Page 1 of 18
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry 27% of Europeans say rape may be acceptable in some circumstances

LONDON — A rape victim was drunk? He or she flirted beforehand or wore “revealing” clothing? In some European countries, up to 55 percent of the population says such circumstances would make sexual intercourse without consent justifiable or acceptable, according to a survey conducted on behalf of the European Commission. Overall, about one-fourth — 27 percent — of all Europeans held that opinion.

The number is much higher in Eastern and Central European nations such as Romania, Hungary, Bulgaria and the Czech Republic. In Romania, more than 50 percent of all respondents said nonconsensual sexual intercourse was acceptable in some circumstances. Although there was a clear divide between Eastern and Western Europe, geography alone does not explain the striking differences.

In Belgium, for instance, 40 percent agreed that sexual intercourse without consent is justified in some circumstances, whereas only 15 percent said so in neighboring Netherlands.

Across Europe, 27 percent of young men said that some situations justified sexual intercourse without consent, compared with 20 percent of young women who were polled. Overall, nearly 30,000 Europeans responded to the survey.

The report's authors called for more attention on protecting women from becoming victims of sexual assault. “There are still Member States where there is considerable work to do in addressing perceptions about gender-based violence, particularly the idea that violence against women is often provoked by the victim or that women often make up or exaggerate claims of abuse or rape,” they wrote.

Malta, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia were noted as being particularly worrisome in that regard.

The E.U. report comes amid growing concern about recent sexual assaults in European countries by refugees or immigrants. In Germany, mass sexual assaults this past New Year's Eve led to a stricter sexual-assault law that also eased deportation rules for refugees convicted of sex-related offenses.

The changes, which were approved by parliament in July, appeared to be aimed at two overlapping targets: closing legal loopholes amid complaints that German codes on sexual assaults are too lax and addressing mounting public backlash after the country absorbed the bulk of the wave of migrants and refugees from the Middle East and beyond last year.

As a result, countries such as Germany also introduced courses for refugees with the declared aim of teaching newcomers respect for women.

The survey released by the European Commission, the executive arm of the E.U., appears to show that Europe's sexual-assault-acceptance problem is not limited to immigrants, however. Twenty-seven percent of all native Germans said sexual intercourse without consent may be justified in some circumstances, a number that exactly matches the average across the E.U.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...circumstances/

Yikes.
    Just what is going on here?
    27%? Rape is never acceptable. Even 1% thinking that it is, is too much!

I couldn't believe this when I first read it!

10+ Year Old Account
    What are we going to do @Tennisace ! !!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    It was 0%, but then they found out about tennisace

10+ Year Old Account
    must have asked these people

dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    That's just Europeans integrating with refugee culture.
    Last edited by The One Percent; 2016-12-01 at 06:46 PM.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    That sounds terrible high but uhm im now wondering though what the numbers in other parts of the world are and what questions exactly were asked

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    must have asked these people

Shouldnt make me laugh, but it did. Self defense rape, im seriously curious if anybody ever tried that in court lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Across Europe, 27 percent of young men said that some situations justified sexual intercourse without consent, compared with 20 percent of young women who were polled.
    So the difference between the sexes here is 7% and not just that it's 27% of young men in europe that think this way, but also 20% of young women.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...circumstances/

Yikes.
    Just what is going on here?
    27%? Rape is never acceptable. Even 1% thinking that it is, is too much!

I couldn't believe this when I first read it!
    One of the questions is (do you find rape acceptable if the woman is) "Not clearly saying no or fighting back". This is a stupid bloody question. If the victim doesn't indicate that she isn't consenting then how is the man supposed to know the girl isn't consenting? There is usually some kind of legal acknowledgement that the woman has to communicate a lack of consent in some way for it to be considered rape. I suspect if you took that question out the % would drop.

Be very wary of surveys with multiple questions where a positive response to one question only is used to contrive a statistic.

Btw I'm guessing you have feminist sympathies-it really is not a good idea to publicize data suggesting men think rape is ok. That is horrible psychology. It makes potential rapists think that rape is socially acceptable. This type of misleading study will almost certainly have the opposite effect to the one it wants.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nalle View Post
    So the difference between the sexes here is 7% and not just that it's 27% of young men in europe that think this way, but also 20% of young women.
    That's cool and all but what about the 80% of women who would like to have a say in giving consent?

Quote Originally Posted by nalle View Post
    I think theres an easy fix for that. Just take that 20% women and let that 27% men rape only them. I just fixed europe, sorry tennisace, i rescued them from themselves first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why didn't you highlight the part that says "20% of women polled said it was acceptable in some circumstances"?

a difference of 7% isn't massive and shows that both males and females seem to think that in some cases its acceptable. Mens % is higher according to the poll, but not by much.
    dragonmaw - EU

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    What are we going to do @Tennisace ! !!!!
    Genn, you post the same question in every post Tennis makes.
    If you want to win in 2020 you need to switch it up a notch. Come up with something new, dude!

On topic: Yeah, thats disturbing to read.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    That's cool and all but what about the 80% of women who would like to have a say in giving consent?
    Did you actually look at the questions? I just covered this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    One of the questions is (do you find rape acceptable if the woman is) "Not clearly saying no or fighting back". This is a stupid bloody question. If the victim doesn't indicate that she isn't consenting then how is the man supposed to know the girl isn't consenting? There is usually some kind of legal acknowledgement that the woman has to communicate a lack of consent in some way for it to be considered rape. I suspect if you took that question out the % would drop.

Be very wary of surveys with multiple questions where a positive response to one question only is used to contrive a statistic.

Btw I'm guessing you have feminist sympathies-it really is not a good idea to publicize data suggesting men think rape is ok. That is horrible psychology. It makes potential rapists think that rape is socially acceptable. This type of misleading study will almost certainly have the opposite effect to the one it wants.
    i would be interested to see the % for each question really. becaise like the example you posted is just stupid and is probably skewing it a lot.
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Genn, you post the same question in every post Tennis makes.
    If you want to win in 2020 you need to switch it up a notch. Come up with something new, dude!

On topic: Yeah, thats disturbing to read.
    But Tenn needs to telll us what to do on the issues that matter to them D:

Raping someone in a game - yes

e.g. omg you got totally raped by my deck in hearthstone gg ez bm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Nope, bullshit. I'm calling it now. Surveys are fucking retarded.

Where are these surveyors who are magically calling and finding this shit out? Why haven't i or anyone i know ever gotten a call from one? Who the fuck tells a random person on the phone that sometimes rape is acceptable?

Bullshit, it's fucking bullshit.
    I think its more the question is bullshit, like the example advanta gave, it would be more interesting to see the response to the individual scenarios as i think that one may be slightly different to the rest.
    dragonmaw - EU

I don't really believe those numbers. No reasonable person could ever think that rape is okay. I can't help but feel like the way the question was originally present and the way the data is presented doesn't exactly match what we're seeing now. I don't think anyone would ever say that non-consensual sex is ever okay no matter the circumstance, not seriously anyway. Whether you consider consent while heavily intoxicated actual consent or not is a completely different story however. When a person is intoxicated and gives consent only to later withdraw their consent after sobering up it complicates the issue. On the one hand you could say that you shouldn't drink if you feel you could end up in situations where you couldn't rightly give consent. On the other hand it's wrong to take advantage of someones loose inhibitions while they're intoxicated to obtain consent. Both are dependent on each persons ability to be reasoned human beings, but alcohol interferes with the ability to make sound decisions so personal responsibility is even more so important here.

On the issue of the refugees I know nothing of it so I won't even bother commenting about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    I think theres an easy fix for that. Just take that 20% women and let that 27% men rape only them. I just fixed europe, sorry tennisace, i rescued them from themselves first.
    Yeah. I don't think it is that simple. Can you elaborate on this alleged "fix".

How would you get like minded folk to mix?