10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Children’s characters to be banned from unhealthy food packaging in Netherlands

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7465361.html

The Dutch food industry has voluntarily decided to remove popular children’s characters from the packaging of unhealthy foods in a bid to curb obesity.

The decision, which is the first of its kind in Europe, will mean characters including Dora the Explorer, Disney’s Frozen heroines and Miffy the rabbit, are to be banished from food and drinks high in fat, salt or sugar which are targeted at children.

The Dutch Food Industry Federation (FNLI) made the voluntary announcement to “restrict media characters” as part of a drive to reduce the level of food advertising directly aimed at children and promote healthier lifestyles.
    Read more

Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf said: “These products are placed on shelves at children’s eye level and are often unhealthy, containing too much salt, sugar or fats.”

The FNLI said: “FNLI continues to emphasise that obesity is a problem ... A complex problem that can only be overcome through the use of measures and interventions on a broad front, aimed at increasing knowledge about nutrition, a healthy diet and more exercise.”

The Dutch government has welcomed the move.

“The Ministry of Health in the Netherlands policy supports this approach fully,” the department said. “The industry therefore remains resolutely committed to programs like JOGG, food education, healthy sports and school canteens, etc. but also for the promotion of literacy in order to identify good commercial manifestations.”

The decision in the Netherlands follows a UK ban on advertising unhealthy foods to children in the media, including on the internet.

The Independent contacted the UK’s Food and Drink Federation (FDF) about the Dutch food industry’s decision.

An FDF spokesperson said: “Food and drink manufacturers recognise the responsibility they have in helping to tackle the obesity crisis that many countries across the world currently face. Different countries are looking at what impact different activities may have and are working towards solutions.

“Here in the UK for example the Food and Drink Federation fully supports the landmark move by the Committee of Advertising Practise (CAP) this week, which will end the advertising of foods and drinks high in fat, sugar or salt (HFSS) in media targeted at children, including online. Last year, we announced our backing for these major changes, based on our belief that non-broadcasting advertising rules should be in line with the strict rules already in place for TV.”

Pretty cool!

I personally intend to limit how much tv my kids (if I have any) watch but it certainly is common these days to just sit your kid in front of television as a form of babysitting.

I fear these changes are not enough. It will be a long time before the majority of the world embraces a change like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    my kids (if I have any)
    don't worry that'll never happen.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    We all know how fucked up the Netherlands is when it comes to their priorities, so this won't last long.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7465361.html

Pretty cool!

I personally intend to limit how much tv my kids (if I have any) watch but it certainly is common these days to just sit your kid in front of television as a form of babysitting.

I fear these changes are not enough. It will be a long time before the majority of the world embraces a change like this.
    Well I worry for your kids if all it takes is the Trix Rabbit, Captain Crunch, or Anna and Elsa to dictate what you feed your (possible) kids...

It honestly shouldn't matter who or what is one someones cereal box or sugary drink if the parents are doing their job. It's their job to say no, not to keep their kids happy...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    don't worry that'll never happen.
    That's a really mean thing to say. You need to be more thoughtful and considerate towards your fellow posters.

15+ Year Old Account
    My wife and I were just talking about this during dinner (though regarding the US). I think this would be a good thing to adopt here too. I'm not saying to get rid of junk food. Just to stop with the advertising to children on the packaging.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    This seems rather pointless, but as it's voluntary I'm not inclined to care much.
    Better to try something than try nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    Well I worry for your kids if all it takes is the Trix Rabbit, Captain Crunch, or Anna and Elsa to dictate what you feed your (possible) kids...

It honestly shouldn't matter who or what is one someones cereal box or sugary drink if the parents are doing their job. It's their job to say no, not to keep their kids happy...
    {THIS} It's not the companies responsibility to police what you buy for your kids. Even sugar can be ok in moderation.

Deleted
    Is there a reason why this bot is allowed to just link random things 10 times a day?
    I personally intend to limit how much tv my kids (if I have any) watch
    The irony being that Tennisace sits 14 hours a day on random websites to post about on MMO-Champion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    Is there a reason why this bot is allowed to just link random things 10 times a day?

The irony being that Tennisace sits 14 hours a day on random websites to post about on MMO-Champion.
    I've only made 2 threads today. I've barely posted as well. Go check my post times.

I also don't appreciate your slander.

How about you guys actually stick to the topic surrounding the thread instead of attacking the OP. Kind of annoying seeing posters who can't post constructively. If you don't agree, but can't post concerning the actual topic just read and move along.

Deleted
    I've only made 2 threads today. I've barely posted as well. Go check my post times.

It's a good thing i don't care what you think then, the spam is getting out of hand

7+ Year Old Account
    It will be a long time before the majority of the world embraces a change like this.
    I hope it's a long time before the world embraces this level of stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Not always. In particular, this is kind of dumb because 1) kids care about taste more than stupid cartoon characters and 2) their parents control what gets bought anyway.
    Careful. Logic confuses him.