Thread: Tanking Help

Tanking Help

I have been tanking most of legion. I feel like my Blood DK just take so much damage compared to other tanks. I understand we are designed to take more then heal it back up through DS but I am taking like 50% more straight melee damage then my DH Co-tank. What am I doing wrong? I know there is a gear difference but I dont feel like it is THAT substantial. Here are my Logs take a look and tell me what you guys think. I am open to any criticisms and critiques.
    Be brutal if you must. I wanna fix my issues. Thanks!

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...e=damage-taken

First, you're routinely casting Marrowrend and 7, 8, or 9 stacks of Bone Shield. This is both a DPS and survivability loss. This is a rather large problem for you, not only in terms of frequency, but since you have the legendary waist you really need to maximize the number of Heart Strikes you can cast.
    Second, your Death and Decay uptime was hovering around 50%. That's a bit low, and also a DPS and survivability loss. A couple times you sat on Crimson Scourge procs for 10 seconds.
    Third, you're capping on Blood Boil charges relatively frequently. When Guarm is doing his charge, you can still tag him with Blood Boil as he runs by without getting hit.
    Fourth, your death strike timing is sometimes off. Since it's working off a 5 second window, you ideally want to time Death Strike immediately after a hit, but often times you use it immediately before, wasting a bit of its potential--although granted, it probably doesn't make a huge difference, because you're doing normal.

Those are the four things that are relatively easy to fix, but the first is super important. Your DPS is very low, and making sure that you're not over-casting Marrowrends will fix both that and your RP starvation.

Deleted
    What Philondra said is all correct, all I can add to that is that you seem to be capping your RP from time to time, which you shouldn't be doing unless there is a massive amount of damage incoming, as Philondra said try to death strike after you take the damage but don't be afraid to death strike two times one after another. Also death knights take more damage than other tanks so you should rather look at the external healing required instead of the damage taken ( https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ue&options=130 ). That shows you that you aren't requiring that much more attention from your healers, still you should try to improve on the things that have been mentioned.

So you guys are saying that it is more about increasing the healing I am doing than any direct mitigation. I guess that does make sense the way DKs work. Thanks guys!

I'd like to note it's perfectly fine to cast MarrowRend at 7+ stack if you have too much runes. Crimson scourge proc + 3 hearthstrike + DeathStrike = a lot of GCDs, which means you won't be able to spend the rest of the runes quickly enough. I believe it's more important to spend the runes than capping boneshield stacks.