Help with frost dps

-updated-

started another topic for frost dps.
    Last edited by Ferrair; 2016-11-28 at 07:27 AM.

I find it better to hold onto Fingers of Frost (FoF) procs (the thing that boosts Ice Lance) until 4 or 5 Icicles stacks, your FoF buff is about to expire, or you reach 3 FoF buffs. (2 FoF buffs if you don't have the Artifact trait for a third stack of it.) You're likely using the Thermal Void talent, though, so I can see you wanting to spam IL.

Note this, however: there is an Artifact trait that lowers the cooldown on Ice Veins each time your frostbolt crits, which is why haste and crit are your highest stats. 78% uptime might mean that other mage was casting FoF buffed IL, plus high crit on frostbolts to renew IV again.

Icicle stacks are 100% completely irrelevant to playing TV frost. Please stop telling people to pay attention to Icicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmcantor View Post
    Icicle stacks are 100% completely irrelevant to playing TV frost. Please stop telling people to pay attention to Icicles.
    That advice was mostly for if you're not using TV. Personally, I prefer Comet Storm. However, once I get improved Icy Veins from the artifact, the value of TV will be higher, and I might just have to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    That advice was mostly for if you're not using TV. Personally, I prefer Comet Storm. However, once I get improved Icy Veins from the artifact, the value of TV will be higher, and I might just have to.
    What are you talking about. Improved IV is 20 seconds, regardless of TV or not. And no builds care about how many icicles you currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    I still don't get it. Why are you holding FoF procs until you get 4 or 5 stacks of Icicle? What changes?

Icicles have a chance of being boosted by the artifact, one of the traits. In questing I hold onto shards, to clarify. When you have 5 shards, further frostbolts automatically launch an icicle with the bolt.

I played frost a long time ago so correct me if I'm wrong, but perhaps holding onto icicles could be "a thing" if RoP is about to come off cooldown?

Number one. Don't pay attention to icicles lmao.

Second: The best talents for Single Target
    Bone chill
    Ice flows
    Rune of power* (encanters flow is VERY close so I use that because screw RoP)
    Frozen touch
    Unstable magic
    Thermal void

Notable things with rotation include:
    Have ice lance damage buff up before ice lancing, because of your stat priority it should always at least be at one stack before you cap out of FoF (This does not apply to your opener. Like that snow chick says just let the ice lances go at start)

Some people don't know that flurry procs let you ice lance right after. So do that.

Lust at start has a very big impact on whether or not you keep icy veins up.

That's what I remember off the top of my head.

Search for cablok on proudmoore if you want to see logs for frost and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by Parhelion View Post
    I played frost a long time ago so correct me if I'm wrong, but perhaps holding onto icicles could be "a thing" if RoP is about to come off cooldown?
    It is not. Icicle damage is determined when Frostbolt is cast, not when they are fired.

There is no point to hold your FOF procs for any stacks of Icicle.

If your going with a heavy haste build, I would suggest using this spec http://www.wowhead.com/talent-calc/mage/frost/cBNz as I've found it to be the best single target spec frost has If you reach certain haste breakpoints.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Parhelion View Post
    Icicles damage is calculated when you get them, not when you use them.