, while outside Battlecry you have a lot more decision making to do based on Enrage RNG.

Out of the box, Fury's AE is on a shorter CD and more useful than Arms and therefore it can be "better" for M+, though Arms can be a ST target compliment to heavy AE groups in any M+ comp. If you are lucky enough to get the legs+waist, Arms can perform as well as Fury when it comes to AE and outdo it ST. That being said, Fury with it's 2 best ST Legendaries can perform as well as Arms ST without it's ST legendaries.

I'd say that Fury's gameplay is more consistent yet more complicated while Arms is more RNG and Simpler, but that's just my take.

I personally prefer Arms as I prefer the asthetic and also find it simpler to manage while having to pay attention to fight mechanics.

Sorry i just wasn't able ro refrain myself...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_iOTBTyupc