Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Deleted

Healer dps (or lack of it) in M+

Do you think healers should deal as much damage as they can in M+ dungeons, as long as their healing doesn't suffer?

I ran +8 Neltharion's Lair earlier today on my bear alt. Mind you, the entire group was sitting in 875+ gear and we were dealing accordingly with bolstering. Now, I do know around 70% of trash mobs in NL also deal group wide damage but... At the end of our 2-chest run I checked total damage done like I usually do and noticed that our druid healer had managed to pull a grand total of 0 damage. Not even a single Sunfire cast.
    I asked him/her about it and the response was "because I don't have to, this isn't +12". While this stance would stand true in non-timed content, isn't it just being lazy not to help out on damage? He could have AT LEAST done something on bosses since I can mostly self-sustain on lower keys (tanked up to +13 on tyrannical on this particular character).

Or am I just being completely unreasonable and thank him for just keeping everyone alive?

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    You could always take a disc priest to heal if you're looking for healing dps.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

its healer's job to keep ppl alive, u ran through the m+ and u got the kill, dont see anything wrong with that. Some healers just hate dpsing thats why they play a healer, if u want healer to do dps ask for a disc priest where dps is required to do healing. Running a pug and pushing ur agenda and telling how they should play is just silly, i would understand if u are in a mythic guild pushing for server/world first. Let others play the game the way they want to or just run with guildy/frds

Quote Originally Posted by Shivasana View Post
    Do you think healers should deal as much damage as they can in M+ dungeons, as long as their healing doesn't suffer?
    Absolutely. It's the same with tanks who just keep aggro & do very little to maximize their DPS. It's sabotaging the run from the get-go if you're adamant you're not going to chip in when able.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a holy paladin, with a stack of Old war potions, I can pull up to 400k DPS on a boss and I and the rest of the group pretty much expect me to pull dps at any moment where healing (above splash-healing from various quick-castable abilities) isn't necessary.

One issue I do have with it is that I as a sort of veteran of this game know all about optimizing keybinds, macroing, heal-on-mouseover and click healing, while the default UI shows none of this. Obviously a new or more casual player of the game might not find it very natural to DPS in between when the game isn't making it apparent that you actually can do it pretty efficiently.

Deleted
    it is no musst have but realy nice to have u can do in bossfight with 1 or 2 buttons easy more than 100k i mean i heal a lot of dungeons and every time when no damage comes in you only stand on point maybe jump a little bit why than not use 1 or 2 abilitys to help dps and make the dungeon shorter same in raid much 1-2% wipes that easy can avoid if the healers deal damage when nothing is to heal

i always dps when we run 7-9 keys. i play a paladin so it makes sense to dps when you can contribute a steady 200-250k dps on trash and 400-500k dps on bosses.

I think it doesn't matter much if they damage or not in a m+, especially if youre just pugging... but a healer that wants to be truly optimal should pop some dps in for sure. There are several pulls which can be done without a single heal where the healer could go full dps and heal after the pull. Asmongold even put a video up about doing m+ with 4 dps 1 tank

Yes, I've seen holy paladins who can pull 800k dps on bosses so why wouldn't I want that.

I think healers should and I do myself when I'm healing because I'm used to it since it's expected in pretty much any other MMO out there. But I understand that's not historically been the standard for WoW.

Having said that you shouldn't expect pugs to perform anything higher than what is necessary to complete the dungeon and I don't think you should bother people after a dungeon run asking why they didn't perform to your expectations which weren't laid out beforehad.

I mean, the same can be said about worthless DPS classes not using their defensives. You're basically just complaining about people not playing their class well. What's the point?

Its a pug you really shouldnt expect people to do extra, just think if it as a bonus if they do. But yeah it seems like they should just do some dps if after the first few pulls they whould know if the grp is capable or not

Deleted
    Not really no, if the healer does it should be seen as a bonus, not the standard. Same can be said for tanks.

I'm rather sick and tired of damage being the top priority with everything, I miss the days when crowd control and other utility was desired and at times even required. Damage is just so... boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Phoenix View Post
    Not really no, if the healer does it should be seen as a bonus, not the standard. Same can be said for tanks.

I'm rather sick and tired of damage being the top priority with everything, I miss the days when crowd control and other utility was desired and at times even required. Damage is just so... boring.
    It is easy to see why so many healers avoid mythic +. They are the only class asked to not only excel at their normal role, but to also juggle other things and do it all at a break neck pace. As a dps or tank I enjoy mythic +, but I have zero desire to do them as a healer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Yes, I've seen holy paladins who can pull 800k dps on bosses so why wouldn't I want that.
    They are the exception and to do that you have to line up multiple factors.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

A good healer will always be DPSing in their downtime.

Holy priests especially, that single target 5 second stun helps a lot, it also can proc the Artifact Naaru which deals more damage and/or healing.
    Smite also procs instant and free flash heals assuming the player is specced correctly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do I expect healers to DPS? No. No more than I expect DPS to heal via bandage and pop pots. Is it nice if they do? Sure as long as they don't risk the run by not healing or letting people almost die, etc.

When things are timed of course they should. When im healing i normally put out at least 40k dps on bosses and i'm at least throwing sunfires out on trash. There's no reason not to.

Deleted
    Well, I'm not exactly asking for 800k dps but a mere effort of spending one or two globals every now and then to add that Sunfire / Flameshock etc. After all, more dps means less hps required. Following some of yours logic, healers shouldn't use their stuns, cc or interrupts either because that's not strictly abiding to their role? ;-)

Doesn't the ability to deal damage as a healer transfer to utility?

Stood in the Fire ImEveryCliche's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're running in a guild group, yet for sure. Random pugs may be a little different though

Deleted
    Yes of course, everyone should be doing whatever they can to make the run as fast and as easy as possible.
    Healers and Tanks should try to maximize their DPS. DPS should maximize their survival, everyone should work with stuns, interrupts etc.

Not really rocket science.

But if you're pugging, your results may vary and you can't really complain if they don't. Playing with random people gives random results. If that bothers you, then don't play with random people.

- - - Updated - - -

healers shouldn't use their stuns, cc or interrupts either because that's not strictly abiding to their role?
    Not all of them have those abilities.