Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Education. I teach people like you not to be little shits, but you don't listen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    *you're

(I'm sorry)

(It's only funny because you mentioned majoring in linguistics)

(Still, I apologize to everyone reading this)
    Planning to apologize to everyone else with imaginary degrees and and six figure salarees?

Damn shame I didnt major in poetry.

Electrical engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Basically, yeah. I switched out of CS and expected to never do it again. But lo and behold, here I am using C++ again in grad school. All roads lead to Rome.
    Programming is basicly a basic toolset/skill in almost all STEM jobs today, pretty much like math. Heck half the external programmers we have around here got degrees in mechanical engineering - thats how far it goes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Electrical engineering.

Programming is basicly a basic toolset/skill in almost all STEM jobs today, pretty much like math. Heck half the external programmers we have around here got degrees in mechanical engineering - thats how far it goes.
    About 1/2 of our programmers are EEs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    About 1/2 of our programmers are EEs.
    That's how it is. In the R&D department on the electrical side we all programm. You can't do shit in EE these days without programming, and it's just getting more and more still. Many just go from there and do programming as their main thing after they've realized they haven't designed a circuit since uni.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's how it is. In the R&D department on the electrical side we all programm. You can't do shit in EE these days without programming, and it's just getting more and more still. Many just go from there and do programming as their main thing after they've realized they haven't designed a circuit since uni.
    I spent 20+ years in electronics before finally having to get involved in programming this past year. it has made me feel.....tainted.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have a Bach. in PR and management communcation, a Bach. in Marketing communication and a MBA.

Currently taking a Bach. in Chinese(Mandarin) with China studies.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Got a MS in Applied Physics, but I learned HTML and ASP in the early 90s for fun and was hired to write intranet pages for a few banks. Never had a chance to use my degree. Not even sure I could if I wanted to, I've been developing software for 25+ years. . . .

It kind of makes me mad when I think about the wasted money for that degree. I literally learned to be a developer from MIRC and Barnes and Nobles (youtube wasnt out yet). . . . for free. . . . .
    You are exactly the kind of person who should be a programmer. Too many people go to school to be programmers because of the pay and can't really program shit. Not the right mindset. You need to be genuinely interested in it and you can learn it on your own.

I never finished and glad I didn't. I went to ITT for Multimedia and Game Design and did well enough in class when I cared to work at it. Anyone looking into IT work should just look at getting certified in whatever you are interested in.

I spent 20+ years in electronics before finally having to get involved in programming this past year. it has made me feel.....tainted.
    How did you manage that? Did you design lightbulbs? oO

I was a Physics Major.

Then I got the PhD in Physics.

Now I teach Physics Majors.

10+ Year Old Account
    The guy at the local car stereo store also works in "electronics". Same with the guys at Radio Shack...

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Education. I teach people like you not to be little shits, but you don't listen.
    Pretty much this. With a side of ELA, so I'll try to explain to you the importance of proper grammar/spelling, but you'll insist you're above it while telling me that I'm the egotistical one.

10+ Year Old Account
    No formal degree. I have 2 licenses though. As a plumber in the state of Illinois which I've had since 2002, that I still renew just in case. Also as a locomotive engineer in the United States and Canada that I've had since 2009.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    *you're

(I'm sorry)

(It's only funny because you mentioned majoring in linguistics)

(Still, I apologize to everyone reading this)
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL no appology necessary, that was some delicious schadenfreude.

Linguistics minor indeed
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

BSc Enviro Science. Post Grad Diploma in Bus Admin.

Currently work in Alcohol industry.
    Perks..I get free booze.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have either worked on analog systems or have had software engineers to handle the programming. Now i am in charge of quality, and have to deal with software quality.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    The guy at the local car stereo store also works in "electronics". Same with the guys at Radio Shack...
    I have designed and built radios, for military UAVs. Actually, my current job is the first one with a company that manufactures electronics for general consumers and not the military or industry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was polisci/criminal justice, gonna be out of law school in may.

I have either worked on analog systems or have had software engineers to handle the programming. Now i am in charge of quality, and have to deal with software quality.....
    Oh my that is quite the change. So, now that you are relatively fresh in it, how much do you hate "actual programmers" (not the ones that come from other industries, the ones that directly come from uni and whose way is the only way)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh my that is quite the change. So, now that you are relatively fresh in it, how much do you hate "actual programmers" (not the ones that come from other industries, the ones that directly come from uni and whose way is the only way)?
    Dont know, the greenest programer we have has 5+ years of experience, but I have generally found most fresh out of university engineers of any type are useless until they learn the difference between theory and reality.