Thread: New to SSD

New to SSD

I got the Samsung 850 EVO (not the internal one). I have a few questions on how to approach setting it up:

1- I'm currently using Windows 7, installed on the hard disk as with all programs (which are few since I did a clean install like a month ago).

I bought Windows 10 a month ago expecting to swap to it once I got an SSD.

Given the information above:

How do I go about setting it up?

Do I reformat my hard disk to erase everything off it, and then choose to install Windows 10 into the SSD? I got the digital purchase of Windows 10, I don't have a disk. Maybe I should download and install Windows 10 into the SSD first, before I reformat my hard disk?

- After getting Windows 10 set up on the SSD, I'm assuming I will also copy my WoW folder into the SSD, or do I just re-download it?

My setup is the following:

Intel i5-2500K
    8GB RAM (64 bit Windows 7 installed)
    Nvidia 970GTX

Essentially, I'm unsure of how to set up my SSD so my transition to Windows 10 doesn't create any conflicts with what I have on my hard disk so far.

Download latest official Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft-->
    Use Rufus to flash in a USB drive-->
    Install SSD-->
    Disconnect HDD to avoid any files created there for whatever reason--->
    Install Windows 10 in SSD-->
    Make sure its done 100%--->
    Connect HDD again-->
    Boot in Windows 10-->
    Save important files from Windows 7 HDD to SSD like work/photos/videos etc whatever you want to keep-->
    Format HDD to avoid any existence of Windows 7-->
    Copy old files to HDD to save space on SSD.

As for WoW, i would suggest redownloading if you havent after Legion, there is a ton of worthless leftover data, my legion installation was 52GB when the game was 38GB, now its like 40-41GB with patch 7.1 so anything more is older garbage files, Blizzard hasnt done a goob job cleaning them, check the file size and you will now, there were people with 70-90GB WoW folders without screenshots cause of this.
    Last edited by potis; 2016-12-08 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Download latest official Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft-->
    Use Rufus to flash in a USB drive-->
    Install SSD-->
    Disconnect HDD to avoid any files created there for whatever reason--->
    Install Windows 10 in SSD-->
    Make sure its done 100%--->
    Connect HDD again-->
    Boot in Windows 10-->
    Save important files from Windows 7 HDD to SSD like work/photos/videos etc whatever you want to keep-->
    Format HDD to avoid any existence of Windows 7-->
    Copy old files to HDD to save space on SSD.

As for WoW, i would suggest redownloading if you havent after Legion, there is a ton of worthless leftover data, my legion installation was 52GB when the game was 38GB, now its like 40-41GB with patch 7.1 so anything more is older garbage files, Blizzard hasnt done a goob job cleaning them, check the file size and you will now, there were people with 70-90GB WoW folders without screenshots cause of this.
    Thanks! I'm so ready to be rid of those eternal loading screens that came with 7.1

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post

Blizz was a little late with the clean up, but they did run a cleanup about a month after launch (had to run the launcher). My wow folder was around 60GB and is now 42GB, so they've cleaned\compacted most of it up.

Though if one has the speedy bandwidth or doesn't mind waiting, no harm in downloading it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucrece View Post
    Thanks! I'm so ready to be rid of those eternal loading screens that came with 7.1
    That's not guaranteed as blizz knows there is a problem, but they can't find out what it is to fix it so it may continue even with an SSD. Also why go for an external one? they are slower then internal.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    That's not guaranteed as blizz knows there is a problem, but they can't find out what it is to fix it so it may continue even with an SSD. Also why go for an external one? they are slower then internal.
    Even with the large case I have, the heatsink and GTX970 take up a lot of space and I really don't want to deal with plugging in more stuff into it. It was already painful enough getting the RAM sticks sorted alongside that massive heatsink. The less I have to manage in there the better I feel.

The one I got is this:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-I...+evo+850+500gb

So I guess I was wrong, it is internal but doesn't look like a chip like the other one that was on the front page sales in this site.

Also noticed this product does not come with any of the cables it shows in its installation manual (I have no sata to USB adaptor let alone spare SATA power/data cables), so I either buy extra cables to use with the HDD, or I just replace the HDD and use the cables for my SSD. Which means I will have to make a USB/CD out of the digital Windows 10 I bought to install onto that SSD.
    Last edited by Lucrece; 2016-12-08 at 04:02 PM.

It would be very unusual to have no spare HDD/SSD connector on your PSU, I don't know who built your pc, but a normal PSU HDD/SSD cable has the possibility to have 2 devices connected to it.

If you built your pc yourself, there usually are some spare SATA cables that come with the motherboard, adding an SSD to the inside of the PC is not that hard, it has no moving parts and you can even tape it to something with double sided tape if you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    It would be very unusual to have no spare HDD/SSD connector on your PSU, I don't know who built your pc, but a normal PSU HDD/SSD cable has the possibility to have 2 devices connected to it.

If you built your pc yourself, there usually are some spare SATA cables that come with the motherboard, adding an SSD to the inside of the PC is not that hard, it has no moving parts and you can even tape it to something with double sided tape if you wanted.
    Oh, I have the sockets in the PSU/motherboard.

What I don't have is the extra cables. I'll look around my boxes but I built this PC about 3 years ago and the latest upgrades were the graphics card and heatsink (both of which are just enormous and make cable management even more of a pain; lesson learned next time I buy components!).

As usual, I'm probably complicating things just like I was so panicked about electric discharge when I first built this PC (first time ever building any), and it turns out even in Florida with all the humidity things turned out just fine.
    Last edited by Lucrece; 2016-12-08 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucrece View Post
    electric discharge
    with the power cable plugged in and the psu switched off, touch any metal part of the case and it should eat any static built up in you. that is what i've always read anywho~

i'd be very surprised if your psu doesn't have a free sata power somewhere, if it is a modular model then you've probably got one in the box. as for sata data cable, yeah.. my motherboard only came with 3 which i guess is enough for most people, oh well. you can pick one up pretty easily on whatever website you wanna~

don't be afraid of your pc though! they're harder to kill than you might think, take a look at that thread where the guy was running their pc with no heatsink on their cpu! as long as you don't do something like that or try and force things into slots where they aren't fitting, you're probably not gonna break anything~ just take your time, if halfway through your cabling you realise something doesn't reach and you gotta do it all again to make it work, just do it all again. patience is the key!