Deleted

What caster for long time melee

I'm looking for a change from my ret and fancy a ranged but in the past when I've tried my mid level mage I tend to panic when melee are on me and I can't get casts off. I realise it's all melee orientated PvP ATM but are there any casters that aren't frustrating to play? I don't care about what's fotm but I don't want to get stomped. Leaning towards ele/affli/frost, not interested in hunter. Any advice much appreciated.

Deleted
    Wait for caster buffs, then decide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably not Ele. I'd go Affliction because there are lots of instant casts.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Every caster is pretty frustrating to play, and probably always will be. However when you do actually have a chance to get damage off, there's normally a high reward.

There honestly aren't any at the moment. Warlock is probably the least frustrating right now.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    There honestly aren't any at the moment. Warlock is probably the least frustrating right now.
    Although the nerf of UA dispel protection has made it significantly more frustrating than it was previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Regalbeast View Post
    Probably not Ele. I'd go Affliction because there are lots of instant casts.
    I gotta say, Ele is feeling pretty nice right now though!

Affi is always a good time though, especially for a melee player.

Deleted
    Frost Mage: there is no melee who can 1vs1 a good Frost Mage (Feral maybe?), but then other casters with good self healing can make you some troubles, like Affliction, Ele or SP.
    But if you play Affliction or SP you will lose vs ALL melees but you will perform well vs casters and Hunter
    So, right now, Frost Mage is the only caster who can stop melee train, but is not very good vs other casters, while Affliction is a God vs casters but sucks vs all melees.

Oh, Elemental is not that bad: good vs melee and vs range ...
    Not sure about Moonkins.

But there is 7.1.5 coming soon and things can change drastically ...
    Last edited by mmoc4f70414cfa; 2016-11-29 at 02:46 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks for the words of wisdom guys. I'm torn with both frost and affli as pets piss me right off, so maybe ele is the way to go. Whats arcane like?

Deleted
    Arcane looks very promising in 7.1.5.
    Btw you can play both Affliction and Frost without a pet, through talents (Lonely Winter and GoSac) and it works quite well: more dmg, less control. Especially vs certain comps.

Just want to chime in and say that as ele I feel very comfortable against most melee classes, rogue with cloak up being the exception. Between earthbind, earthgrab, frostshock spam (with icefury dmg), thunderstorm knockback + slow, earth shock stun, tornado jump talent, and lightning lasso channeled 6 sec stun I usually have an answer for most melees and their gap closers.

I do want to add that Ive seen maybe 5 ferals in all of this seasons rated combat so I am not confident in saying I will comfortably deal with them everytime.