Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh man, so many feels... I think that's what Erikson does so well.

He manages to set these amazing characters up, give them the most pointless idiotic deaths... Yet somehow they have more impact that if they'd given some heroic last stand and died to save a village of nuns.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    His post had no graph or graphic of any kind, what are you on about?
    You can't see that graph?

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Oh, go check it out. It literally dwarfs ASOIAF's universe in every conceivable way. Erikson's universe spans continents, realities, and pocket universes, and each one is fully fleshed out and realized.

Side note: when people talk about GRRM killing off their favorite characters and how sad they are about it I just laugh and think about literally every book in the Malazan series.
    Difficult for me to verify that without actually reading it (it sounds great, but I have so little time to read these days and I'm already trying to read Marvel's entire back history on Marvel Unlimited :P), but have you looked into GRRM's back history of Westeros/Essos? When talking about the scale of the universe I'm not just talking about what appears in the text but the mapping out of the universe behind it. Otherwise Tolkien wouldn't even be in the running, only a tiny percentage of his Legendarium actually appears in the Hobbit/LoTR.

P.S. Are we to assume that the name of the world in ASoIAF is "Os"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

Difficult for me to verify that without actually reading it (it sounds great, but I have so little time to read these days and I'm already trying to read Marvel's entire back history on Marvel Unlimited :P), but have you looked into GRRM's back history of Westeros/Essos? When talking about the scale of the universe I'm not just talking about what appears in the text but the mapping out of the universe behind it. Otherwise Tolkien wouldn't even be in the running, only a tiny percentage of his Legendarium actually appears in the Hobbit/LoTR.

Just go read the Malazan series. Lol. It spans so many different time periods, worlds, realities, blah blah that its sort of overwhelming for awhile. I'm not going to say it dwarfs GRRM's stuff but its definitely very large in scope and detail. I would say that sometimes its a bit less personal than some of the more intricate interactions between characters in ASoIAF in favor of a larger scope. Its very good all around though.

Probably one of the more obvious things besides what I've already listed that changes the scope of the Malazan series to something so large are the transitions from the random single soldier or peasant to general to king to the confrontations between demigods and then gods themselves. Different cultures clashing etc. You end up with the feeling of some kind of endless loop that's constantly evolving and that some of your favorite characters are so microscopic in the big picture that its hard to really compare the scope to something like ASoIAF
    Last edited by Erolian; 2016-12-03 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    His post had no graph or graphic of any kind, what are you on about?
    There is, in fact, a graph there. If you check the post you quoted you'll see the image link in the bbcode.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    A Song of Ice and Fire is the best fantasy book series since Lord of the Rings.
    I disagree. It's good, but it's not that good.

Those of you who said it, sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but GRRM already said if he dies before they are finished he doesn't want anyone else to finish them.

Quote Originally Posted by Squishysib View Post
    Those of you who said it, sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but GRRM already said if he dies before they are finished he doesn't want anyone else to finish them.
    He already told HBO the primary course of events and the ending so they can finish it themselves without his help.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    He already told HBO the primary course of events and the ending so they can finish it themselves without his help.
    They have already veered off, and it won't be true to the book regardless besides the broad plots and endings.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Niles Rumfoord View Post
    The author who will finish the books will probably be born in a year or two, be patient.
    Not true we have brandon sanderson or will wight to finish them for us.

I'll never understand why anyone reads RR Martin "books". They're basically badly written historical novels. They read like the romance of the three kingdoms. While classic literature, they aren't good.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

I think I need to start with one

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm guessing one of my addons isn't showing it, even when I quote that post, due to various adblocking reasons. I'm certain it's not in imgur, since that always shows.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    I disagree. It's good, but it's not that good.
    Depends on what one wants from a series. I want complexity, compelling story and something new, as in something that breaks the mold. Because regular fantasy is very, very boring and predictable.

I have to be careful in this thread. It turned into a Malazan thread, and I'm not that far into Midnight Tides.

I've spoiled a couple things for myself due to not being careful when checking the Malazan wiki. Sometimes I have to go there to remember who a character is. It pisses me off when there is a long entry for a character, but they put some major spoiler in the first couple sentences.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

10+ Year Old Account
    Can there be a Nordos and a Sossos?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    I have to be careful in this thread. It turned into a Malazan thread, and I'm not that far into Midnight Tides.

I've spoiled a couple things for myself due to not being careful when checking the Malazan wiki. Sometimes I have to go there to remember who a character is. It pisses me off when there is a long entry for a character, but they put some major spoiler in the first couple sentences.
    Yeah the Malazan wiki can be a dangerous place to browse if you're not done the series yet. I hope you enjoy it!

PS: Gardens of the Moon is considered by most to be the least of the books, sort of like a pilot episode. There was something about it being specifically written with the potential for a movie followup, or something like that, and I think that affected the pacing.

In any event, trust me when I say that Deadhouse Gates will punch your dick in sideways and then tear it out through the gaping hole it has carved in your heart.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah the Malazan wiki can be a dangerous place to browse if you're not done the series yet. I hope you enjoy it!

PS: Gardens of the Moon is considered by most to be the least of the books, sort of like a pilot episode. There was something about it being specifically written with the potential for a movie followup, or something like that, and I think that affected the pacing.

In any event, trust me when I say that Deadhouse Gates will punch your dick in sideways and then tear it out through the gaping hole it has carved in your heart.

Yeah. Deadhouse has a very sad ending. Just about all of them have had major bummer happen at the end.

It took me some effort to get into Midnight Tides mainly because almost all of the characters are new. I wanna read more about the 800 characters I've already been introduced to, lol.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

There probably isn't room on the map for a Nordos, but we should petition GRRM for a Sossos :P

There probably isn't room on the map for a Nordos, but we should petition GRRM for a Sossos :P
    There is a Sothoryos/Sothoros already.

Quote Originally Posted by Squishysib View Post
    There is a Sothoryos/Sothoros already.
    Oh yes, I think I've seen that on some maps.

Oh yes, I think I've seen that on some maps.
    Dany mentions it in ADWD as well.