Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

I feel like Guild Wars 2 is falling off... Anyone agree?

Like, there is barely people online compared to before... Is it time to realize World of Warcraft is the go-to...?... As much as I hate to say it..

I'm always doing events with people along with PvP and WvW so no I wouldn't say so.

I haven't noticed a lack of people at all. Out in the world there are fluctuations in the concentration of people, but that's normal in any MMO.

There will always be more activity in the current events zones. Whenever I play, the population seems the same.

Can't really agree, no.

I'm not super impressed by Guild Wars 2 these days, but I have to say the recent updates are very nice. Mike O'Brien seems to have the team in control and knows what to focus on.

The population doesn't seem to be any less than it was before. It's good.

Deleted
    Although i've definitely not been playing as much as I did in the earlier days, the times that I have come online the world has always been packed with people. Can't say I share the same sentiment as you OP

10+ Year Old Account
    No, absolutely not. Game is crazy busy.

Of all the flaws I find in GW2, that sense of feeling alone in the world has never been one of them.

GW2 does two things really well:

1) Marketing building HYPE (to the extreme disappointment of many players/fans in the end...)
    2) Mega server technology to make a game feel alive even when the population overall is in the toilet

The game could have a few thousand active players and it would feel busy - that is the beauty of mega server smoke and mirrors. Why do you think EVERY MMO is heading towards such a thing? Even the ever successful titan, WoW, is pushing cross realm zones more and more - eventually, those millions of subs will dwindle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, doesnt feel empty at all in any level mainly due to how the map system works
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Quote Originally Posted by azurrei View Post
    2) Mega server technology to make a game feel alive even when the population overall is in the toilet
    That's quite a statement. How do you know that the population overall "is in the toilet" so to speak? In my guild alone we have 400 people online at any point in time and in the sister guild there is another 200. What's really odd is that when I am out in the world, most of the people I see aren't from my guild or the sister guild. In some cases we have 10 concurrent AB maps open. I am not sure what the user limit per megaserver is but it's a fair amount so 10 x that many people on a single map. My point is that there is absolutely no substance to your comment and anecdotal evidence proves otherwise.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by azurrei View Post
    GW2 does two things really well:

1) Marketing building HYPE (to the extreme disappointment of many players/fans in the end...)

The game could have a few thousand active players and it would feel busy - that is the beauty of mega server smoke and mirrors. Why do you think EVERY MMO is heading towards such a thing? Even the ever successful titan, WoW, is pushing cross realm zones more and more - eventually, those millions of subs will dwindle.
    to be honest, I've more than often felt alone in the big momma that is WoW, and I think that has to do with more than just megaservers.
    a big reason is probably because in Guild Wars 2 co-operation is pretty much always encouraged so when you see another player in the world it's not strange to help them out or follow them around for a bit because that actually rewards you as well even if you're not in a party. where as with WoW you have to contest for mobs and nodes and the like. Making it feel more like a 'me vs them'.

Deleted
    (Based on other OPs started threads) I think we have been trolled people...

But i'll bite:
    Don't know, but the zones i have been in lately seemed to be relatively busy.
    Have yet to start a new character and check how the leveling zones look nowadays.

What i wish i could actually see is the event-trail to beating Mordremoth's body/head... but there never seem to be enough people in that zone. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    What i wish i could actually see is the event-trail to beating Mordremoth's body/head... but there never seem to be enough people in that zone. :/
    As far as the Dragon's Stand event trail, you pretty much just need to find out what time a new map will be opening and then start looking on LFG for groups right after. You can find one quickly enough if you do that. It's still possible it'll fail, but you'll get decent ones more often than not. Especially on evenings/weekends.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivelle View Post
    As far as the Dragon's Stand event trail, you pretty much just need to find out what time a new map will be opening and then start looking on LFG for groups right after. You can find one quickly enough if you do that. It's still possible it'll fail, but you'll get decent ones more often than not. Especially on evenings/weekends.
    Hmm, is there any way to find out?
    Or just ask in /shout?

Weekend is perfect; since i only get time for GW2 then; otherwise i hardly find the time to log in for the friggin' daily rewards.

BTW: is there any way to quickly find out which "hero challanges" i missed thus far? I'm still in the process of unlocking all DH traits (still lacking the last row of the spec)

Deleted
    Or just ask in /shout?
    http://gw2timer.com/

10+ Year Old Account
    Or just ask in /shout?

Weekend is perfect; since i only get time for GW2 then; otherwise i hardly find the time to log in for the friggin' daily rewards.

BTW: is there any way to quickly find out which "hero challanges" i missed thus far? I'm still in the process of unlocking all DH traits (still lacking the last row of the spec)
    Use a timer site or visit the map and check how much time is left until the map closes.

As far as hero challenges, I don't know outside of looking at the map for the area you want to complete them in. Ones that are filled in with green are finished, if they aren't filled in you didn't do them yet. You can find a list of how to do them for each area by checking Dulfy (search Verdant Brink Hero Points or whichever area you want). If they aren't soloable and there isn't a meta going to be happening soon, if you actually ask if anyone can help you on map chat, more often than not you will get people who will come and help you finish it. Or you can find HP trains sometimes (especially on weekends, again) on LFG.

I haven't played GW2 in just over a year now, but each time I've logged in for grabbing any major updates they added to the game (they've added what, 2-3 new zones since HoT release?), there's been piles of folks hanging out in the capital cities. Pretty sure that the whole megaserver setup is to thank/blame for that, but past the initial drop off following HoT, seems to me with O'Brien in charge they've been pushing hard to put new content out to keep the game relatively fresh. "Well then why aren't you playing?" FF14 too addicting. :P

That said, if/when I do get bored with FF14, I'll happily check back in on Tyria.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivelle View Post
    Use a timer site or visit the map and check how much time is left until the map closes.

As far as hero challenges, I don't know outside of looking at the map for the area you want to complete them in. Ones that are filled in with green are finished, if they aren't filled in you didn't do them yet. You can find a list of how to do them for each area by checking Dulfy (search Verdant Brink Hero Points or whichever area you want). If they aren't soloable and there isn't a meta going to be happening soon, if you actually ask if anyone can help you on map chat, more often than not you will get people who will come and help you finish it. Or you can find HP trains sometimes (especially on weekends, again) on LFG.
    The main issue with the first HoT maps is the AB is so profitable (and DS) takes such a huge time commitment that you have seek squads doing the metas. Not all the time but it's something a player should learn.

Timers can be accessed in game, kind of, by typing /wiki ET. That pulls the timer page on the GW2. Reset is the only the only time I've seen DS dead (meaning you can't even taxi to an active map).

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    The main issue with the first HoT maps is the AB is so profitable (and DS) takes such a huge time commitment that you have seek squads doing the metas. Not all the time but it's something a player should learn.
    You can reason that people are just on the other maps doing the metas instead, and I agree to some extent, but there's also the fact that people doing DS meta want to make sure they get a map that has enough people on it and will have enough TIME to finish the whole event (minus the dragon) before the timer ends, so you commonly only see them right after resets in LFG. If they start late, there is the chance they won't make the timer.

Sometimes though if it's not too late you can still find those groups floating around in LFG for a bit afterwards, up to the time they're starting the Blighting Towers event. The maps are sometimes full but persistent people who keep trying to taxi over can usually get in.

As far as the guy who was asking about it, he's mostly wanting to see the lore part of killing this huge dragon so if he decides he doesn't like the two hour long event he can always just do it once and never go back!