Thread: Guarm Hotfixed

Guarm Hotfixed

Increased the radius of Guarm's Multi-Headed from 8 yards to 30 yards on Mythic difficulty.
    I actually liked solotanking this fight. I felt mortal tanking him last week, for the first time this expansion.
    Every GCD I used counted. I spent pull after pull balancing CD's and externals. Looking at my Ironfur uptime / spread so I always had at least 2 up when I took multiple auto hits.

I'm sad to see it changed to no longer be possible. I know guardians were favored in this by far, and that's why it was fixed. But I'm sad to see them acknowledging they always want 2 tanks to be the main strategy to kill a boss. DPS sit out on bosses all the time. What's wrong with a tank having to do so now and again?

I guess its because they design basicly all raid content around having 2 tanks. Now i don't know if all tanks can pull this off as i'm not on M Guarm, but if its for example only and Warriors, while Pala, DK, Monk, DH for example cannot do it i can see them changing this to level the playing field and avoid situation where more even more casual guilds will take the approach of "Ok Lets make someone roll Guardian for this and gear him up, since its easier than 2 tanking it" if they don't have a Tank maining guardian already.

The sitting out should not really be a problem, unless some tank specs cannot pull this off, i mean i can imagine alot of tanks that dedicate alot of time to their guilds usually would not find it fun to always have to sit because they don't play guardian for example (All guilds / premade raidgroups i have been part of since vanilla up to now, while it havent been alot of different guilds always had the MT's at the highest average attendance levels of all roles). While DPS that sits out for a kill can generally be rotated in for the next kill just because gear over time makes the requirements more easy, i reckon for a tank spec that cannot one tank this would be harder unless you change the tactic to 2 tanking after a few kills.

Deleted
    On one hand my guild is gutted. As we had the solotank way down. Almost killed it last reset.

On the other we're happy because it means our raid leader doesn't have to sit out. He's a Prot Warrior whereas our other tank is guardian. And guardian on that fight was literally unstoppable.

Quote Originally Posted by CenariusTheForestLord View Post
    I'm sad to see it changed to no longer be possible. I know guardians were favored in this by far, and that's why it was fixed. But I'm sad to see them acknowledging they always want 2 tanks to be the main strategy to kill a boss. DPS sit out on bosses all the time. What's wrong with a tank having to do so now and again?
    DPS (and sometimes healers) sit because guilds tend to over-recruit to cover absences and whatnot, not as a consequence of raid design.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmin View Post
    On one hand my guild is gutted. As we had the solotank way down. Almost killed it last reset.

On the other we're happy because it means our raid leader doesn't have to sit out. He's a Prot Warrior whereas our other tank is guardian. And guardian on that fight was literally unstoppable.
    How is your guild gutted, nothing changes as far as the strat is concerned.

Prot warriors are just as capable solo tanking it as a guardian druid is. Druid is favored, but it's not impossible for a prot warrior to tank this. The only two tanks that cannot solo tank Guarm are brewmasters and prot paladins as far as i know. Guardian > Prot Warr > DH in that order are the best for solo tanking it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CenariusTheForestLord View Post
    I actually liked solotanking this fight. I felt mortal tanking him last week, for the first time this expansion.
    Every GCD I used counted. I spent pull after pull balancing CD's and externals. Looking at my Ironfur uptime / spread so I always had at least 2 up when I took multiple auto hits.

i would not call this an acknowledgement because 3 out of the 6 tank classes are not CAPABLE of solo tanking it. What happens if solo tanking guarm is the strategy blizzard wanted and then a guild gets to Guarm that only have a prot paladin, Blood DK, or Brewmaster to choose from? Tell them "go find a capable tank"?

There's a difference between something intended to being single tanked, and something being single tanked because you are lucky enough to have the correct raid comp to do it.

The only other option would be to buff the 3 non capable tanks which is far more difficult to do and would indirectly effect their survivability for every other raid encounter.

Have to admit solo tanking mythic guarm was pretty fun as sa tank, i had to be careful about my survival and i actually used survival trinkets... That's how a high damage fight should be for tanks.

Oh well, back to dps trinkets and hitting ironfur mindlessly

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyepic View Post

Prot warriors are just as capable solo tanking it as a guardian druid is. Druid is favored, but it's not impossible for a prot warrior to tank this. The only two tanks that cannot solo tank Guarm are brewmasters and prot paladins as far as i know. Guardian > Prot Warr > DH in that order are the best for solo tanking it.
    We're just gutted on a whole, mainly for the Guardian Tank, as he was having quite a bit of fun solo-tanking it. Feeliing actually under pressure as a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyepic View Post

How can you claim that brewmasters cannot solo tank Guarm when taking a glance at warcraftlogs would immediately show the opposite? The earliest brewmaster kill on warcraftlogs is tanking solo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Curmin View Post

How is your guild gutted? With the 30 yard range increase, you can literally have your tank play the solo tank tactic while having your 2nd tank stand at the position you turn him to for breaths. Not only will your raid not have to change anything, it'll also be safer because there's no longer a risk of people eating a multiheaded when certain debuffs and breath overlap. Thanks to the 5% HP nerf, the enrage is also easier to beat to boot. We had our third kill this week with 13 seconds left until enrage even though we were missing a DPS for more than half the fight.