Toms on kaby lake 7700 "power consumption and thermal characteristics disappointing"

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...view,4836.html

They were able to get 4.8ghz out of the sample they had compared to 4.6ghz for skylake ( as expected), but the thermals were out of control at 97c a full 22c over skylake.

The longer time goes on the more i realize how sandy bridge is the best overclocking CPU of all time, and we likely will never see anything like it again. I have a 30 dollar CPU cooler and i can do 4.5ghz under 60c....thats insane. Even pushed to the max with an stupid 1.5v my 2500k at 5.0ghz never goes above ~72c in a prime 95 stress test.

If this review is legit and representative of an average 7700k its off my list of potential upgrade path, i guess zen is the only hope us sandy bridge owners have lol.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-11-30 at 04:15 PM.

I'm still running my 2600k at 4.4ghz and don't see any reason to "upgrade". Marginal improvements at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like Intel is still having problems with 14nm, just like AMD is having. At this point I wouldn't upgrade from Haswell unless there were more cores or some significant performance increase. It would have to be well over 30% different from Haswell for anyone wanting to upgrade.

Good news is that Zen rumors are floating around the internet and things are looking good so far. I wouldn't expect it to outperform Skylake, but as long as it's nearly Haswell like performance with a realistic price, I'm totally fine with that. It's all about that price performance. And right now Intel's butt rape is real.

If they can match haswell IPC and sell me a 8 core 16 thread CPU for ~300 bucks id seriously think about upgrading.

Well now I'm happy I bought my 6700k and didn't wait for this generation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by swisscheese View Post
    Well now I'm happy I bought my 6700k and didn't wait for this generation
    They're basically the same thing apart from some extremely minor differences.

The "main difference" between the two is supposed to be Intel's "14nm+" process. But Intel already had more than 1 variation of their node, one of them focusing on density and the other one in fmax. They also don't want to talk about what they changed in their transistors in this "new" process. The 6700K was already manufactured on the "performance" process and I doubt there were that much to change at it to warrant any big improvements at all, the difference is probably just maturity and some minor parameters. It's just a new stepping.

The thing is, Intel wants to sell CPUs more frequently than they currently do so they're releasing new things like "4K Netflix support" in the third iteration of the node so there's at least a reason for some people to buy those. I believe TH's sample was just bad, it shouldn't really have any meaningful difference to the 6700K. 22ºC over it is just too weird, the process difference was rumored to give it a ~12% performance increase due to higher clocks under the same power, but the uarch is literally the same.

5ghz with 1.464v, 98ºC
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2016-11-30 at 04:41 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    If they can match haswell IPC and sell me a 8 core 16 thread CPU for ~300 bucks id seriously think about upgrading.
    Think thats rumoured to be a bit more then that but that still makes it cheaper then intels counter part and even if broadwell E was 10% better, being half the price is something that 10% just can't justify.

I am more interested in the 4 core/8 threads which is poised against the I3 from a rumoured price prespective, even if the I5 is 10% better, if its priced like that I3 or less, then its a real win in my books since it will allow more people to have strong performance at a good price.

AMD does not need to be better, it just needs to be decent in comparison with the price to match, as long as the games still give a strong showing for the same settings then we are in a good spot and be very good for budding video editors since it seems more and more people are game recording these days.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Intel took the ball which AMD dropped and doubled down on their tick-tock model in spite of having minimal real-world gains per generation and now we're seeing what should have happened several generations ago had there been actual competition. In hindsight, Intel could have gone Sandy > Haswell > Kaby and even then they'd still be milking it then push 10nm in 2017 to counter any potential issues brought on by Zen.

I'm a little surprised by those thermals though so it makes me wonder if there's an issue with the BIOS or the board itself.

I'm honestly more interested in the lower end. The i3-7350k is a curiosity to me since it's an officially unlocked i3 with a base speed of 4.2ghz which makes me wonder how high that ceiling is before it either gets thermal throttled or simply quits. You can take a i3-6100 and bclk overclock it with stock cooling to 4ghz but they're capable of hitting 4.4ghz which could mean we'll see 5ghz i3s on air. The only downside is that the rumored price of $177 USD puts it almost on par with a 6500 which can also be bclk overclocked to 4.4ghz along with being quad core. At least they're both using the same socket, right?

All that said, here's to hoping Zen can shake up this incredibly stale CPU market in price and performance. If anything, it might make Cannonlake a worth-while upgrade to Intel users.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2016-11-30 at 04:43 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Technically there are more stuff in Kabylake, more to do with some HDR and other video encoding things that aren't present in Skylake, however that is kind of meh to majority of people anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    Intel took the ball which AMD dropped and doubled down on their tick-tock model in spite of having minimal real-world gains per generation and now we're seeing what should have happened several generations ago had there been actual competition. In hindsight, Intel could have gone Sandy > Haswell > Kaby and even then they'd still be milking it then push 10nm in 2017 to counter any potential issues brought on by Zen.
    Quick note, they went from tick tock, the process > architecture. To PAO or whatever acronym, basically Process, Architecture, Optimization. Kabylake is the optimization part.
    I'm a little surprised by those thermals though so it makes me wonder if there's an issue with the BIOS or the board itself.
    I vote shitty thermal interface!

Hell, AMD uses solder on their APUs, same kind as the HEDT ones that Intel uses. Person that took it off destroyed the chip though due to heating it up to melt the solder and couldn't use a vice due to how the package is set up. A huge difference between Sandy Bridge and current ones is that the thermal interface between the die and the heat spreader is that Sandy Bridge used solder which really helped a lot with overclocking in the thermal department, however from Ivy Bridge on they used crappy TIM. Think the usual temperature delta is around 10-15C(?, going from crappy tim to liquid metal anyways) Not entirely sure.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/228255/a...-apu-de-lidded
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-11-30 at 06:29 PM.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Hell, AMD uses solder on their APUs, same kind as the HEDT ones that Intel uses. Person that took it off destroyed the chip though due to heating it up to melt the solder and couldn't use a vice due to how the package is set up. A huge difference between Sandy Bridge and current ones is that the thermal interface between the die and the heat spreader is that Sandy Bridge used solder which really helped a lot with overclocking in the thermal department, however from Ivy Bridge on they used crappy TIM. Think the usual temperature delta is around 10-15C(?, going from crappy tim to liquid metal anyways) Not entirely sure.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/228255/a...-apu-de-lidded
    Sounds right and didn't even occur to me. You can TIM swap an i7 Skylake with your average, run-of-the-mill paste and it'll usually see a load drop of 3 - 4C so I would imagine tossing on some CoolLaboratory Liquid PRO or Ultra would net a fairly significant drop. I'd probably slice off my thumb if I tried to delid though.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2016-11-30 at 07:22 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

15+ Year Old Account
    They are not really making any big upgrades on new CPU's. These new are not made for overclockers. They just bump clocks out of the box.

I'm running my 6700k at 4.7ghz under water, and I'm not going to upgrade for a very long time. I will only buy next-gen Titan and be happy with that for a while. The only problem is I have a custom hardline loop and that's a bitch to upgrade...

Kaby gives a bit better OC than Skylake

an OCed 6700K or a 7700K is still going to be the fastest CPU to get up to late 2017 for gaming only, Zen wont change that at all .. its going to stay that way until Coffee Lake/Cannonlake/Zen+