Poll: How important is replayability?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

How important is replayability to you?

I often see reviews giving a score for replayability and factoring that in to the final score by a huge degree. And I'll be honest - I don't get it.
    Replayability factors in to my enjoyment of a game exactly 0%. I don't care in the slightest.

In my opinion a game does not have to be replayable at all, not even once. I don't even know why I would want to play the same game twice. I have so, so many games I haven't played yet - why would I play the same one again and spend my time with something I already know when I can experience a new one?
    When I'm done with a game, I am done with the game. I certainly won't start it up again when there's hundreds of unplayed games in my shelf.

It's the same with movies. I constantly see people lowering their score on repeated viewings - but why? Most movies are made with the idea that you don't know them yet. Things that surprised you the first time are obviously gone if you watch it again. I find it to be ridiculous to lower your score because of that.

What do you think about this?

It depends entirely on the game.

Something like to the moon by design effectively has zero replayability yet it is just clever.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

These days I mostly play single-player games with great stories. (Tomb Raider, The Last of Us, Red Dead, Far Cry-although the stories aren't as strong in that series, etc.) So I'm more concerned about gameplay and a great story than replayability; I don't usually have the time or inclination to play most of these games multiple times since the story is the draw and once I've seen it, I've seen it. So I guess it's nice but it's certainly not mandatory for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty high up there.

While I really enjoy Uncharted/Last of Us types of games with great stories... I don't really enjoy paying $60 for a game with a ten hour story that I will play once or twice when I pay the exact same amount for games like Skyrim and play them for hundreds of hours.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Pretty high up there.

While I really enjoy Uncharted/Last of Us types of games with great stories... I don't really enjoy paying $60 for a game with a ten hour story that I will play once or twice when I pay the exact same amount for games like Skyrim and play them for hundreds of hours.
    Hundreds? PFFT! My Skyrim play time is over 2000 hours. Get on my level, scrub!

But seriously, I value replayability pretty dang high. There was a time I could play linear games like HL2 over and over, but those days are gone. These days I need something more open, something that will allow me to be something different each time I make a new character. Which is why games like Skyrim appeal to me.

Desirable, but not entirely mandatory.

Depends on the game.

A JRPG that's 80 hours long already? Not too important.

But then there's games like Mario I would consider replayability a big factor, because I want there to be stages that were so fun to play that I'd want to go back to.

I voted 'nice to have'.

Single player games I expect no replayability whatsoever. But I have played some multiple times just on the merit of how good the game is. Super Mario World, FF7, Metal Gear Solid, etc.

PVP multiplayer games almost have replayability baked in.

PVE multiplayer, or MMOs, especially subscription based MMOs, NEED replayability. While I can gladly judge an MMO based on the box price, if they are asking me to pay $15/mo afterwards and it has no replayability, then that would be a huge important factor in deciding whether or not it's worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    The way i look at this is that outside of games purely based on replayability (like binding of isaac) the case is simple - if the game is good it will be replayable.

On the other hand i hate when games *force* replayability (aka finish it on new game + for true ending).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    The way i look at this is that outside of games purely based on replayability (like binding of isaac) the case is simple - if the game is good it will be replayable.

On the other hand i hate when games *force* replayability (aka finish it on new game + for true ending).
    Like Ghosts n' Goblins did back in the days.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Games like Binding of Isaac, replayability is obviously a major feature so it's ability to be replayable is incredibly important.

Games like Total War, Warhammer has made the factions pretty unique which has helped replayability and made it my favourite in the franchise, whilst it's previous iterations like Shogun 2 it was mainly just me enjoying the gameplay that kept me replaying.

Story based games like Witcher 3, Skyrim I'll probably only get to play them through once due to time constraints so replayability is a non factor for me.

To sum it up...depends on the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends a LOT on the game.

If it's a short game, with little to keep me locked down to one playthrough: Replayability is SUPER important.

However... If there's enough to do that I can keep playing the same game for a while, then it becomes less important, the more time you can invest into each playthrough.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

As others have said, depends on the game. If a game is heavily story driven, and is doing that well, I am perfectly fine with paying 60 bucks for a 10 hour game. Of course I also like games like Skyrim which is made to be played several times, but is more quantity over quality.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I just finished Borderlands 1 and really felt no need to play it again on another character. Fun . . . but not fun enough (and tbf, opening the vault was rather disappointing.) In a sense, that makes it a let down, because there are three other characters I could play the game on (I was Lillith.)

Mass Effect, I've played multiple times because there are different ways to play it (even though the end does end up being pretty much the same either way.) What happens if I spare Mordin? What happens if I shoot Mordin? Should I support the Geth? Should I support the Quarians? Should I support both? Skyrim I can replay because I love the game. There's just so many different ways to fuck around in Skyrim.

But it's also not always necessary. Like I don't feel like the new Tomb Raiders need to be replayed. They were wonderful games, both of them (though the first one got a bit stupid sometimes with QTEs) but there's no reason to play them again. Which isn't really a mark against them.
    Putin khuliyo

"Just to repeat what most have said"

It depends the game....
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

personal taste?
    for me a thing is good when i like it the first, the second, the tenth time i re-watch/play/read. otherwise is a meh thing.
    for example, i dont know how many times i read dragon ball or watch fear and loathing in las vegas, but i like them every single time, they are masterpieces for me.
    in the contrary, i watched breaking bad or read raimbow of kazikazi. i even like it. but i wont never rewatch/read them, all the "good" was in the twists, i fell like my money were wasted...

I don't care about replaying the game, but after the main story ends I expect there to be side quests or other shit to do.

Not too important in games that are strictly linear or structured around a campaign or closed narrative. E.g. Mass Effect, Witcher 3, etc.

Very important in games that seek to feature complex mechanics or continual character growth. E.g. Path of Exile, World of Warcraft, etc.

It's something I consider when I'm potentially buying a video game.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

games that are story-driven single players, i dont need replayability. Like Tomb Raider or Uncharted or Last of Us. Multi-player obviously needs it
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements