Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Dave Kosak Moves to Hearthstone Team, Argus Lore, Blue Tweets, DLC #562

How Would a Third Person Diablo Game Look?, Rhykker's S9 Builds

Battle for Gadgetzan Tournament!

We're Closing Our Doors

Dave Kosak Moves to Hearthstone Team
    Dave Kosak was the Lead Narrative Designer on World of Warcraft, but has now moved to the Hearthstone team.

Argus Lore
    Our friends at Gamepedia have a nice article and video covering the lore behind Argus! We will be heading to Argus in Patch 7.3.

Blue Tweets
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    PvE
    In many ways, H-ToV is most meant for groups that comfortably clear Heroic EN, can't/won't do Mythic, yet still want a challenge (WatcherDev)

Re: recent talk of raid tuning and exploits, this blog is old and full of outdated examples, but still accurate: https://t.co/uLNYMknKnQ (WatcherDev)

Questing
    the "Like the Wind" WQs are just so annoying. Latency above 50ms and it'll be impossible to complete....
    We've made some adjustments to these quests to improve overall responsiveness and gameplay for players with high latency. (WarcraftDevs)

Ghostcrawler Tweets
    Ghostcrawler still occasionally talks about WoW. Remember that he no longer works for or speaks for Blizzard.
    Originally Posted by MMO-Champion
    Can you talk about mobility creep in games, not just League as I’m seeing games like Overwatch, WoW, Dota2 etc with like hyper agile heroes that completely dumpster the immobile one because they can just dodge any of their damage out put and dish out a fair amount of their own. Why not make everyone mobile
    In my experience it keeps happening because mobility (especially high-speed windowed mobility) is fun. As a player, it gives you a lot of interesting decisions about initiating a fight or running away from one. You can get to where you need to be quickly or get out of what you need to get out of quickly. Movement can help band-aid some bad decisions you made a few seconds ago. I think it’s totally natural that almost every game ends up with a mobility creep problem. But then as a designer you catch yourself. You don’t want to go add mobility to every character, because that’s just admitting defeat that there aren’t more attractive mechanics out there than mobility. So you get a little stubborn because you know you’ll come up with something… someday. I also think it’s the case that even when a slow-moving character is demonstrably viable or even stronger than the fast-moving character, that players still opt for the fast-moving character. Humans like to go fast. (Source)

About the PvE aspect of lots of online games, especially big MMOs, do you think that there is a window of opportunity for a competitive PvE scenario? Maybe a monetized scenario like the most financially successful PvP ones?
    I think competitive PvE is a hugely unexplored space. We did live raids for awhile at Blizzcon (though they were a logistical nightmare) and even did a race a couple of times.

If I was working on a group-based PvE game (I’m not), I would try and figure out how to make it competitive. I would try and figure out if it could be an esport. There are several sports that are compelling to view (for some folks!) where the opposing sides don’t directly interact much: golf, bowling, track and field, most races. Those kind of feel like the live equivalent of competitive PvE. (Source)

Dark Legacy Comics #562
    DLC #562 has been released.

Last edited by chaud; 2016-12-05 at 07:29 PM.

that hotfix was my bad Somarlane's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was being overly mean. Ignore this.
    Last edited by Somarlane; 2016-12-05 at 01:57 AM. Reason: I was being overly mean.

so Sylvanas can finally die.

THANK FUCK! Kosak is gone!

15+ Year Old Account
    Kosak always seemed really positive and enthusiastic at Blizzcon when it came to lore stuff. Wonder what the thought process was here.

All my upgrade items are not upgraded... /sigh

Deleted
    People playing with 200ms in south america and some cry for a world quest being imposible with 50ms. First world problems.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    How surprising this comment's existence is!

Oh, no, actually, any time anyone leaves or goes elsewhere from WoW, I see comments like this. Even for Chris damn Metzen...
    Its sad that so many people are leaving the WoW team over the last year. Kinda insane when you think about it, we've lost at least 5 people who have been there many years.

man im gonna miss him. although i liked him more when he regularly answered lore questions during mists with the other historians. nobody answers lore questions on twitter anymore i miss it
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    How surprising this comment's existence is!

Oh, no, actually, any time anyone leaves or goes elsewhere from WoW, I see comments like this. Even for Chris damn Metzen...
    Dave Kosak and Chris Metzen are the reasons why WoW lore today is damaged beyond repair and a laughing stock in MMO universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    An orc named after Jesus firing a kamehameha at a tentacle dragon and making it explode into fairy dust before a group of dragons don't lament the loss of their once-friend or the now inevitable extinction of their species due to their newfound sterility and mortality but instead congratulate him on knocking up his wife was pretty fucking insane even by this series' standards.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantelija View Post
    Dave Kosak and Chris Metzen are the reasons why WoW lore today is damaged beyond repair and a laughing stock in MMO universe.
    INB4, TBC and WOTLK best expansions, Arthas must return, Broxxigar is our real hero, Sargeras is bad because is bad.

That comic tho, when I re-read it as Vanthir being this foot-fetish creep I was dying laughing.

10+ Year Old Account
    How does the Overwatch site close down while the Diablo 3 one is still alive and kicking? I thought Overwatch was meant to be the newest fad while D3 is a dedgaem.

I don't care anything, I think OW is trash but it still seems a bit weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumpy Frumpy Frak View Post
    How does the Overwatch site close down while the Diablo 3 one is still alive and kicking? I thought Overwatch was meant to be the newest fad while D3 is a dedgaem.

I don't care anything, I think OW is trash but it still seems a bit weird.
    OW sites in general aren't really needed. it's not a game that really needs guides. PVP is dynamic and always changing and everything is situational, especially in a game that lets you swap on the fly. D3 is more static and content on a site can be more meaningful and last longer. It also involves more long term strategy from experts that people are actually going to look up on a website. Leveling for a new season. New season builds, etc etc.

7+ Year Old Account
    Thank god, hope this fuckhead never come back to write the wow lore again

just Please, just dont put someone worse
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2016-12-05 at 06:51 AM.

Overpwn would have maybe (emphasis on maybe) worked if it was 100% e-sports coverage focused and they had people on site at tournies whenever possible, but like others said it doesn't lend itself to well to general player help. There's a couple other sites out there already doing OW coverage tho anyway

If the OW league really takes off, there's going to be a strong desire to cover it like ESPN would, but that takes a lot of resources
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2016-12-05 at 06:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Österreich or Austria for the english speaking
    man that DL comic. as a tank i can feel with krom .

10+ Year Old Account
    That Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by Pantelija View Post
    It's funny how people like you have absolutely no clue what they're talking about.. it's kind of a fun trend on this forum so no worries.

Deleted
    I have comfortably cleared EN HC 5 times. I have no chance in clearing even Odyn in ToV HC in a pug group. They might have overdid themselves....

Deleted
    Lets hope he brings the Lore back to hearthstone! Gadgetzan is too far away from solid lore imo. And I dont mean things like lightlord from last expansion, but the fact that I barely know any class legendary (raza, solia, white eyes, dafuq?) is so disappointing. The coolest thing about expansions is guessing and receiving new class legendaries, and its no fun to have to look them up first =(

I like Kosak, lore is so important, and wow has a good run so far. It will continue I guess. Cheers to Dave!