Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    You mean one of many age old arguments?

The fact these events make the UK look bad for decades afterwards might indicate that they are actually bad things.
    If you actually understood the reason behind the appeasement of Hitler pre WW2, you'd understand that it doesn't make the UK look bad in the slightest.

But that would require a grasp of history that you obviously don't have.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean one of many age old arguments?

The fact these events make the UK look bad for decades afterwards might indicate that they are actually bad things.
    Most people didn't consider appeasement a bad idea at the time, they thought it was a way to prevent war. In hindsight it only encouraged Hitler, but everyone is an expert in hindsight.

Dunno try living in a colonial country.
    I live in one and lived in one before this. What is wrong with them? The Maltese love the British.

You're spoilt because you seem very unaware of the experiences of most people.
    Me not being omniscient does not make me spoilt. Everyone is unaware of the experiences of most people, so by your definition everyone is spoilt, including you...and people starving to death.

Fascism is about taking liberty from people. It's not about how many jews you kill.
    You said my views were reminiscent of policies the Nazis implemented, gassing Jews was a policy implemented by the Nazis.

Lol that's some daft patriotism if i've ever seen it "you can't have an opinion unless you are born in and die within a certain geographic area".
    You are criticising the country I come from for what they did in WWII, but what did your country do that was better? Nothing, so you are in no position to criticise. At one point only the British Empire was fighting against Nazi Germany, no country can claim to have fought longer against them than Britain.

No you probably wont advocate it but you wont do anything to stop it either.
    You would actively join in assisting those doing the gassing. We can all make unsubstantiated claims about others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Like I said, there's more than forced segregation and self segregation. Limited access or poor economics can cause segregation just as easily. Its what happens in a lot of the US.
    None of this is relevant to people not bothering to learn English in England, nor the fact that they don't grab their kids to jump on a bus and go to other parts of their county and see that the population is nothing like 50-90% Asian.

There is no forced segregation from anyone outside those communities, we don't stop Asian people from travelling.

Deleted
    I mean the reason it's called appeasement is the literal reason why it is called appeasement but what ever you need to believe that the UK hasn't done bad things.
    The reason behind why it was done, not the reason its named what it is.

Once again, no grasp of history.

Deleted
    Why it was done.

That seems like the important thing lol.

I know why it was done, the british had other things to do. It just lead to the rise of Fascism.
    Why it was done is the only important thing in understanding whether it was bad or not.

It was done because nobody wanted another World War, we can all look back with the benefit of hindsight and say "Well they should have stood up and took Hitler on headfirst", but if you actually understand the state of those countries after World War 1, and the lasting effects of it, you'll understand why no one wanted another one.

The United Kingdom has done a lot of fucked up shit in its time, appeasement is not one of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was pretty obvious what they were doing it was a common military tactic long before Hitler.
    Obvious to who? You?

rofl. Not really the same thing.
    So colonial countries have negative experiences, apart from the ones that don't have negative experiences, which don't count because...reasons. I see.

No you not being aware of how most people live their lives makes you spoilt. You don't need to know every single person in the world to understand how most people are forced to live their lives.
    Actually the poorest people in the world would have far less knowledge of how others live than someone with access to the internet, so by your definition they are spoilt.

The country i live in now was literally forced to support the british or face very serious tariffs and taxes.
    So what? How does that relate to you?

No country had the ability to stop the rise of Nazi germany and did nothing about it.
    That doesn't really make sense. No country fought for longer than Britain did against Nazi Germany, the only countries that fought for an equal length of time were those in the British Empire.

Well your beliefs support fascism, even if you aren't a fascist yourself. I mean while i doubt you condone racial violence your beliefs create an environment in which it thrives.
    My beliefs don't support fascism any more than yours support gassing Jews.

- - - Updated - - -

The nazis implemented a lot of policies if that's the only one you know then lol.
    Indeed they did, but they also had policies such as improving infrastructure and supporting the improvement of infrastructure does not make you a fascist. It is the ones that were bad, such as gassing Jews, that makes the Nazis bad, not every single policy they had.

10+ Year Old Account
    Appeasement is one of the fucked up things the UK has done even if they managed to justify it internally.
    Appeasement was the mainstream view at the time, people didn't want a war. You are looking back at history with the advantage of knowing the outcome, but they didn't have that and few actually thought Germany would be willing to take on both France and Britain again. In fact the ones advocating stopping Hitler were regarded as war mongers, Churchill did so due to his implacable hatred of Fascism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone who studies human behaviour it's obvious to.
    As people typically hate wars on their doorstep, claiming that people should have been in favour of a war on their doorstep is not really evidence that you have much understanding of human behaviour. It had only been 20 years since the most devastating war in European history, nobody really wanted that again, which is prefectly understandable.

They don't count because they are anomalous. I mean I'm not sure about the history of Malta, but i can pretty much assume the local poor people had a bad time when it was colonised.
    They don't count because they fuck up your theory, what about Cyrpus, do they no count as well? Which countries do count?

You're missing the point that most people in the world are the poorest.
    But they are spoilt by your own definition. Perhaps your definition was shit, who knows?

Imagine having empathy for other people and caring about how things effected them...

But it relates to me in many ways.

The average cost of living is higher for example.
    What has that got to do with what Britain did in WWII and what your non-existent country would have done?

Yeah, that's because Britain was the strongest world power at the time. They also let Hitler develop the German army to the point where most of the world had to fight to stop them.
    No country did more though to stop Nazi Germany though. Britain was primarily a naval power, our army was pretty average.

Your non-existent country didn't even bother to fight Hitler at all! Not even a token declaration of war, they may as well have just knelt down and blown him for all the resistance they provided.

You'd be surprised.
    You support gassing Jews? What the fuck?

- - - Updated - - -

Churchill also let thousands of Indian people starve. Sounds kinda fascist to me.
    That had nothing to do with Fascism. What happened in India was due to a combination of bad weather, Japanese invasion, administrative incompetence and having to decide on a strategy which best served the war effort...against Fascism.