Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
    A lot of those points are bullshit.
    I go to a doctor and they treat me for free, then a week later an invoice finds it's way to my mailbox.
    University is "free". Not. Sure we get about €350/month, but we have to buy the books. And with that low income you must live with your parents, or take a loan. Which you have to pay back.
    Maybe equal standard to US, but what cost $700 in the US, cost $900 in Sweden because taxes.
    People always assume the grass is greener on the other side.
    Note: After writing this I noticed that it has nothing to do with the topic itself, but I felt that I’m posting it anyways.

I study master of science, computer science at a university in Sweden. I don't want to go into the whole, “what country is the best discussion”, but when it comes to the cost of education you can't even compare US to Sweden.

In Sweden, as you probably know, we have something called CSN. They give me, for free, 291 euro each month as long as I'm studying. Because I moved out from my parents at the age of 18 to study in another city the free 300 euro each month is not enough and I have to take a student loan from CSN. This loan has a interest of 0.34 percent starting 2017, which to be honest is next to nothing. It's the cheapest loan you will take, ever. Hell, if you live at home you can take the loan, invest it smart, use the return to pay the interest and actually make money of the loan.

As in books and literature. Yes, you might have to buy books. What I do, if I actually buy a book, is to just sell it to next year's students early with little to no loss.

The grass might not always be greener on the other side, but when you can move away from home at the age of 18 and live alone in a new city without getting any money from your parents and the only requirement is that you actually study? Yeah, that grass is pretty green.

Worth noting is that I have no information about how you get money to your studies in the US, but I know that tuition fees is a lot higher than a book cost is here in Sweden.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    In some countries they refuse to build more incinerators because they pollute, and they mail the garbage to Sweden to be handled.

It might be efficient, but they're importing pollution.
    Hence flue gas cleaning on the Swedich plants, if the material is purely what is shall be, like no quicksilver or battery there are practically no emissions besides carbonoxide.

In yours "some countries" they have probebly no flue gas cleaning and burning all crazy hazardous materials in there. But be calm, we are accustomed to import a large amount of environmental pollutants from factories and power plants from Great Britain and Danmark thanks to the westerly winds, but to Great Britain and Danmark defence they have improved themself enormously compared with the acid rain was as worst.

Quote Originally Posted by victork8 View Post
    Casually ignoring the fact that as the demand increase so does your workforce. So you'd have more factories and more people helping you. You wont do it alone.
    I didn't ignore anything. I took the example they provided, and used it to show how things can change as numbers increase. That original 24 cookies recipe had elements that did not scale linearly, or that could optionally be changed at higher volumes.
    In fact, if you bothered to read my post, you'd see that workforce was one of the first things I took into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    You guys keep this shit up and we'll all die a fiery, trashy death when that trash ball swings back around in a thousand years.

Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    I didn't ignore anything. I took the example they provided, and used it to show how things can change as numbers increase. That original 24 cookies recipe had elements that did not scale linearly, or that could optionally be changed at higher volumes.
    In fact, if you bothered to read my post, you'd see that workforce was one of the first things I took into consideration.
    Well if you did, then you're just stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by slaise1 View Post
    probably the only extremist party in Sweden with the left party close second^^
    Feministiskt initiativ? Pretty much the biggest extremist party.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Yeah and what about all the CO2 they release into the air from burning all that trash?? And what do they do with all the ash and soot?
    If you do not burn the material, it start to rot in the landfill, yes even plastic "rot" and decompose but it take a long time but the CO2 will be released. Efficient combustion give almost no soot. The ash is use as filling materials.

On old style city dumps, they use pipelines to extract "rotgas" (Biogas) for power generation or heat.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by victork8 View Post
    Imagine complaining about getting "free" university + 350 dollars a month for studying, without doing anything extra. And then you can take a 0.1% interest loan of 600 dollars extra per month. What a tough life. And yes, maybe he doesnt know, but the cost caps out at 100 dollars per 12 months. So if you spend more than 100 dollars a year you get all meds for free. What a fucking whiner honestly.
    Oh please take your bias somewhere else.
    I'd rather pay for high quality education than be given poor quality "free" education. Swedish students are not in high regard anywhere except perhaps 3rd world countries with even poorer education (read Africa) and swedish PISA test results keep falling year after year.

Deleted
    I'd rather pay for high quality education than be given poor quality "free" education. Swedish students are not in high regard anywhere except perhaps 3rd world countries with even poorer education (read Africa) and swedish PISA test results keep falling year after year.
    You are now comparing tertiary education with primary education.

Not keeping up with the news I see:

PISA 2015 scores for the US vs Sweden from http://www.oecd.org/pisa/pisa-2015-United-States.pdf http://www.oecd.org/pisa/pisa-2015-Sweden.pdf
    Science: 496 (-1) 493 (+9)
    Math: 470 (-11) 494(+16)
    Reading: 497 (-1) 500 (+17)

After years of declining performance, Sweden is now showing first improvements. Student performance has improved significantly in mathematics and reading, and a declining trend has been reversed in science. The results are now at or above the OECD average in all three subjects.

There are signs of growing inequalities in the distribution of learning outcomes in Sweden.

The share of 15-year-old students in Sweden who are enrolled in private schools more than doubled from 8% in 2006 to 18% in 2015. Yet after accounting for the socioeconomic profile of students and schools, students in public schools show better results than students in private schools.

That sounds amazing. I know Sweden probably isn't quite the utopia that everyone makes it out to be, but I'd love to visit one day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    That sounds amazing. I know Sweden probably isn't quite the utopia that everyone makes it out to be, but I'd love to visit one day.
    We have its so good that we have time and energy to overindulge in every small error and complaining loudly over them But what (false) utopian vision do peopel have of Sweden?

The main problem what I see is that the school was privatized and profit is allowed, now unserious schools for profit pops up and take ut huge profit, the pupils do not make the acceptable level of knowledge, after some time school inspection withdraw their license and the school closed down, but the owners have make a big profit and the pupils have lost a year or two, if it hapen in elementary school it can make permanet damage.

The worst it have created good schools and bad schools, parents who care moves there kids to a good schools, hence the good schools get a higher % of good pupils and the bad get a higher % of weak pupils, hence it become a self-guided process. Normaly the schools have a number of specialty teacher who helpe pupils who are weak and relieve the ordinary teacher, but a bad school have a higher % of weak pupils who need extra helpe and that overwelm the specialty teacher.
    Last edited by mmoc957ac7b970; 2016-12-11 at 09:42 PM.

Deleted
    It's hard to disagree with that...

because what you just said is *so* stupid and wrong, so in a sense... it must be true.

Your view of the highly educated Swede is slightly distorted (read: completely insane and not in line with reality). Sure we can't compete with the US schools reputation. But Uppsala University and Karolinska Institutet are both frequently in the top 100 universities in the world. Maybe not always as a unit, for instance Uppsalas trademark is medicine/pharmaceutical sciences.

PISA tests are conducted on lower levels of school, not University. Don't be daft.