Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Have you ever quit a job on principle?

Just curious if anyone has been in a position where they decided to quit a job on principles alone. Even if it was scary. Emotions like fear telling you to stay so you can make rent, pay your bills, etc. But reason telling you something going on breaks your internal honor system in some way. Or maybe it was some sort of pride/ego issue?

I guess it also depends how egregious the dishonorable act right?

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Just curious if anyone has been in a position where they decided to quit a job on principles alone. Even if it was scary. Emotions like fear telling you to stay so you can make rent, pay your bills, etc. But reason telling you something going on breaks your internal honor system in some way. Or maybe it was some sort of pride/ego issue?

Yeah but I was in college so no big deal. I quit one job because I worked with sexist women, and I quit another because I refused to serve uncooked beef to customers, which by the way a friend of mine ate said beef and she got sick, never ate Arby's again.

10+ Year Old Account

Last job I quit like that was when I was working at TGIFridays. I have very high service standards. Out of the 10 servers on for a saturday night shift, only 2-3 including myself actually gave a shit. It got to the point where I was waiting extra tables just so people didn't walk out.

I ended up getting fed up because nothing we being done about it, and cashed out mid dinner rush on a weekend. I told them I was through putting in 200% effort while half the staff was out back screwing around. I was quite livid.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I have. I refuse to work for mass narcissists that everyday comes up with some stupid and outlandish claims, and argues how right they are no matter how stupid and wrong it is, until the other just gives up. Literally stuff like "rocks are made of ballpens" (that actually being more plausible than most of the crap I heard) Or wanting projects fail because superiors didn't follow the ideas to the letter, just so one could say "told you so" everytime.

Saw it for 3 months each day, and not ever again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

I tried once but it ended up working incredibly well in my favor so I stayed.

I quit my job every day. Then I come back at 9 am the next morning.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Yeah I was working for my mom's abusive husband and as soon as I found out I quit

I lasted a week or so at a telephone survey job. It was easy, but soul crushing work. I hated the job, and myself for bothering people with surveys at night.

One day (this was in college) I took a couple 5 foot bong rips before work. I couldn't get through a survey I was so high. I ended up telling the manager I was too stoned to work. He didn't even fire me. I never returned anyway.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

I've been employed at places that didn't align with my principles.

Ultimately, if it affects your quality of life, or the quality of your work, then it is a relationship with negative outcomes for both you and the employer. You can't perform at your best if you don't believe in what you are doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. I had a boss years ago that asked me to falsify a document. I resigned on the spot.

I later resigned from another job as a regional manager because I felt that they treated people like crap. They asked me to stay, gave me a healthy raise, and I sold out with promises of how much better the company was going to be (once the merger it was undergoing was finished). I stayed another 6 months and resigned again because nothing really had changed or even looked like it was starting to change.

Deleted

I've not quit a job, but during my education I had .. dunno the english word, but my studies required some practical experiance as a part of the program. So I was "working" at a home for people suffering of paranoid scizhofrenia.... Let's just say, the way they treated their patients and directly made them sicker in some cases in order to make more money (they earned money for them staying there so.... )

I just couldnt handle it, nor could I report it since I had no real evidence on record that they were mistreating them, and mistreatment within psychiatry is sadly way way common... so Doubt anything would've happened. Regardless, I wanted no part in it.

Nope, I'm too poor for dignity.
    Hi Sephurik

Yep. It was a telemarketing place. I wasn't excited for it to begin with, but needed the money and they said we'd only have to call businesses, not people at home.

My very first call ended up being a lady at her house, and it woke up her baby who'd just gone to sleep. She was (understandably) livid. I apologized, hung up, and walked right out of the building. I may have been hurting for money, but not enough to take a job that involves ruining someone else's day.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I kind of quit a job once due to a contract dispute. A couple months after signing with a company, the company amended the contract preventing any contracted employees from working with external business partners for up to 18months after leaving the company I was at with one option : 25% of the salary negotiated when starting employment at the outside company would have to be paid to the company I was working for. I refused and was given a payout for the remainder of my contract, roughly 6 weeks, and that was that. Closest I ever come to physical violence in the work place. The owner of the company, a man significantly largely than me, I swear he was ready to jump across his desk and punch me out when I told him no. Good times.

Yes I quit a bar tending job in college; someone had stolen a bottle of whisky and they management decided to pay for it by taking the tips which were already being put in a communal pot.

That was the last straw, walked out mid shift.

Edit: Should clarify that the person who stole the bottle of whisky had already been caught on CCTV and fired.

Also that reminds me I quit another bar tending job in similar fashion. I worked closing one night and the manager had us poor the beer drip trays out into pint glasses, how much there was determined how much cash would be taken out the tips.

That was my last shift there.
    Last edited by TheTaurenOrc; 2016-12-09 at 09:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No I've never had a job so important (yet) that I'd have to reconsider leaving if I really wanted to.

I've refused to do one thing before out of principle and that was at a shitty fast food job where the manager wanted me to stand out in the Texas heat in some god damn chicken suit. I flat out refused and held my ground. She was pissed but she got somebody else to do it and I went back to work.

Not really on principle but I once got a job at an "old school" place where you were docked pay when you showed up at 10 minutes after 8am, you had to eat lunch at 12pm, there was a dress code, etc. I was so used to a modern work environment by then that the old school style was very hard to adapt to. One thing I will say about the place is that at 5pm everyone quit and went home, the modern way is to stay and work after hours.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Kind of?

I did a work experience thing when i was younger at this little store in my town. The boss was a complete asshole, but i tolerated him. It was for 8 weeks. 4 weeks in the boss decides we're all getting uniforms. Cool, whatever.

Doesn't ask me for my measurements at all, totally guesses. Gets me first a t shirt that near hangs down to my knees, when tucked in looks like i'm wearing a bed sheet. Ask him to get it smaller, even suggest i can just continue wearing my own clothes (I have my own blue shirts, and i was already wearing dress / suit trousers, so why not, right?

Well, he gives it to his wife this time. The wife doesn't take my measurements either, a few days later the new shirt comes. This one i can barely squeeze on. I have to unbutton most of the buttons when sitting, or they will break for sure. When reaching up high you can see my entire stomach.

I, being a considerate as fuck human bean, realize that perhaps our customers don't wanna see this little 17 year old kid, showing us his full chest every time we enter the store. I am also terrified of breaking the shirt, it being my first ever work experience, I wanted to make a damn good impression.

So, I wear it that day (the day hes off) and do mostly office / back room stuff. I then leave him a note (i'm off the next day, hes on) and leave the shirt behind saying it doesn't fit, I can use one of my own blue shirts, its fine - or he can just take my measurements. I be really fucking nice about it.

Anyways, I come in ready to work and the first thing he says is "wheres your shirt?" and I tell him about the note, hes visibly pissed off, tells me to go put it on. I basically tell him no, that i can work fine (and have done for now 5 weeks) without the logo on my shirt. I'm leaving in 3 weeks, I don't want to break his uniform, or reveal myself to customers. Its fucked up.

Guy tells me put it on or leave, so I walked out.

This was my first experience with work ever, and it left a really bad taste in my mouth. I no joke almost slipped into depression and still get angry just thinking about this experience (now 22, was 17 then). I ended finishing my work experience at Oxfam, which was a nice experience, and volunteered there for another 3 months.

The guys i was doing the work experience with were at least understanding. He threw me out on Friday, so i had to wait until Monday to call them, and they were pretty understanding. Apparently they had dealings with him in the past (which begs the question, why send more people there?) You see, the program i was on is (was, now shutdown) called WADE training. They basically pay you Jobseekers + £15 a week for 8 weeks and give you a placement in a shop. It gets you experience that you can put on your C.V.

Now heres the corrupt part - the store owner during that time, gets I believe it was £1,000 for taking in a guy for 8 weeks. You can probably see where this is going. Entire stores in my town are entirely manned by a single paid manager, and 8-10 people on WADE or another program. They have zero job stability. A person on job seekers gets £57 a week. A person doing 40 hours a week on a placement gets an extra £15 a week. Thats something like 50p / hour, 40 hours a week. Its borderline slave labour, and extremely corrupt. Rather than employ anyone at the end of their term (which is the 'hope' at the start of the 8 weeks) they instead kick you out, and get in a new one.

Do you want an actual employee that you have to pay, or a new one every 8 weeks, and an extra £1000 every 2 months?

But, yeah, thats in the past now. I'm still angry as fuck about it though..

Maybe a little bit. I was working at Target as a cashier/cart attendant. One rainy night they had me doing carts all by myself. It was raining hard as hell the entire time, and the rain never gave me a break. The managers there gave me a poncho, but they would only let me use the cheapest poncho they had on the shelf. I'm pretty sure I ended up ripping it accidentally and by the end of the night I was just soaked. It was a pretty miserable night for me. On my way out one of the managers sees me and asks if I had a nice swim. I've always had an issue with the managers not giving a shit about employees, so after sleeping on her comment for a night I called in the next day and quit 15 minutes before my shift. It mighta been kinda petty, but she pissed me the fuck off.

I quit another job at a pizza place after it was sold to new owners. When the original owner was there this place was one of the best jobs I ever had. I was making about $500 a week delivering pizzas and had a really good boss with some good people to work with it. Then one day everybody that worked there walked in the door and the original owner introduced us to the new owners, these 2 italian dudes. These dudes were real italians, like just barely been in America for 5 minutes. They didn't know very much english and they were gross as hell. They would sit in the back where the chefs made sandwiches and they'd just be sitting next to the food smoking cigs. Then you'd go to wash dishes and you'd find cigs in the sink. I knew they were gonna stop delivering pizzas and turn it into an italian sit down restaurant, so I just quit coming in. I really didn't want to work for those people and neither did anybody else that was working there when they took over. I was one of the last original people to quit, everybody else had quit and been replaced by more italians.

I've had a few situations that really rubbed me the wrong way with management at a catering company I worked for as a teen and while going to college. Anyone in the catering industry knows the hours are horrible, you work most holidays and weekends, and you very rarely get rewarded for your hard work.

One morning, we were doing a food service for a chicago public school. Roughly ~1200 boxed lunches had to be prepped and ready to go out the door early to arrive for lunch, so we had to get in at 3AM. I was 15 minutes late. My boss (A chronic douchebag in every sense of the word: Was gifted the company straight out of college with NO business or management savvy) asked me why I was 15 minutes late. I told him I was up too late studying (which was very true, I had zero social life while attending college). He proceeds to berate me on the importance of being on time, and asked if I was really interested in making a career out of this job, being a snarky-ass fuckface he tended to be. I flat out told him "No." I saw fire in his eyes. He started screaming at me "We don't need you here, then." And he proceeded to tell me that if I valued my job I better change my attitude. At this point, I was livid, he was livid, and heads were starting to turn around to look at what all the commotion was.

I let a single "Fuck you" slip from my lips, and that was it. I grabbed my stuff and left.

A year and a few months later, I read my boss was under investigation for hiring illegal workers and then forcing them to work overtime without paying them time and a half. A few months after that, they filed for bankruptcy, and he tried starting up a business selling high-end, overpriced fresh-made meals to the ritzier parts of Chicago. That business failed also. While I was sad some of the long-time employees lost their jobs, it was bittersweet in that he tried very hard to run and operate a successful business only to see it fail due to his own arrogance and greed.