Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ruggleee View Post
    we just cancelled our raid mythic odyn tonight after 1hr of tentative to raid, we just give up(half of players were always lagging dc ect..), we would have the kill right tonight, EXTREMELY frustating becuz DDOS happenned all the damn week-end.... look like there is nothing we can do....
    Likewise, our guild pretty much all got kicked offline ;/

Quote Originally Posted by hippostar View Post
    Well they could do it like google and build their own ISPs. Right?

But no all kidding asside, there clearly are ways to mitigate DDOS like horizontal scaling, filtering, etc. and there are LEGITIMATE companies selling it. I just didn't know it was AT&T getting targeted and not blizzard directly.
    We don't know that either, people say this every time there is such a DDOS attack (without providing evidence) and then when you try to argue there are ways of mitigating them they just say "you don't know how ddos attacks work" even though reality is that the methods that ddos'ers use have to change with the times or they're not so effective.

I wouldn't be shocked to learn some of these people are actually people that ddos. Because if I were petty enough to do this, I would def go on forums and troll people with blanket statements about how they don't know how the shit works to make myself sound superior.

Hell no one here even responded to anything I actually said just blanket statements of pure nonsense that isn't backed by anything, which really amounts to "these hackers attack the entire ISP" which is preposterous.
    Last edited by Shakou; 2016-12-05 at 02:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
    We don't know that either, people say this every time there is such a DDOS attack (without providing evidence) and then when you try to argue there are ways of mitigating them they just say "you don't know how ddos attacks work" even though reality is that the methods that ddos'ers use have to change with the times or they're not so effective.
    Because it's often the ISPs that are the ones being attacked and need to invest in the protection. We can't blame Blizzard as even though they're the actual target, the attackers are hitting Wichita and Cedar Rapids which is hurting more games than just Blizzard titles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    And this right here is how you just told everyone you have no idea how DDOS works and what it's like. Yes they are powerless.
    This is false.

Quote Originally Posted by 2about View Post
    Are you seriously blaming Blizzard for DDoS attacks on ISPs that they're using? Never go full....
    Actually that's a huge part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    Really so if you own a company and the road to get to your company is completely congested so I can't get there I can hold you responsible for the road being congested even though you don't own or control the road right?
    This analogy doesn't work on the internet, because the cars are moving at the speed of light and there are other routes around congestion that huge networks of routers automatically take when congestion is detected. It's the reason the internet doesn't stop because a major backbone has a DDoS on it.

99.999% of the time you don't notice a DDoS unless a service you're using specifically is close enough to it (same datacenter, same ISP, same branch depending on the size of the DDoS), and in particular if that service hasn't been designed properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    Because it's often the ISPs that are the ones being attacked and need to invest in the protection. We can't blame Blizzard as even though they're the actual target, the attackers are hitting Wichita and Cedar Rapids which is hurting more games than just Blizzard titles.
    Do you have any idea how stupid you sound right now? No they do not bring down entire ISP's you dolt. FFS you have any idea how widespread this would be if they could do that? Also ffs AT&T sells DDOS protection!

Infracted: Do not insult other users {MoanaLisa}
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2016-12-05 at 03:08 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    They're the same type of idiots who think that cheating in an FPS is worth doing, they're just emotionally immature people lashing out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    It's basically kids doing it as revenge for their accounts getting banned. It's just petty vengeance that they do because they can. It's becoming much easier to access it or hire those who can.
    That's just plain stupid. :P

I mean, you are angry at someone, sure go punch them in the face and see them in pain. But doing a ddos attack won't please you, why waste your time? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hippostar View Post
    if theres nothing you can do, how do companies sell DDOS protection?
    Despite all of the trolling around the topic, DDOS protection software is a good thing if a company is being directly attacked and I'm sure that Blizzard has their own protections in place for such events. There is a market for this.

However, when someone launches a DDOS attack against a large gaming company it's rarely targeted directly at their servers as their protection is often quite strong. Thus, attacks are targeted upstream from those servers against ISP's. Given any large global network there are always likely to be weak spots that can be targeted efficiently to wreak the most havoc for the least amount of work.

I would advise some here to get informed about what's going on so that incorrect or outright false information isn't passed around.

As to why these happen, it's not a for-profit thing; it's an attention-whoring thing.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have any idea how stupid you sound right now? No they do not bring down entire ISP's you dolt. FFS you have any idea how widespread this would be if they could do that? Also ffs AT&T sells DDOS protection!
    You need to work on your reading comprehension. Nowhere in that post do they claim they're bringing down an entire ISP, it does say that they're attacking specific nodes that are owned by the ISP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ckaelir View Post
    That's just plain stupid. :P

I mean, you are angry at someone, sure go punch them in the face and see them in pain. But doing a ddos attack won't please you, why waste your time? :P
    If doing the first pleases you, you're also an emotionally immature person. The second is only different in what type of action you're taking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

I never once said they took down the whole ISP. You're just blind raging and crossing into ban territory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

10+ Year Old Account
    If y'all are just going to insult one another there's no point to keeping this open. No more warnings.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

This has been a problem all expansion. Was happening for about 2 hours yesterday and happened again this morning from around 8am til noon. And now it's back.

The community needs to be more vocal about this because it's a huge problem and it is something that is on Blizzard's end regardless of their refusal to take responsibility, it's not like they are powerless to stop ddosing. Blizz also hasn't done a single thing to reimburse players that have been negatively effect by this.
    Honestly, before you say Blizzard needs to reimburse you and they are powerless you need to understand how DDoS works and what it is. If you did then you would understand more about the situation. Could Blizzard give free game time to make it up? Sure, but at the same time the service isn't down for long enough times to where it would warrant it. Plus in the long run could be detrimental because if they gave game time for it then would possibly encourage it to happen more.

Why exactly can't they just make it so that keystone's don't deplete until you complete the dungeon the first time? There's like literally no downside to that, it's not like you get any extra loot, just protection from this type of bullshit where your whole party get's dc'd and the occasional turd you pug that purposefully ruins your runs.
    Again, you'd rather complain about the problem and not come up with a feasible solution. It really just sounds like whining for entitlement. If they made it so the keystone doesn't deplete until the first dungeon is complete then you'd have people leaving midway or at the end if they got the undesired time they wanted or anything. People have explained this in massive details in other threads (if you want more references).

Ya you guys are right, there is absolutely no way at all whatsoever to defend against ddos attacks, no counter-measures exist in the IT world at all. We are totally at the mercy of mad 12 year olds. Especially in this thread. Mods close this.
    TBH, even although you wrote it as a sarcasm, IRL it's quite true

Blizz do whatever they can to protects infrastructure that belongs to them, however what's targeted during DDoS attacks are their ISPs, and unless ISPs do something to prevent attacks, there's literally nothing Blizz can do to avoid them.

The biggest issue in this case is that many big ISPs simply don't care about anti-DDoS protection
    Last edited by ls-; 2016-12-05 at 03:17 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    If doing the first pleases you, you're also an emotionally immature person. The second is only different in what type of action you're taking.
    True that. But regardless of emotional maturity, what I'm saying is that if they are doing it for profit or revenge, then they have a reason, a purpose. Taking revenge is supposed to please you, that's the purpose, but doing a ddos attack doesn't offer any pleasure or relief. I don't think it made them less angry or it relieved them more than smashing their mouse. Bothering doing it is stupid. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Why exactly can't they just make it so that keystone's don't deplete until you complete the dungeon the first time?
    Because that would be abused in a heartbeat. It doesn't even take any imagination to understand how if a run isn't going well, people would just bail/disconnect and still have their keystone.

- - - Updated - - -

True that. But regardless of emotional maturity, what I'm saying is that if they are doing it for profit or revenge, then they have a reason, a purpose. Taking revenge is supposed to please you, that's the purpose, but doing a ddos attack doesn't offer any pleasure or relief. I don't think it made them less angry or it relieved them more than smashing their mouse. Bothering doing it is stupid. :P
    These forums are full of people who apparently play a game they don't much like and that doesn't offer them any pleasure or relief either. They are always angry, yet they still play. Humans are like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Punching someone in the face doesn't provide you any relief either, you run the risk of injury to yourself and legal action against you. That is my point, it isn't a reasonable response to anything in any circumstance. There is no reason or purpose to it, just an irrational desire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    Please enlighten us.
    One example of DDOS protection is the services provided by Akamai. Their Akamai Intelligent Platform™ is a global network of hundreds of thousands of servers that serve content instead of individual customer servers. As a result the DDOS injections are spread across Akamai's servers and can be filtered there.

https://www.akamai.com/us/en/resourc...os-attacks.jsp
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Ya you guys are right, there is absolutely no way at all whatsoever to defend against ddos attacks, no counter-measures exist in the IT world at all. We are totally at the mercy of mad 12 year olds. Especially in this thread. Mods close this.
    Tell us, oh wise one, how you can prevent the home of someone in another city from being burglarized. Please enlighten us.

Huh? You can't?

Well, now you may have the beginnings of a clue about how DDoS actually works.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    One example of DDOS protection is the services provided by Akamai. Their Akamai Intelligent Platform™ is a global network of hundreds of thousands of servers that serve content instead of individual customer servers. As a result the DDOS injections are spread across Akamai's servers and can be filtered there.

https://www.akamai.com/us/en/resourc...os-attacks.jsp
    It is no guarantee http://www.businessinsider.com/akama...r=US&IR=T&IR=T. Also it is considerably harder to use Akamai for service that depends on state/streaming TCP/UDP traffic. HTTP is stateless, threfore simpler to distribute to CDNs.

The core issue are lazy/bad ISPs who haven't implemented BCP 38 in their network. Not much Blizzard can do about it.
    Last edited by mmoc0e47cbaaf5; 2016-12-05 at 04:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not only is it over, but you've clearly been trying to disrupt the forum.

Closing.