10+ Year Old Account

[Need Help] Forth CPU Core peaks higher than the other three

Hi Guys,

I need some advice from you IT freaks out there.

Everything started 2 Weeks ago Sunday 20th. I was invited to my regular sunday raid (Valor only last boss) but I was getting severe lags shortly after the Helya Fight began with framerates and MS going crazy. The game started to lag, freeze and then crash or just disconnect. I tried it several times with the same result, before leaving the raid not wanting to hold them back. I have never had a problem like this before.

Ever since then I was analyzing what the problem migth be. I discovered that nowadays in WOW my forth CPU Core is heavily under pressure. Much more than the other three. However I dunno if this causes the lags in the first place.

This picture shows the spike on the 4th core.

While idle on Desktop all CPU cores run at 3-7%. Everything seemed ok, then I logged in ran around, moved the camera a bit and killed a mob or two in Aszuna. The preassure significantly increased after that moment. Solocontent is playable, 5man Mythics had little Lags but Worldbosses or Raids pushed the core to 90% or above while the other three hardly reach 50%. When the core reaches higher levels the games framerates and ms becomes unstable and spikey.

What I tried so far:

disable all Addons
    updated all Addons
    delete WTF and Cache folders
    disabled/enabled Vsync
    rebooted and restored default settings in BIOS
    installed new drivers for both graphicscard and Mainboard
    installed all Windows 7 Updates, even the optional ones
    added SET processAffinityMask "15" line in config.wtf
    Used the Battle.net Repair feature
    Did a Malwarebytes Scan, Windows Essential Scan Hijackthis scan and analized the logfile.As far as I can tell, there was nothing suspicious going on.

I set all graphic settings in WOW to the minimum level (down from 7 which the game says is recommented). The pressure of the 4th core lowered by 15-20% but is still higher than the others drastically increasing when doing Group content.

tried other games: While Diablo3 behaved similar to WOW with the 4th core doing more than the others I had no problems in Skyrim nor Fallout.

I cant really recall what changed before said Helya raid. I don't do much if everything runs smoothly. This system could handle multiple instances of WOW while streaming YT Vids and playing MP3s before.

A couple of weeks back I bought a new screen being the Benq 2450 analog, connected via DVI, but can this cause problems? It has the latest drivers too.

I need help guys.
    Last edited by Uriel; 2016-12-01 at 11:00 PM.

WoW has always been a game that stresses one core more than the others.

10+ Year Old Account
    As already mentioned, wow is particular heavy on 1 thread (4th core in your case) by design.
    The only thing that *maybe* made it worse is addons, combat logging in particular. Otherwise, not much can be done about it short of new hardware (not that it's a good choice neccessarily) and some serious rewriting on the WoW engine side (don't see blizzard doing this)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It's not ethical to expose people's faults. Only scumbags and bitches do that.
    The right thing would be to try to stop the behaviour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What's wrong with him buying a home? Please don't pry into others' lives and make judgements.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by abracmike View Post
    As already mentioned, wow is particular heavy on 1 thread (4th core in your case) by design.
    The only thing that *maybe* made it worse is addons, combat logging in particular. Otherwise, not much can be done about it short of new hardware (not that it's a good choice neccessarily) and some serious rewriting on the WoW engine side (don't see blizzard doing this)
    But everything worked brilliantly a few weeks ago. Though I am not sure if the forth core was also stressed back then since I never checked.
    It cant be a "Wow is too old issues" since it worked before, alas they changed something with patch 7.1.

I've read that you can set WOW.exe to a specific core. Hows does that work? Maybe a different core handles it differently?
    Last edited by Uriel; 2016-12-01 at 11:06 PM.

The draw distance is really taxing om system simply cause blizz coders suck ass. I game at 1440p everything maxed even AA i drop below 60 fps in suramar city. While gpu and cpu us below 60 % usage such bullshit but wow dont use hardware propeerly. Sadly if you tried addons re install wow repair there is also a fresh windows install ibdo that few times per year however i have a seperate boot drive so its done in like 1 hour max

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildpantz View Post
    i have a seperate boot drive so its done in like 1 hour max
    What do you mean? You got a second partition with another Windows Version installed?

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    What do you mean? You got a second partition with another Windows Version installed?
    No i have a nwme ssd for boot for speed then all my games on another ssd. And thenn i have a win install on a usb stick i just plugin reboot pc amd make clean install. Sometimes you get corrupted windows files that affect the pc. Not saying thats thats for you just something that can help if you tried everything else

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildpantz View Post
    No i have a nwme ssd for boot for speed then all my games on another ssd. And thenn i have a win install on a usb stick i just plugin reboot pc amd make clean install. Sometimes you get corrupted windows files that affect the pc. Not saying thats thats for you just something that can help if you tried everything else
    Ive heard about Boot Sticks but I do not know where to get the ISO or how to make it bootable via a stick.

Installing Windows is not hard but Settings up everything else is. Like Settings up Thunderbird and redo all the Filters for instance

Anyway I just deleted WoW and downloaded a new copy. Yep the full 40gigs . It may helped a little but the forth Core is still Stresses out. I also reduced the Distance and some other options.

So my new Screen has nothing to do with the issue?
    Last edited by Uriel; 2016-12-02 at 02:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aint got no Windows 10 and int planning to do so in the near future. Is there a stick for 7 too?

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Aint got no Windows 10 and int planning to do so in the near future. Is there a stick for 7 too?
    luddism is cool.

Don't insult people just because they don't run the version of Windows you would like them to - Cilraaz
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2016-12-02 at 06:52 PM.