Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mnuchin And Ross On Trump's Economic Plan - Pretty Good Actually. FORBES

Forbes is know as a very astute Economics magazine
    And these two economists Mnuchin & Ross believe Trumpy is heading the right way economicallly.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst.../#7ec8fd147823

Steven Mnuchin and Wilbur Ross were on air this morning talking about President-elect Donald Trump's economic plan. They revealed that they have been, in order, asked to be Treasury and Commerce Secretaries in the next administration. So far so interesting--but what struck was the tenor of their discussion of the incoming Trump economic plan.

There are two ways one can judge such plans--look in detail at the numbers that are on offer and then start to howl about the deficit--or if it's too tight, howl about the austerity that will be inflicted upon the economy. And with the rather debateable math of the Trump economic plan during the election period it's almost possible to do both at the same time. The other way is to recognise that all that was electioneering--we should pay about as much notice to that Hillary's insistence that she would not add one penny to the deficit, something which was nonsense from start to finish. Then, instead, look at the underlying and guiding principles that are being talked about. The math is what gets juggled later to make sure that matters don't go too far on way or the other.

That sounds entirely sensible

Mnuchin: Let me just say our most important priority is to get to sustained economic growth and I think we can absolutely get to sustained 3 to 4% GDP and that is absolutely critical for the country

Sounds GREAT.. Makes me wanna move to USA

Deleted
    He's doing it you guys. Make America great again!

Lets face it President Obama's disdain for the military, and business hasn't done the country any favors.

Once you count military members, DoD employees, contractors, manufacturing jobs that produce primarily for the military and service jobs at military installations, the U.S. military is the largest employer in the country. Most of those till you get to the service jobs are considered good jobs. Obama's and his administration did nothing but cut the military.

His business policies did nothing but hurt every industry but the service industry (lowest paying jobs). So yah employment may be down but the under employed is higher then ever.

It is time that we finally leave this identity politics behind and move forward as a nation, start focusing on the economy, borders, etc etc .. that is a hard pill for the left to swallow though, they are all about feel good politics.
    I am not pro Flight, I am pro a better more engaging game. I just took the pro flight stance cause I knew Blizzard couldn't deliver. Looks like I was right

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    Lets face it President Obama's disdain for the military, and business hasn't done the country any favors.
    The Dow more than doubled under President Obama's 8 years and unemployement almost halved. Yeah, literally the worst president in US history.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    The Dow more than doubled under President Obama's 8 years and unemployement almost halved. Yeah, literally the worst president in US history.
    A mean of ~2% growth over Obama's two terms isn't stellar. For the US, it's practically moribund.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    According to many of the people that agree with this are the same people that would agree that the bump in the stock market after Trump was elected meant that was good for business too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    A mean of ~2% growth over Obama's two terms isn't stellar. For the US, it's practically moribund.
    Considering the worlds economic growth and trying to exit a recession it was just fine.

I can write a masters thesis on why this statement is so incredibly devoid of facts it is laughable. You cannot start paragraph with this then expect anyone to take you seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Considering the worlds economic growth and trying to exit a recession it was just fine.
    The recession was years ago, to the point where we're closer to the next recession than we are to the prior one.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    I can write a masters thesis on why this statement is so incredibly devoid of facts it is laughable.
    But remember conservatives need to tow the company line that only the right likes the military.

The Secretary of Treasury is a billionaire who's been in financing for decades. People say this is a bad thing but I'm not so sure. First, he took a huge cut in pay, he's out a Mount Everest sized pile of money so he took the job for idealistic reasons.

Second, the business world is not going to trick this guy, he knows all the tricks and invented a lot of them. Businesses will say they can't pay the tax because they don't have the money but he'll know exactly how much money they have and that they can pay.

All I'm saying is that it could work out to be a good thing.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    So Trump's friends say Trump is great? I mean sure, I guess?

Once you count military members, DoD employees, contractors, manufacturing jobs that produce primarily for the military and service jobs at military installations, the U.S. military is the largest employer in the country. Most of those till you get to the service jobs are considered good jobs. Obama's and his administration did nothing but cut the military.

His business policies did nothing but hurt every industry but the service industry (lowest paying jobs). So yah employment may be down but the under employed is higher then ever.

It is time that we finally leave this identity politics behind and move forward as a nation, start focusing on the economy, borders, etc etc .. that is a hard pill for the left to swallow though, they are all about feel good politics.
    Ah, America, whew billion dollars jets that don't fly are productive expenses and where people are persuaded that all those SJWs are conspiring against them...

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    And these two economists Mnuchin & Ross believe Trumpy is heading the right way economicallly.
    These aren't economists.

There are two ways one can judge such plans--look in detail at the numbers that are on offer and then start to howl about the deficit--or if it's too tight, howl about the austerity that will be inflicted upon the economy.
    The math is what gets juggled later to make sure that matters don't go too far on way or the other.
    Does the economy really need a fiscal stimulus? I mean investing on infrastructure;sure. But full blownout stimulus with tax cuts and everything? What happens if we really need a stimulus later on, when we are in actual trouble?

The other way is to recognise that all that was electioneering--we should pay about as much notice to that Hillary's insistence that she would not add one penny to the deficit, something which was nonsense from start to finish.
    Why is it worth paying attention to the fact that Hillary promised not to add to the deficit? Even if it's worth noting, she would add less to the deficit than Trump's current plans.

PD: Munchin & Ross aren't economists.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    But remember conservatives need to tow the company line that only the right likes the military.
    As an actual veteran who got out under Bush then tried to get into the VA system under Obama I can promise you there is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    Does the economy really need a fiscal stimulus? I mean investing on infrastructure;sure. But full blownout stimulus with tax cuts and everything? What happens if we really need a stimulus later on, when we are in actual trouble?

Why is it worth paying attention to the fact that Hillary promised not to add to the deficit? Even if it's worth noting, she would add less to the deficit than Trump's current plans.

PD: Munchin & Ross aren't economists.
    Just because it bears repeating: These aren't economists.

You are right. The economy doesn't need stimulus, at all. Stimulus in a climate like this is unproductive and is just going to put money directly into the coffers of people who don't need it. We need restructuring to make sure that when we do need stimulus it will be more effective, but that's HARD and takes WORK.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    As an actual veteran who got out under Bush then tried to get into the VA system under Obama I can promise you there is a difference.
    I'll give you two guesses which party has spent 8 years blocking VA reforms and VA funding.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Two people who self-admitted to possibly being given a cabinet positions positively talking about Trump?

Shocking.

I can't think of a single person he's put as a cabinet member who isn't a sycophant.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2016-12-12 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Two people who self-admitted to possibly being given a cabinet positions positively talking about Trump?

Shocking.

I can't think of a single person he's put as a cabinet member who isn't a sycophant.
    Maybe Mattis?
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Maybe Mattis?
    He might be the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    He might be the only one.
    He's also one of the only people he's chosen so far who is actually qualified for the position... and even then only if you suspend the normal rules about Defense Secretaries being in the military too close to their nomination.
    -ynnady