Deleted

850 Fire Mage - My damage is.. wrong?

Greetings! Just doing a quick post for now, can provide logs and everything if needed.

I have been struggling for a while with my Mage and my damage.
    Stacking up to 60% Crit, 10% Haste and 15% Mastery, I was feeling good and thinking I would be a king in LFRs and Daily HC, that was not the case.
    Realizing it's all in the opener, I practiced and now I'm putting out decent DPS for my ilvl, no complaints there.
    What I don't understand though is the way my damage is spread out!

Pyroblast deals most, then Ignite, then Fireball, trinkets, etc. etc. but whenever I look at logs either here or on warcraftlogs, every other Fire Mage is dealing most of their damage with Ignite. How is that even possible? Got all the relevant traits, using the same talents as everyone else.

The only difference I see from me and top Mages (well, one of many differences ) is that my Intelligence is way lower than theirs.

Any ideas?

Ignite = mastery+int based

They may also have ignite+ traits in their weapons.

(note you have too much haste for the most part so if you need to dump then I think you take that down to around 1800)
    Quote Originally Posted by Equim View Post
    I really don't see anything wrong with playing what you enjoy. Be it Frost, Fire, Arcane or Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

Deleted
    I got 2x Fire Crit Damage and 1x Pyroblast Damage right now, so that could be it. I think I just need higher item level while keeping my crit up.
    Just got a Belo'vir's Final Stand from Emissary Quest while typing this so.. trying to stay away from Haste but.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubuchu View Post
    Greetings! Just doing a quick post for now, can provide logs and everything if needed.

I have been struggling for a while with my Mage and my damage.
    Stacking up to 60% Crit, 10% Haste and 15% Mastery, I was feeling good and thinking I would be a king in LFRs and Daily HC, that was not the case.
    Realizing it's all in the opener, I practiced and now I'm putting out decent DPS for my ilvl, no complaints there.
    What I don't understand though is the way my damage is spread out!

Pyroblast deals most, then Ignite, then Fireball, trinkets, etc. etc. but whenever I look at logs either here or on warcraftlogs, every other Fire Mage is dealing most of their damage with Ignite. How is that even possible? Got all the relevant traits, using the same talents as everyone else.

The only difference I see from me and top Mages (well, one of many differences ) is that my Intelligence is way lower than theirs.

Any ideas?
    When you say look at logs, which fights? On single target, pyroblast is still 1# for the guys I checked. As soon as you have more targets, ignite prevails.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faylo View Post
    When you say look at logs, which fights? On single target, pyroblast is still 1# for the guys I checked. As soon as you have more targets, ignite prevails.
    Oh wow, I can't believe I made such a basic mistake, usually very detail oriented. You're right, of course. Thank you!

Deleted
    Just one thing to add - dont compare yourself to top mages on logs. Try to compare yourself with "top" mages on your ilvl. You will get a lot more relevant to you information than looking at someone with 895 ilvl

Deleted
    Yes, of course. If I'm comparing my DPS I look at my ilvl and the specific encounters. Since I didn't see the top Mages using anything I didn't have, I was confused about the damage distribution, that's all. :P

Don't forget execution of fights can matter, how a boss is moved, say you do LFR Ursoc and the boss is moved a lot by the tanks, compared to a guild which optimises dps by not having a lot of movement on normal or heroic.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ignite plays a very large part of a mages damage because of the amount of adds in EN. Also, ignite relics are much more common, especially now that TOV gives us one
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore