Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Explain your shortage then.
    I mean it's explained in the OP. Lower birth rate combined with an economy that survived the crash rather well means there is a demand for certain skills. It also depends what people are doing coming out of school, for example some of the biggest shortages are in teaching (especially science and maths.) Those kind of jobs also need to see a raise in pay (which they will be seeing.)

The net average after tax is a bit lower than the US for national wage, but it's far more likely both partners will be working here as well as having more support available in terms of child care and days off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Them being a completely disingenuous poster, is hardly a revelation.
    tennisace is multiple people?

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    I mean it's explained in the OP. Lower birth rate combined with an economy that survived the crash rather well means there is a demand for certain skills. It also depends what people are doing coming out of school, for example some of the biggest shortages are in teaching (especially science and maths.) Those kind of jobs also need to see a raise in pay (which they will be seeing.)

The net average after tax is a bit lower than the US for national wage, but it's far more likely both partners will be working here as well as having more support available in terms of child care and days off.
    When we talk about importing labor, we normally talk about labor with high skills though. And a lot of high skill labor is drawn to the U.S despite the differences you listed in your last post.

A lot of the issues you bring up with child care/healthcare are less of an issue for these high skilled laborers because they find themselves on a nice peg on the income ladder.

When we talk about importing labor, we normally talk about labor with high skills though. And a lot of high skill labor is drawn to the U.S despite the differences you listed in your last post.

A lot of the issues you bring up with child care/healthcare are less of an issue for these high skilled laborers because they find themselves on a nice peg on the income ladder.
    I mean I literally just wrote it out for you which of the jobs we have shortages in, as did Kitty Kit. Are you not reading shit or what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    tennisace is multiple people?
    I am not saying they have multiple accounts.

I am not saying they don't either.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean I literally just wrote it out for you which of the jobs we have shortages in, as did Kitty Kit. Are you not reading shit or what?
    Science and Maths.

High skilled labor.

Glad we're on the same page?

Science and Maths.

High skilled labor.

Teaching.

Not top end jobs, most of the jobs that have shortages are very distinctly at the lower end of middle class.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes I know this is a controversial topic

This "we need immigrants to keep the population intact or fill jobs" excuse is being thrown around all around europe, mostly the EU.

It all heated up more since the whole middle east crisis over the last decade.

Meanwhile a lot of native europeans are jobless too, and housing costs are only going up while banks lower interest rates to near 0%.

War immigrants is one thing, economic immigrants another, and well educated immigrants from other countries not in conflict/crisis is a 3rd different thing.

Meanwhile healthcare is getting cut, costs going up and more and rumours of the EU wanting to rebuild their armies that were heavily reduced after the 90s.

The rich are getting richer, and drive their fancy cars and live in their million mansions/penthouses. Middle class is getting poorer. And the new generation will have an even harder time with the current study/housing costs.
    Last edited by Teri; 2016-12-09 at 03:18 AM.

Deleted
    Science and Maths.

High skilled labor.

Teaching has relatively high requirements and is deemed as high skill in Sweden. It's not on the same level as engineering but it's still up there with having to attend university to get a license to teach.

10+ Year Old Account
    Teaching.

Not top end jobs, most of the jobs that have shortages are very distinctly at the lower end of middle class.
    Sweden is in a world of its own. I assumed it was like everyone else when it came to labor shortages.

Also, I see my misread now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Yes I know this is a controversial topic

This "we need immigrants to keep the population intact or fill jobs" excuse is being thrown around all around europe, mostly the EU.
    We do need immigrants in many areas to fill jobs. We can't possibly educate Swedes fast enough to fill those kind of jobs as it takes years to finish those educations. If we start today we will see those people who start today start working in maybe 3-5 years. We need people NOW. Not in 3-5 years. Now. The only way for that is through immigration of people who have the education.

Meanwhile a lot of native europeans are jobless too, and housing costs are only going up while banks lower interest rates to near 0%.
    Sweden has a very low unemployment rate at about 6% currently IIRC. Most of the unemployment is amongst the low unskilled workers, which in general isn't Swedes. It's also a very hard job market for non-Swedes to break into, as Swedish names are more likely to be considered for interviews and in a lot of cases its just old fashion nepotism in action.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Kits View Post
    Teaching has relatively high requirements and is deemed as high skill in Sweden. It's not on the same level as engineering but it's still up there with having to attend university to get a license to teach.
    It was a far lower requirement than to become a teacher in England that's for sure, that is also reflected in the wage being at around 10,000SEK lower a year than a starting position at a school in London.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Kits View Post
    We do need immigrants in many areas to fill jobs. We can't possibly educate Swedes fast enough to fill those kind of jobs as it takes years to finish those educations. If we start today we will see those people who start today start working in maybe 3-5 years. We need people NOW. Not in 3-5 years. Now. The only way for that is through immigration of people who have the education.
    Yes of course but where are you going to get those people if all around the western world high-end jobs/education numbers are dropping fast each generation. The middle east crisis? Asia? Africa?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Yea prbly should aim much higher since a large portion of them will most likely not work.
    In the long run it will be worth it.
    It's like the Prime Minister of Canada said, maybe the parents didn't integrate well but the kids end up being contributors to society.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I am not saying they have multiple accounts.

I am not saying they don't either.
    Lmao at this accusation. Go ahead though, what other accounts do I have?

Deleted
    Yes of course but where are you going to get those people if all around the western world high-end jobs/education numbers are dropping fast each generation. The middle east crisis? Asia? Africa?
    There are people who can fill many of these spots in various areas. The requirements for them to get to immigrate here and actually take the jobs are on the other hand absurdly high.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In the long run it will be worth it.
    It's like the Prime Minister of Canada said, maybe the parents didn't integrate well but the kids end up being contributors to society.
    The immigrants that Sweden is fishing for aren't from the kind you're clearly thinking of. It needs people that are already trained to fill the positions now, not in 30 years or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    That is the main issue, yes.
    Good luck with that though. We don't pay people enough and it's cold as heck.
    It's not about the pay. The government provides so much more services than just about every country out there.

- - - Updated - - -

The immigrants that Sweden is fishing for aren't from the kind you're clearly thinking of. It needs people that are already trained to fill the positions now, not in 30 years or so.
    Okay then who is to say a few well organized, well resourced training programs can't get these people trained in a short period of time. It seems doable.

Okay then who is to say a few well organized, well resourced training programs can't get these people trained in a short period of time. It seems doable.
    Because if it was that simple it'd just offer the training to people already here?

Deleted

... No, it's not doable. People are already getting their educations as fast as they can through universities and we'll have to wait 3-5 years or even more with people who would start today before they even can work.