Is Monster Hunter Generations a good start for someone new to the series?

I think I'm finally going to give Monster Hunter a real try, Is Monster Hunter Generations a good start or should I get monster hunter 4?

Really looking forward to the fighting monsters with people part of the game.

what version do you guys recommend? Also considered getting Final Fantasy Explorers. How active is the online for the MH games.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    I would suggest playing 4U. Not only is it a better game for the most part, but the weapons are more simplistic due to not having 4 styles to learn.

As for being active, I dunno how active 4U still is, but I'd imagine it's still pretty active at least for the high level stuff. The Wii U version of 3U is still decently active and it didn't even break 1 million sales.

Deleted
    Pick the most recent Monster Hunter Generations because is the one with *new people* playing.
    If you pick the old one you will only find high levels online.

Have fun learning attack patterns of the endless pool of monsters in the game and making armor with special habilities.
    God i miss Monster Hunter.

I had a armor that everytime you heal yourself you also heal your party members. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I would suggest playing 4U. Not only is it a better game for the most part, but the weapons are more simplistic due to not having 4 styles to learn.

As for being active, I dunno how active 4U still is, but I'd imagine it's still pretty active at least for the high level stuff. The Wii U version of 3U is still decently active and it didn't even break 1 million sales.
    Ya my choices of MH is only on 3DS, was torn from MHG since its the most new and MH4.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    After I saw an "Honest Trailer" of the game, I really wanted to play it. Then when I looked it up it appeared to only be on the 3DS. Is there anyway to play this on consoles? I'm not much of a handheld guy.
    SWTOR Friend Referral Code: http://www.swtor.com/r/kg3Sch

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Pick the most recent Monster Hunter Generations because is the one with *new people* playing.
    I figured as much.....

I want to do matchmaking and all just don't want to get carried.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    After I saw an "Honest Trailer" of the game, I really wanted to play it. Then when I looked it up it appeared to only be on the 3DS. Is there anyway to play this on consoles? I'm not much of a handheld guy.
    Not really, there is a MH PC game that is a dick to install and the Wii-U monster hunter.

Ontopic: To add the price difference is only $5 atm so I may just get MHG.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-12-02 at 01:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I figured as much.....

I want to do matchmaking and all just don't want to get carried.

- - - Updated - - -

Not really, there is a MH PC game that is a dick to install and the Wii-U monster hunter.

Ontopic: To add the price difference is only $5 atm so I may just get MHG.
    I would suggest just playing with one other person then. When you have 4 people the monsters generally get locked down constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I would suggest just playing with one other person then. When you have 4 people the monsters generally get locked down constantly.
    True. But to me the big battles like that is fun

Thx for all the info guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO Generations is the one to go in consideration of the ammount of people playing it, most ppl moved out of mh4u and are just on GCrown, on MH Gen there is still low ranked people (sadly havent played in a few months, managed to play the first two weeks before my niece broke my analog stick).
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

I'd recommend the newest one if you want to find a lot of players online to hunt with. It's also probably a lot easier to get into with adept or aerial styles to use a learning tool / crutch.