Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why are people so focused on "god" when they're termanilly ill?

I just want to start off by saying that whatever you believe in, more power to you.

But... Why are people generally focused on god when they're terminally ill? I just don't get it. Even if you're not terminally ill, but are dying from whatver circumstance, why do you pray? Is it because it brings you comfort? I'm trying more to understand this because while I do believe in a "god" I don't believe you'll be saved by "god" when you've been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Video that urged me to make this thread is this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn16Sf0sI3g.

I know this is a touchy subject, so let's do our best to NOT get this thread closed.

I just want to reiterate... I want opinions. I could care less of your religion etc.

This thread is about WHAT PEOPLE DO WHEN THEY KNOW THEY ARE DYING, It seems the MAJORITY OF PEOPLE who are dying turn to a higher power, whatever that may be. This thread is NOT ABOUT A SPECIFIC RELIGION. It just seems as though in my life, MANY PEOPLE turn to "god" or something etc.. when they know they'll die. Why?
    Last edited by Laqweeta; 2016-12-11 at 02:48 PM.

Desperation...

10+ Year Old Account
    Because they have nothing else to turn to. It's just a small comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Desperation...
    The video that urged me to make this thread is this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn16Sf0sI3g. Like... I don't even know what to say :l

Probably for comfort. It's easier to accept death when you think you're going to a better place, not just going into a hole in the ground.

Deleted
    cause people usually come aboard the religion train when they can reap the perceived benefits with none of the ascetism expectations

religion thread lol RIP

Deleted
    Desperation indeed. Most people faced with imminent death are willing to try anything to save their lives, or at least their souls, even if they previously haven't believed in it.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's comfort during human suffering.

The whole withering away and dying thing is easier to handle if you think there's an afterlife.

Or when you're watching someone die, the idea that this isn't the end is more comforting.

There's nothing to understand. It's something you need to experience yourself.

This thread is against the forum rules OP. Religion threads dont end well on MMO Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    This thread is against the forum rules OP. Religion threads dont end well on MMO Champion.
    This isn't about religion though ;3;

Deleted
    because when you believe in God death isn't so scary anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    It is tho.
    I'm sorry if it is, I just want opinions :l

10+ Year Old Account
    Ripperonies to this thread

OT: Because people are superstitious

10+ Year Old Account
    Because nobody want to believe that their life is over. People look forward to something more, a passage to another life, not the end of everything for them.

That's totally normal. Truth be told, we probably have a "safe mode" in our brain, as per the people who went up in a tunnel when in temporary clinical death.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Ripperonies to this thread

OT: Because people are superstitious
    How would you reconstruct this thread for it to not get closed?

10+ Year Old Account
    No idea, but as an atheist I've spent a good many times bent over a toilet saying "oh god " while throwing my guts up.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Because believing in what ever brings people comfort, and as long as it helps them and doesn't hurt anyone else, people should leave it at that.

Militant trenchcoat atheists will storm this thread soon enough.
    Part of the reason why I think they're douchebags.

There was a thread where someone mentioned his mom dying and he showed a slight leaning towards her being with god and happy.

Did the MMOC atheists let that shit fly? No, no they didn't.

And for what, to snatach away one of the comforts a poster had when his fucking mom died.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    How would you reconstruct this thread for it to not get closed?
    Gotta take the religious elements out. I would suggest something more general about how people seem to drastically change when faced with death, some become religious out of no where and much kinder, wanting to forgive others, wanting to live without regrets, while others may choose to isolate themselves from others, become bitter and angry

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    No idea, but as an atheist I've spent a good many times bent over a toilet saying "oh god " while throwing my guts up.
    Porcelain god is true

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Gotta take the religious elements out. I would suggest something more general about how people seem to drastically change when faced with death, some become religious out of no where and much kinder, wanting to forgive others, wanting to live without regrets, while others may choose to isolate themselves from others, become bitter and angry

- - - Updated - - -

Porcelain god is true
    When and If this Thread gets closed, I'll take that and not involve religion into it.