Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down Man Says Son Is Too "Handsome" For Assault

http://www.refinery29.com/2016/12/13...assault-father

After a high school football player was arrested for sexual assault, his father came out in his defense, telling newspapers that his son couldn't possibly be a rapist — because his son is "tall, dark and handsome."

The boy, a freshman at all-boys Catholic private school De La Salle, was accused of sexually assaulting another high-schooler, a freshman from the all-girls Carondelet High School across the street.
    Both parties remain unnamed as they are both minors, though local newspaper The East Bay Times reports that the assault occurred on the night of a football game (the alleged suspect plays for De La Salle's football team). The survivor reported the assault to her school's principal, who then reported it to the police, and the boy was arrested a week later.

The suspect's father told East Bay Times that his son is "tall, dark and handsome, he plays for De La Salle, there’s a lot of girls that want to be with my son."

Maintaining his son's innocence, the father said that the survivor "basically chased my son down. They were just two teenagers having sex; they were just doing it at the wrong place, at the wrong time.”

The father, who is a registered sex offender himself, told East Bay Times, “Just because my background is what it is — I’m not that type of individual, and neither is my son.”

He added: “I don’t want to see my son be a victim also.”

Meanwhile, the survivor told local television station KPIX5 that the assault was assuredly not consensual.

“It’s not okay for this to happen to anyone and it’s not okay for people, like society, to feel like the person that’s been hurt, that they’ve done something wrong to feel ashamed about the situation,” she said. “Boys need to know that no means no, period. Point blank."

According to NBC Bay Area, the boy has been released from custody, though the investigation is still ongoing.

It should go without saying, but since it apparently doesn't: Even if someone is "tall, dark and handsome," that does not mean that they are not capable of sexual assault. Being an attractive person certainly does not automatically mean consent from every partner in perpetuity, nor does physical attractiveness excuse sexual assault in any way.

In this specific case, girls may or may not be attracted to the boy in question, but if the survivor did not consent to having sex in that particular incident, what happened is indeed sexual assault.
    Well this is a new one. Too handsome? What does that even mean.

Tall dark and handsome? Is this a racial thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Too handsome? What does that even mean.
    It means said person is handsome?

There's not enough info to judge anything, only the father and the girl said something.

Rapists are rapers because they get off on the act of rape not because they can't get any.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stankmouth View Post
    Rapists are rapers because they get off on the act of rape not because they can't get any.
    How do you know this exactly?

A shitty kid's dad said something shitty. Cool story.

- - - Updated - - -

Because psychology is a thing.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps you should wait until there are actually facts before judging someone. The father was clearly just saying that he thinks this is a case of remorse, not rape. The kid was released from custody, and the case is ongoing, which should at the very least tell you that it isn't a simple matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    Perhaps you should wait until there are actually facts before judging someone. The father was clearly just saying that he thinks this is a case of remorse, not rape. The kid was released from custody, and the case is ongoing, which should at the very least tell you that it isn't a simple matter.
    Actually if you read the story, it raises the question of why a registered sex offender is even allowed back onto the streets.

Actually if you read the story, it raises the question of why a registered sex offender is even allowed back onto the streets.
    Because when you're convicted of a crime, you are given a sentence. After you have served whatever that may be, you are allowed to rejoin society. Are you new to earth or just trolling hard?

The father's a registered sexual criminal as well, huh?

Guess the rapey apple doesn't fall far from the rapey tree.

Good thing conventionally good-looking men *never* rape women.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomservo View Post
    Because when you're convicted of a crime, you are given a sentence. After you have served whatever that may be, you are allowed to rejoin society. Are you new to earth or just trolling hard?
    Um no. You think this is a common practice across the globe? It isn't.

If he is guilty i hope they cut his bollocks off in prison!

It's not a common practice to release convicts from prison after they have served a sentence? Please enlighten me as to where this practice is rampant.

What do you believe is the common sentencing across the globe? As far as I could find, punishment for sexual assault / rape is most commonly several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Tall dark and handsome? Is this a racial thing?
    My mother (white) said it a lot. I think it means he gets lots of sun and is nice and tan, because tanned leathery skin is sexy for some reason.

But you know it's a good tactic for the dad to try get another Brock Turner. But this guy is also "handsome" so he can use that to his advantage too. It'd be nice if we actually made justice truly blind and not show the accused.

*Knuckles rap against a door, a few moments later the door opens*

Handsome But Rapey: Can I help you officers?

Policeman #1: Are you Mr Handsome But Rapey?

Handsome But Rapey: Yes indeed I am!

Policeman #2: Sir, we are arresting you on account of a reported Rape, please come with us.

Handsome But Rapey: Oh no no no, I think you're confusing me with an ugly person. As you can clearly see I'm tall, dark and handsome!

*The Policemen stare at each other and give Handsome But Rapey an appraising gaze*

Policeman #2: Hmmmmmmm, he's right you know.

Policeman #1: Aye, everyone knows people that are tall, dark and handsome can't rape women.

Policeman #1: Sorry Mr Handsome But Rapey it appears we've wasted your time here. Please forgive us sir.

Handsome But Rapey: No need to worry good officers, have a pleasant day!

*The door closes and the Policemen walk back to their vehicle*

It means they come on to him.

Yes it is. What isn't a common practice on the other hand is public registries for sex offenders. Information on criminal background or sentencing is often available upon special request (usually for a limited period of time), but public registries that essentially near guarantee that a person cannot reintegrate after completing his or her sentence is quite unusual.

It has been pretty much established that rape is an act of control, expressing power over another individual, much more than an act of sexuality. See prison rapes. Also the rape threats that tend to flood women when they speak out.

That's why such articles are bad, they provoke people to jump to conclusions, create tensions, divisions... We don't know details, there is an investigation and we don't know anything.

It could be a rape and they could be trying to get away with it.

It could also be a case of the girl accusing the boy out of spite.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.