Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dvaz View Post
    Okay okay, how about them ladies tho?
    The ladies think they are god given to men. A lot of them are feminists and want to erase our masculinity. But are also very hypocritical. They hate macho men, but on the other side their trousers get wet from extremely macho men like Negan from The Walking Dead.
    They are all dating on the internet (seriously, online dating sites both swedish and non swedish and apps like Tinder/Badoo/Twoo etc are extremely popular here). That means you get to compete with hundreds of other men contacting a woman, men who probably would have no balls to approach her in reality.

Sweden is one big mess barely being kept together. Nazi party is the third biggest party here.
    But hey, you can still come visit Sweden and enjoy the beautiful weath... oh wait.. nevermind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    I think the logical answer to that is the same process in a larger scale would work the same for larger countries.

I'm not really familiar with their system, but burning trash sounds like a bad idea and causes all kinds of health issues.
    I'm more interested in the cost effectiveness of the system, seeing as they do gain energy from it.
    Instead of driving it to a dump, it's taken to a plant where it's burned. Not much different in cost, just drive somewhere else.

That said,I don't personally know how they treat the fumes. Though I do know that there can be a lot of filters for that stuff to collect the bad stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    The ladies think they are god given to men. A lot of them are feminists and want to erase our masculinity. But are also very hypocritical. They hate macho men, but on the other side their trousers get wet from extremely macho men like Negan from The Walking Dead.
    They are all dating on the internet (seriously, online dating sites both swedish and non swedish and apps like Tinder/Badoo/Twoo etc are extremely popular here). That means you get to compete with hundreds of other men contacting a woman, men who probably would have no balls to approach her in reality.

Sweden is one big mess barely being kept together. Nazi party is the third biggest party here.
    But hey, you can still come visit Sweden and enjoy the beautiful weath... oh wait.. nevermind.
    Holy hyperbolic bullshit Batman!
    Wake up and smell the flowers, negative Nancy!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I already knew all that. I was taking issue with you not understanding what the original comment was regarding. And then not understanding what kind of energy was being discussed(thinking it meant human energy and not electricity). Get it?
    Most if not all apartment buildings have a small house outside them where you can sort plastics, paper, carton, burnables, batteries and metal. It takes no effort to do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    OP is Tennisace alt account!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Ok, the human energy is relative low, In Sweden you separating waste using different trash cans. Older kitchens have problems because they are not made for 3 trash cans. It very common to have a cental point (within short walking distance) there different large trash cans is set up for different materials ther you emptying your private trash cans.
    I think there's an EU mechanism that gives funding for sorting waste like that as the same idea has spread in the UK too. the downside is that people have a handful of bins taking up space in their gardens.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    It helps to actually read the article. They recycle what they can (which usually isn't that much besides electronics, glass and metal) and burn the rest. If your commune/country operates on semi-modern standards then they will probably do the same already. If your country is still using massive landfills for more than 10% of your waste then they are about 3 decades behind. What this screams to me is that sweden build too much garbage disposal capacity and made a buisness out of it by burning others people garbage - after rather enviromentally unfriendly shipping it around the place a bit. Heck even the article mentions that they could be recycling paper a lot more, but they just burn it. Hailing it as the most efficient is a bit misleading..
    In Britain there's a curious trend of these recycling centres going up in flames on a regular basis.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-36157454

Umm.. they usually just work like any old power plant that operates on coal.. not sure how they manage to burn them down in britain. I mean an incinerator is usually build to not burn itself..

Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    But.. What about the carbon emissions from burning all that trash?
    Only condensed water is released from the plants.

- - - Updated - - -

Electricity is really cheap in Sweden, so i can't complain. And we've got no coal mines.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    They probably burn a lot of energy to recycle that trash.
    Yeah and what about all the CO2 they release into the air from burning all that trash?? And what do they do with all the ash and soot?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Umm.. they usually just work like any old power plant that operates on coal.. not sure how they manage to burn them down in britain. I mean an incinerator is usually build to not burn itself..
    Let me give you a hint.

Fleetwood Recycling Centre Fire “Likely Arson”CIWM Journal Online
    http://www.ciwm-journal.co.uk/fleetw...-likely-arson/ - Cached
    18 Apr 2016 ... A fire involving 3000 tonnes of baled plastic waste was likely started by deliberately, Lancashire Fire and Rescue has said.
    Large fire at wax recycling plant | News | Materials Recycling World
    https://www.mrw.co.uk/latest/large-f...011946.article
    20 Sep 2016 ... A large fire at a wax recycling plant in Worcestershire has been ... south Wales which the site's owner says may have been started deliberately.
    'Arson' at Welsh recycling plant | News | Materials Recycling World
    https://www.mrw.co.uk/latest/arson-a...009728.article
    11 Aug 2016 ... Firefighters have tackled a large fire at a recyclables storage facility in south Wales which the site's owner says may have been started deliberately. The fire at GLJ Recycling's plant on Newtown Industrial Estate in Crosskeys ...
    Recycling plant fire believed to be arson - Signal 2
    http://www.signal2.co.uk/news/.../re...d-to-be-arson/ - Cached
    21 Oct 2013 ... Fire bosses say they believe a blaze at a Stoke on Trent recycling plant was started deliberately.
    Fire at Cardiff recycling plant being treated as arson - Wales Online
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/.....-being-6997897 - Similar
    16 Apr 2014 ... An arson investigation has been launched after it was confirmed a fire at a recycling plant on the outskirts of Cardiff was started deliberately.
    Salford recycling plant fire: Police treating blaze as arson ...
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....police-9136643 - Similar
    28 Apr 2015 ... Fire at recycling plant - Frederick Road, Salford ... person has broken into the compound before deliberately setting fire to waste inside a shed.
    Arson suspected in Padiham recycling plant blaze - BBC News
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-23446065 - Cached
    25 Jul 2013 ... A fire which sent a huge plume of thick black smoke from a recycling plant in Lancashire was probably caused deliberately, the fire service said.
    Tamworth plastics plant fire 'deliberate' - BBC News
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-25061280 - Cached
    22 Nov 2013 ... An arson investigation is opened into a fire at a plastics recycling plant in Tamworth.
    Waste fires account for nearly half of all deliberately set fires in mid ...
    resource.co/.../waste-fires-account-nearly-half-all-deliberately-set-fires-mid-wales-10140 - Cached - Similar

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tupimus View Post
    What's more surprising is that this isn't more commonplace around the world. Reasonable incineration facilities can be built with a minimum of cost alongside nearly any other kind of power plant to supplement power for restarting the reaction if needed, and they already are a net positive of energy run with predating technology.
    Except it doesnt work in large countries like the US where the population is well spread out unless youre going to spend trillions of dollars building incinerators in a bunch of towns that only have 200 residents or force them to drive their trash 250 miles to a big city every week

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    What would you suggest else to do with it, if you can't recycle it? You have heard of the waste management pyramid right? I hope you don't intend on landfilling it instead.
    Why not?? We have millions of aces of unpopulated land that we could use as landfills

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Yeah and what about all the CO2 they release into the air from burning all that trash?? And what do they do with all the ash and soot?
    You didnt read the article right? Please do before talking about things being said in the article linked by the OP.

Deleted
    In some countries they refuse to build more incinerators because they pollute, and they mail the garbage to Sweden to be handled.

It might be efficient, but they're importing pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    In some countries they refuse to build more incinerators because they pollute, and they mail the garbage to Sweden to be handled.

It might be efficient, but they're importing pollution.
    Interestingly enough. Sweden has one of the lowest CO2 pollution in the world. So.. What was your point again?

https://data.oecd.org/air/air-and-ghg-emissions.htm

Oh US at 3rd highest in the OECD. Shocking
    Last edited by Krille; 2016-12-11 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    I guess you're new to Orlong. He never knows what he's talking about.
    I know he's talking out of his ass 99% of the time. Which is why i'm asking him if he even read the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    A lot of those points are bullshit.
    I go to a doctor and they treat me for free, then a week later an invoice finds it's way to my mailbox.
    University is "free". Not. Sure we get about €350/month, but we have to buy the books. And with that low income you must live with your parents, or take a loan. Which you have to pay back.
    Maybe equal standard to US, but what cost $700 in the US, cost $900 in Sweden because taxes.
    People always assume the grass is greener on the other side.
    There is a low cost associated with medical services, which caps out very quickly. The maximum amount you can possibly pay per year is very low.
    There is no university tuition, so It's free. What you are complaining about is life expenses. Which the government helps you with, a monthly allowance and a loan which has so ridiculously favorable interest for you that it's actually worth it to take the full loan (even if you don't need it) and save in the bank. It's very possible to live off of this if you work a month or two during the summer. You absolutely do not need to live with your parents to go to university. Although if you can bear it, it's actually a financially sound idea to do so and take the full student loan and save it. You won't get a better loan anywhere else than the student loan.
    Last edited by Bender; 2016-12-11 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    There is a low cost associated with medical services, which caps out very quickly. The maximum amount you can possibly pay per year is very low.
    There is no university tuition, so It's free. What you are complaining about is life expenses. Which the government helps you with, a monthly allowance and a loan which has so ridiculously favorable interest for you that it's actually worth it to take the full loan (even if you don't need it) and save in the bank. It's very possible to live off of this if you work a month or two during the summer. You absolutely do not need to live with your parents to go to university. Although if you can bear it, it's actually a financially sound idea to do so and take the full student loan and save it. You won't get a better loan anywhere else than the student loan.
    Imagine complaining about getting "free" university + 350 dollars a month for studying, without doing anything extra. And then you can take a 0.1% interest loan of 600 dollars extra per month. What a tough life. And yes, maybe he doesnt know, but the cost caps out at 100 dollars per 12 months. So if you spend more than 100 dollars a year you get all meds for free. What a fucking whiner honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    It is always the cop out for right wingers to not do the right thing since they always use it as the cop out forgetting simple math. It is like they always paint themself into a corner and go oh this recipe for cookies only makes 24 cookies i can clearly not use it make 240 cookies it clearly cant work when you need 240 cookies they just dont understand the concept of scaling up the recipe so you can make 240 cookies or 2400 cookies or 24000 cookies same goes for all the other issues they say cant be done in the USA due to we are to big nonsense excuse
    I could make a batch of 24 cookies in my kitchen with my oven.
    I could, alone and within a similar time span, make 4 such batches. (so already, we see that this recipe did not scale linearly, but moving on...)
    But could I make 8 such batches under those conditions? No.
    If I had a second oven and person helping? Then yes.
    My kitchen isn't that big though, so even with a third oven/person, I probably could not handle 12 batches in one "cookie making shift". We would need another kitchen altogether at that point.
    What about storage? a couple batches could be served on plates, a couple dozen batches might need a different solution. A couple thousand batches is going to require more then just stacking Tupperware containers on the table.
    What about the ingredients? At some point I can start buying in bulk, so the price is going to change.
    What about logistical concerns? Eventually you'll be dealing with so many people, so many locations, so many ingredients, and so many cookies, that you'll need someone who's job it is just to organize these things.
    Have you considered a factory for your cookie production needs? When the numbers get high enough, you might consider a fundamentally different approach to making that recipe.

So that original 24 cookie recipe, taking everything into consideration, did not scale linearly. Some elements of it did. But overall, there were some elements that changed, and new elements that arose.
    To say 24000 cookies equals 24 x 1000 is technically correct, but it isn't taking everything into consideration. It's overly simplistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    I could make a batch of 24 cookies in my kitchen with my oven.
    I could, alone and within a similar time span, make 4 such batches. (so already, we see that this recipe did not scale linearly, but moving on...)
    But could I make 8 such batches under those conditions? No.
    If I had a second oven and person helping? Then yes.
    My kitchen isn't that big though, so even with a third oven/person, I probably could not handle 12 batches in one "cookie making shift". We would need another kitchen altogether at that point.
    What about storage? a couple batches could be served on plates, a couple dozen batches might need a different solution. A couple thousand batches is going to require more then just stacking Tupperware containers on the table.
    What about the ingredients? At some point I can start buying in bulk, so the price is going to change.
    What about logistical concerns? Eventually you'll be dealing with so many people, so many locations, so many ingredients, and so many cookies, that you'll need someone who's job it is just to organize these things.
    Have you considered a factory for your cookie production needs? When the numbers get high enough, you might consider a fundamentally different approach to making that recipe.

So that original 24 cookie recipe, taking everything into consideration, did not scale linearly. Some elements of it did. But overall, there were some elements that changed, and new elements that arose.
    To say 24000 cookies equals 24 x 1000 is technically correct, but it isn't taking everything into consideration. It's overly simplistic.
    Casually ignoring the fact that as the demand increase so does your workforce. So you'd have more factories and more people helping you. You wont do it alone.

And yet our politicians act as if Swedes are the biggest killers of the environment in the entire world. Guess Miljöpartiet just grasps for straws to stay relevant...

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    And yet our politicians act as if Swedes are the biggest killers of the environment in the entire world. Guess Miljöpartiet just grasps for straws to stay relevant...
    Miljöpartiet is a joke. And they will always be because their politicians are so detached from reality is sickening.

Quote Originally Posted by victork8 View Post
    Miljöpartiet is a joke. And they will always be because their politicians are so detached from reality is sickening.
    probably the only extremist party in Sweden with the left party close second^^