Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Nerd View Post
    Makes me think, you are not doing anything productive, not socializing and not improving on yourself.

Should video games be considered a hobby or not?
    A hobby is any activity you choose to do in your spare time to pass the time away. You do not need to socialize, be productive, or improve yourself.

15+ Year Old Account
    Makes me think, you are not doing anything productive, not socializing and not improving on yourself.
    That is not universally true for all video games... or even for a large amount. Makes me think whether or not it really made you think.

It is completely possible to be productive when playing games (training to go competitive and win something, just like some people cook or garden or groom their dog or whatever with the aim of going to a competition with it).

There are a fuckton of games where you socialize. Like... it's actually difficult NOT to socialize in modern video games, you'd have to actively avoid it.

There are many many games where you improve yourself (such as games of intellect... as opposed to the shitty braindead console shooters that most of the media thinks of when they hear the term video game).
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    Blizzard didn't have any problem killing Kael'thas, Illidan, Kael'thas, Lady Vashj, or even Kael'thas.

Deleted
    collecting stamps or fishing for sport aren't productive, socializing or otherwise useful either but are widely acknowledged to be hobbies by old geezers. Gaming isn't much different. Except you actually can socialize doing so, community is very wide, you can better yourself while playing(or worse or neither) and you actually could get real life value out of it. I know at least 3 people who landed a job or got better job by being active in online game community.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes and that's pretty cut and dry.

Like most hobbies it can be made into a business too (esports), but for most people it is a hobby. The not productive or benefiting yourself part is always subjective. If it helps with social anxiety, helps being more competitive, helps reduce stress, increases creativity and imagination...those are still productive things that in a way are bettering yourself. I think most hobbies fall into that category of always having at least some indirect benefits.

Are you serious? Building plastic airplanes is considered a hobby. Building ships to put in bottles likewise.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    A hobby isn't defined by how productive, social or self-improving it is.

Yes, video games can be a hobby.
    Hell, come to think of it, Hobby's are generally not productive by their nature. They are something that the one doing the hobby enjoys, regardless of their 'impact' on their life and the world.

wow can be social, at least when you're on discord with a big guild.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    well

in the world either you :
    create
    experience the creations

if there is no one to experience the creations, why creating at all ? especially since said creations make the world economy work

this is not an interesting question OP
    a hobby is by definition something you "just" do

As much a hobby as anything else, isn't it? "Hobby" isn't a value judgment on an activity so much as a measure of the type and amount of attention you give to it.

1. You can make money off Gaming.
    2. You can learn from Gaming.
    3. Online games are more social than sitting on the couch watching TV or talking on the phone to one person.

Damn I just waisted my time posting on this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    The OP was pretty damn straight forward. Don't know how you were confused.
    I have a sense of humor for sale if you are interested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Collectible? Check. Competitive? Check. Communities? Check.

In some terms even a single game *cough*wow*cough* could be considered a hobby so yes, absolutely games are a hobby.

since when does hobby require you to be doing something productive, socializing, or improving yourself? hobby is something you do for fun, hopefuly in your free time - consistently/repeatedly.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it is not a real hobby. First it must go on an adventure and save his father from a giant white whale before the queen fairy will make him a real hobby.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

my life would be drastically different without video games

10+ Year Old Account
    Since when those are the criteria for something to be a "hobby"?

Hobby is something that you enjoy doing, possibly doing regularly, that's it.

And technically masturbation is a hobby.

Deleted
    Ehm, yes. If reading novels is a hobby, then why wouldn't gaming be? Most of the time you are in fact socializing with other people considering that most games are mp nowadays. Aside from that you're immersing yourself in stories and different worlds. Not to mention that games require a good amount of cognitive functioning, i.e. you're constantly thinking. How is gaming not the best hobby ever?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linri View Post
    my life would be drastically different without video games
    Same, I would have gone to gym a lot more often.

Can I sue the internet for being fat?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Same, I would have gone to gym a lot more often.

Can I sue the internet for being fat?
    No, but you can wail and complain for days instead!

Deleted
    Is hiking alone in the wild a real hobby or not? Democracy can happen with people who play video games but not with people who are always alone in the wild. Now review the word real and mourn.