Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Is lava burst critting decided on cast or impact?

I'm thinking of leveling up an ele shaman next. I recall reading somewhere that frost mage shatter effects got changed for Legion, but I don't remember nor seem to be able to find the details.

How does this effect lava burst and flame shock? Is it worth casting lava burst before flame shock to pull things?

If you cast LvB then FS I'm pretty sure it'll crit as long as FS is up on impact.

Likewise if it drops off before impact it wont.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyonis View Post
    I'm thinking of leveling up an ele shaman next. I recall reading somewhere that frost mage shatter effects got changed for Legion, but I don't remember nor seem to be able to find the details.

How does this effect lava burst and flame shock? Is it worth casting lava burst before flame shock to pull things?
    It is decided on cast. Tried casting FS after lave burst and it did not crit. But if you get a multistrike, then the 2nd strike will crit though.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    It is decided on cast. Tried casting FS after lave burst and it did not crit. But if you get a multistrike, then the 2nd strike will crit though.
    It is decided on hit. Did it today.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    It is decided on hit. Did it today.
    And i just tried it now. If you cast Lave burst first and flame shock 2nd, then Lave Burst will not have 100% crit chance. Maybe you just hit your natural crit chance.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rue-7 View Post
    Not saying you are wrong, but you use to be able to pre-cast lava burst into flame shock. How close are you standing to the target? Because if you are too close that could be why.
    I was standing at 32 yard range. I am pre-casting flame shock into the lave burst cast time, so it will go off at the moment of lave bursts cast completion. Have now tried it multiple times at different ranges and it is not 100% crit.

Even at max range, the crit is not 100%.

I will also refer to Icy veins opener guide, where they cast flame shock before casting laveburst in their rotation, where they would proberly recommend mixing the two, if the crit was decided on impact.
    Last edited by Flurryfang; 2016-12-06 at 12:40 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rue-7 View Post
    Not saying you are wrong, but you use to be able to pre-cast lava burst into flame shock. How close are you standing to the target? Because if you are too close that could be why.
    It has definitely been that that didn't work before Legion. I was asking because I read some post about frost mages and making things equal or something among those lines.

Thanks for testing everyone. Seems that it didn't change then.

It never worked for Elemental to get the bonus you have when FS is on the target.
    At the moment FS has the effect that LvB always crits.
    I think it was WoD where FS just doubled the damage and LvB always crit.

So the effect was changed, the mechanic that it check if FS is on the target was always on cast.

For Frostmages I think it changed during the WoW lifetime.
    At the moment it is checked on hit. There was a blue post or blog post about this, something like to bring back shatter combo fun.

It didnt, not for WoD or MoP. I remember it 100%, and in fact I have even proposed to make it on hit to Watcher a couple times over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyonis View Post

Yes in one of the final weeks of the legion beta, the shatter effect was changed to hit. However for ele, this is not the case and has not been.

For all spells in wow such effects have always been determined on projectile launch, frost mages only gained the exception in Legion

7+ Year Old Account
    Waitaminute... are you guys trying to tell me that Mages got something that nobody else got... that Blizz is showing some kind of favoritism towards mages?

NAAHHHHHH! I don't believe it!

(hmmm, do we have a sarcasm font in the forums? Just wondering)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shauren View Post
    For all spells in wow such effects have always been determined on projectile launch, frost mages only gained the exception in Legion
    Careful with the use of "Always"... back in Wrath and Cata (at least the first half of Cata) it was in fact determined on hit and not launch.

Granted that's ancient history now... but still...

As of Legion spells aren't locked in once they leave your hand, it is when they hit a target. So if you buff yourself mid flight then that spell is buffed also. The only things that snapshot buffs when cast now are channeled abilities.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I mean..just go to a target dummy and test it.
    Hi Sephurik

They made it based on when the spell is cast way back in WotLK.

And i just tried it now. If you cast Lave burst first and flame shock 2nd, then Lave Burst will not have 100% crit chance. Maybe you just hit your natural crit chance.
    try again on max range and with low ping.

lavaburst that leaves your hand while flameshock debzff is on 0.1 sec timer will not get the benefit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Always FS up first before you do anything else. Never let it run out.

7+ Year Old Account
    Okay, got home, went to the training dummies in the order hall, (cycling between them so I didn't have to wait for Flameshock to fall off each time. Just had to make sure it wasn't on the current target.)

stood near max range and fired off a lava burst and immediately hit it with a flame shock before it hit.

30 Lava Bursts.

30 Crits.

Maybe I'm just the luckiest son of a gun on the planet. (shrugs)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    try again on max range and with low ping.

lavaburst that leaves your hand while flameshock debzff is on 0.1 sec timer will not get the benefit.
    You know what pre-casting does right? I can't cast flame shock faster because it is que up after the Lava burst, so whenever my character can cast again, he will cast flame shock.

But it might just be my PC being slow. Would love to see soe video of somebody doing this

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghrog View Post
    Okay, got home, went to the training dummies in the order hall, (cycling between them so I didn't have to wait for Flameshock to fall off each time. Just had to make sure it wasn't on the current target.)

stood near max range and fired off a lava burst and immediately hit it with a flame shock before it hit.

30 Lava Bursts.

30 Crits.

Maybe I'm just the luckiest son of a gun on the planet. (shrugs)
    It very much seems like people are getting different results here. Might be a bit bugged then from the side of Blizzard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    As of Legion spells aren't locked in once they leave your hand, it is when they hit a target. So if you buff yourself mid flight then that spell is buffed also. The only things that snapshot buffs when cast now are channeled abilities.
    I think this is only how things work for frost mages and not anyother caster.

But i can only tell of how my character reacts. Might be different for other PCs, which have a much lower ping and a much higher FPS.

its not bugged, its a lag / spellque config issue. there is a cvar for spellqueuelatancy, disable it or set it very low and it works perfectly fine.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...oth_stacks_of/

the post of modinstaller explains it exactly.