Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Is an 8 to 9 a terrible review score?

Okay so yeah reviews not made by you are based on other people's opinions, but if a game averages an 8 - 9 and 80s on Metacritic, is it shit? I'm kind of disappointed seeing that's how the new FF turned out but don't know if I'm being dumb.

Deleted
    An 8 is a good score.

But an 8 is a disappointing score for a Final Fantasy game that people waited like 10 years for.

Depends, are the reviews the professional (ie paid) reviews or the player reviews? 8-9/10 player reviews is good.

I'm have become picky over the last 20 years. When I check the meta scores of the games in the past, 9/10 is a great game, 8/10 is a medicore/ok game, 7/10 already sucks and 6/10 and lower is complete trash.

I bought FF15 and played it for 2 hours now and 8/10 fits with my experience. It's good so far, but I'm not really impressed and the setting, acting and story is pretty cringeworthy. The modern setting with cars and smartphone makes many action of the protagonists illogical or downright stupid. Fighting random creatures and finding magic crystal near the road also feels strange and wrong. The worlds of the other Final Fantasy games, even in a "modern" steam punk scenario didn't feel so off and absurd. The battle system also makes little sense in a modern world Why swords if you could just buy a modern AR-15-like semi-automatic or a hunting rifle to kill wild animals. Why do you kill random gigantic scorpions to pay for your repair bill in a '60s style US gas stop. Stuff like that. I will continue to play it, but it's very surreal even for a fantasy game. It rubs me the wrong way all the time.
    Last edited by Kryos; 2016-11-29 at 07:45 PM.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

You can pretty much totally ignore any "official" review score, and spend 15 minutes looking into player reviews instead. When gaming journalism has made it so that an 8 out of 10 is a disappointment, you've fucked up. So... probably hard to say. Ignore them.

The vast majority of games won't get lower than a 5 or 6 maybe 4. So I'd say the scale goes from 6-9:
    6 = bad
    7 = not too bad
    8 = good
    9 = great
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    I'm have become picky over the last 20 years. When I check the meta scores of the games in the past, 9/10 is a great game, 8/10 is a medicore/ok game, 7/10 already sucks and 6/10 and lower is complete trash.
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/wo...-the-lich-king so WoLK sucks/is mediocre?

Generally I'd agree (mainly for new/indie games), but for many games it also depends on the community etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conflux View Post
    An 8 is a good score.

But an 8 is a disappointing score for a Final Fantasy game that people waited like 10 years for.
    I disagree. FF is such a contentious series that has so many people who love it but have very different ideas of what it should be and what point in its evolution was the best. We know that many people who love FF3/6 think that FF7 is a terrible game, and vice versa. FFT is often either adored or maligned, depending on who you ask.

People have very strong opinions about FF games, but there is no consensus as to what makes a good FF game. 8/10 as an aggregate score is quite good.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

I've played some horrible hyped games that score 8-10, reviews are absolute shit these days, reminds me of IMDB.

There is literally no reasonable metric in which an 8-9/10 would be bad. Even by US grading systems (where "failing" is a 5 and "average" is a 7) those are still good scores.

I haven't the foggiest clue what would give you that impression in the slightest, it's irrational.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    There is literally no reasonable metric in which an 8-9/10 would be bad. Even by US grading systems (where "failing" is a 5 and "average" is a 7) those are still good scores.

I haven't the foggiest clue what would give you that impression in the slightest, it's irrational.
    Well, seeing how the professional reviews are always to be disregarded due to how they're pretty much never correct, one can understand (with a few seconds of pondering) where such an impression would come from.

I think too many games get 9s and 10s. A 10 should be perfection, like once in a generation type game(for example Ocarina of Time). 9 should be a great game, something that wins Game of the Year. 8 should be a good, solid game that is worth the money.

Problem is people think 8 = average.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Well, seeing how the professional reviews are always to be disregarded due to how they're pretty much never correct,
    Citation needed.

one can understand (with a few seconds of pondering) where such an impression would come from.
    Can you spell it out for me, then? Because I'm still not seeing it in the slightest.

I always looked at this way:

10: Instant Classic
    9: Excellent
    8: Really Good
    7: Like mostly by fans of game genre
    6: Only hardcore fanbois of the IP will like this
    5: Bargain bin game you take take when offered free
    1-4: Trash

Deleted
    I'd always rate a solid 5/7!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/wo...-the-lich-king so WoLK sucks/is mediocre?
    Generally I'd agree (mainly for new/indie games), but for many games it also depends on the community etc.
    The metascore is 91, the user score 7.5. Makes it a solid 8/10.
    It destroyed the old vanilla style dungeon gameplay where you had to be careful and replaced it with brainless aoe bombing. Naxxramas was turned into a joke, Trials felt rushed and lazy and ICC went way too long. Ulduar was a masterpiece and Icecrown questing zone was also awesome (except for the phasing problem in groups). So it was good, not great.
    Last edited by Kryos; 2016-11-29 at 07:51 PM.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

10+ Year Old Account
    No, and this is a huge problem with metacritic and other 'professional' review sites. An 8 should be an acceptable score by any scale but people freak out when a "AAA" game is under a 9. People should rely less on numeric values and more on what people are actually saying about the game, specifically their peers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well for me a 8 is exceptional
    I don't see more than 5 games deserving a 10
    Not more than 10 deserving a 9
    While 10k+ games can't do better than average with 5
    6 is okay
    7 better than okay

it's all subjective : P

and as for the new FF, I'm afraid the game is nothing like we were expecting, trusting some professional reviews. I'm actually afraid about the FF7 remake. still have to play FF15 though. from the look of it it looks like random unreal engine game number X (I know it's not using unreal engine)
    Last edited by Cæli; 2016-11-29 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    You can pretty much totally ignore any "official" review score, and spend 15 minutes looking into player reviews instead. When gaming journalism has made it so that an 8 out of 10 is a disappointment, you've fucked up. So... probably hard to say. Ignore them.
    I don't trust any scoring system, even user scores are just arbitrary numbers and I've seen scores on metacritic and steam trashed by people who are campaigning over some outrage or other rather than rating the quality of the game.

If you want to know whether you'll probably like a game you have to find a reviewer who has the same taste as you or backs up their opinions with enough information for you to make an informed decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Okay so yeah reviews not made by you are based on other people's opinions, but if a game averages an 8 - 9 and 80s on Metacritic, is it shit? I'm kind of disappointed seeing that's how the new FF turned out but don't know if I'm being dumb.
    If you are going on a 1-10 scale 8-9 would be a great game. 6-7 good. 5 average, and everything below is below average to bad. But apparently recently, it seem like if it is not 9 or 10 it's a bad score.

Good thing I don't bother reading reviews or look at scores. If the game looks like something I would enjoy I buy it.