Deleted

[FROST] Stat priority, talents and simming

Hey there,

I'm a returning WoW player and only recently started learning about all the ins and outs of the Frost DK in legion. I was in a mythic raiding guild in WoD, so naturally I want to get the most out of my Frost Dk in legion as well so I can climb up to the highest tiers of content again. After reading through these forums and everything I found on icy-veins (my go-to source for all things wow) I was still puzzled about a LOT of things. I hope I can post my most urgent questions together in this thread and maybe some of you Frost veterans might be able to help me out.

First of all, Icy-Veins mentions a haste breakpoint of 20% in its stat priority. I was wondering first of all where this breakpoint comes from. Is this the right amount to give the right amount of rune regen for a smooth rotation and does everything above 20% not really matter too much? Will getting only 19% haste decrease my dps significantly?

Secondly, Icy-Veins suggest picking Runic Attenuation and Obliteration. I know this has been discussed into oblivion but the whole discussion raised some concerns in me as well. I've noticed that a common practice to see whether or not to take an item/talent or what your stat prio is, is to go and simulate yourself on simulationcraft. The big flaw with this practice is, in my opinion, that you only simulate patchwerk fights. So naturally RA and oblit will come out as the best talents but in dungeons where most fights (even boss fights) are aoe, glacial advance and to a lesser extent frostscythe come out as being better. This is just an example for talents but I imagine stat priorities work with this as well. I imagine haste is pretty high for us since mastery for example doesn't increase obliterate dmg. But in aoe fights all your dmg is frost based (since you replace oblit with frostscythe) and it seems mastery would become much more valuable. So to summarize, I really wonder how accurate SimulationCraft and its corresponding stat priorities are when you go out into the real world (of warcraft).

Any help with my concerns on these matters will be greatly appreciated,

Xentrus-Aggramar

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zvr View Post
    First of all, thanks a lot. The document really answers a lot of my questions. I'm still confused on the whole simulationcraft thing. I understand how it works and its incredible value, but I do wonder if "Patchwerk" simulations are the best way to figure out what gear to use. I found that there's an option in simcraft to simulate cleave. Now, I don't know if this assumes that you're aoe'ing 100% of the time, but when I run this simulation my weights change completely in favor of Mastery (as I expected in the first post). So should I simulate a one boss fight to figure out what gear to use in all circumstances? Should I get a set for aoe and one for bosses maybe? Also, I've started using Pawn in-game to figure out which gear is best for me, but this tool is really weird when you're near breakpoints. I started hoarding every item I get to not throw away gear that might be an upgrade. I think I've found the optimal gear choice from the items I'm having, but now my haste stat has become worthless (it was really high before that) and now most my items are shown as upgrades, which is obviously false. When I equip any of them right now, my simdps becomes much lower and the stats change in favor of haste again. All of this really makes me wonder how useful a tool simcraft really is. Any comments on this are greatly appreciated, as again I'm still trying to figure it all out.

Xentrus