Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Worst JRPG you've ever played?

Was just thinking about horrible JRPG's for some reason and was curious to hear what the worst ones you've played are.

For me, Granstream Saga, Guardian's Crusade, Shadow Madness, Enchanted Arms and Hyperdimension Neptunia spring to mind. I'm pretty sure I got a quarter to half way through these and just gave up.

The worst that I've finished would have to be Holy Magic Century (Quest 64). What a load of rubbish.
    Last edited by Morillus; 2016-12-07 at 06:18 PM.

Quest 64.

I was legitimately only able to play it because I was a kid at the time and had no idea about plot anyway.

Please don't hurt me for saying this: Final Fantasy X

The progression is system is clunky and convoluted, the side quests are ridiculous (dodge 200 lightning bolts in a row to get a weapon?), the camera orientation makes for some rather tedious level exploration, the main character is genuinely annoying (the key difference between Tidus and Vaan is that at Tidus is a standout annoyance in every scene he is in, and considering that he's the main character, that involves most of them. At least Vaan was quiet and stayed on sidelines; it's really telling that when I think of the worst Final Fantasy MCs, I never think of Vaan but I do remember Tidus). The art style was headachey to look at times (especially Zanarkland). That being said, it's not a bad game, just in my opinion the worst JRPG I've played.

10+ Year Old Account
    Magna Carta II. Only JRPG in history I have returned on the very first day of buying it. EVERYTHING about the game, from graphics to characters, plot and combat system was utter trash.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Half of me wants to say Evergrace, the other half wants to say Forever Kingdom. PS2 might have had great gems, but it also had some of the worst JRPGs ever.

I find Chrono Trigger to be unplayable for me.

LOL @ people listing okay games that just disappointed them or in some cases good games trying to trigger people.

Time and Eternity for me, got it on sale at Amazon for $10 with the day 1 goodies(like a few months after the original release at $60 how bad could it be?). What a piece of absolute garbage, I could have paid a penny for it and it would have been a waste of money.

this game, hated the combat in it, and omg sooooo many loading screens, people that played through it claims its a good game but the combat and the load screens was just boring.

I quite liked Last Remnant, and I don't remember excessive loading... did you play on console? Maybe it was different on PC.

The blessing and curse of Last Remnant was its focus on squad based combat, rather than individual combat. Blessing because it made for an interesting new experience, and curse because sometimes you just didn't get the commands you wanted which could be really fucking annoying. Being careful with skill use to make sure you changed into the right classes was a bit of a pain, too.

I'd agree with Hyperdimension Neptunia (the original) being objectively terrible. The graphics were bad, the combat was nasty, the dungeons were super repetitive, and you couldn't even fill your party (til super late game anyway) without paying for the DLC. Some of the later ones were better.

I didn't get far in Eternal Sonata, but I found that to be pretty terrible, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Last Remnany and Infinite Undiscovery were dull and uninteresting, with clunky, strange combat systems and (imo) horrible VO.

I didn't enjoy Eternal Sonata, but I could see the appeal. Just not for me.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm. I suppose Suikoden 4. Not to insinuate it's a bad JRPG, just that I've been reasonably lucky that S4 happened to be the bottom of my personal barrel (trying to measure up to the rest of the Suikoden franchise did it no favors). Point of fact, the biggest criticisms I usually see levied at Suikoden 4 is that it's a good RPG, but a bad Suikoden due to the clunky character models (even 3's more-dated models have a sort of artistic charm to them that 4's generally lack; many character designs in 4 are very blase and generic) and the too-high random encounter rate for the series (on sea and in some dungeons, it's not unheard of to literally hit random encounters every other step in some areas).
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Makai Kingdom.

I absolute adore the Disgaea series, but I really just hated everything they did differently in this game.

The protagonist was annoying, the battle system was different for no discernible reason (for the worse), I hated the way movement and targeted worked in the game, and the "extension" system for the maps, overall I thought it was just incredibly subpar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    LOL @ people listing okay games that just disappointed them or in some cases good games trying to trigger people.

Time and Eternity for me, got it on sale at Amazon for $10 with the day 1 goodies(like a few months after the original release at $60 how bad could it be?). What a piece of absolute garbage, I could have paid a penny for it and it would have been a waste of money.
    Do you consider Quest 64 to be okay or good? Genuinely curious because I'm a bit concerned if you do

Well, genuinely curious at least.

Maybe Saga Frontier. But the SNES Era brought the equal of greatness as awfulness.

Blue Dragon. Bland characters, despite going with the DB/DBZ/DBS/whichever artstyle, dull plot, drawn out game play. And it had more than one disc!? Good God, I never got that far.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate to say it, but Chrono Cross. It was just so boring.

I would say Xenogears. it started out really good but about half way through the game changed so that instead of actually going through the dg's they just told you about it and gave you a battles to fight.

this might be cliche but FF13. I have limited experience in that genre and bought it, was... ok until I hit a brick wall with one of the earlier bosses. looked up a guide on how to beat it and it angered me how complicated it was to beat him when I had no idea I had to do a stance dance. I can't say it was a horrible JRPG, just the only one I ended up putting on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    That is generally what will happen when a thread is named, "Worst JRPG YOU'VE ever played?" it's their own opinion of it.

On topic: This will certainly get me shot. Mine was Final Fantasy 7. I could never get into it early on for some reason and just wound up stopping after a while. I think the most I have clocked is about 7-10 hours or so. Could have something to do with the fact that I first played FFX on the PS2 and graphics, sounds etc had progressed at that point. Having said that, I am tentatively looking forward to the remake.
    Main toon: Priest
    Alts: Rogue, Druid and Paladin plus many, many more.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Please don't hurt me for saying this: Final Fantasy X

The progression is system is clunky and convoluted, the side quests are ridiculous (dodge 200 lightning bolts in a row to get a weapon?), the camera orientation makes for some rather tedious level exploration, the main character is genuinely annoying (the key difference between Tidus and Vaan is that at Tidus is a standout annoyance in every scene he is in, and considering that he's the main character, that involves most of them. At least Vaan was quiet and stayed on sidelines; it's really telling that when I think of the worst Final Fantasy MCs, I never think of Vaan but I do remember Tidus). The art style was headachey to look at times (especially Zanarkland). That being said, it's not a bad game, just in my opinion the worst JRPG I've played.
    then you should try play some more JRPG's, it's not the best FF but if thats your worst, you've played like 3?

anyway i dodged 376 lightning bolts recently i just kept going for fun, still didn't fail i could of gone to 999 it's call noticing a pattern and skill, after 4 hours of chocobo racing i finally beat it by -5.3 seconds lol, sure you hate them but beating them is epic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Farath View Post
    That is generally what will happen when a thread is named, "Worst JRPG YOU'VE ever played?" it's their own opinion of it.
    yeh and you with FF 7 you should list that you've own played FF's and zero other JRPG's so your worst JRPG is a FF because you've played no others.

its like saying whats the worst mmorpg you've ever played, and people will say WoW, you'll be lije nice trolling, but no they've only played a total of 1 mmorpg so technically its their worst.