10+ Year Old Account

Good websites to buy a custom built computer?

Anyone know of any good Canadian ones?

I know about Ibuypower.com but I wonder about taxes at the border.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, with shipping costs on a lot of sites, it may be worth while to go to Canada Computers. That's what I've done in the past. I (in the US) often bring stuff up north to avoid shipping and taxes but that's usually not an option for locals.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    If I am not mistaken, NCIX will build a rig for you. Just another option from Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Honestly, with shipping costs on a lot of sites, it may be worth while to go to Canada Computers. That's what I've done in the past. I (in the US) often bring stuff up north to avoid shipping and taxes but that's usually not an option for locals.
    Canada Computer has some convenient locations. Do they have custom built desktops? I just saw a few Acers and such.

It would be more rewarding to buy the parts and assemble it yourself. It's really not hard to do.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Canada Computer has some convenient locations. Do they have custom built desktops? I just saw a few Acers and such.
    They have prebuilts but you can also just buy all your parts there and build it (or have them do it)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Save money and build it yourself - https://pcpartpicker.com/ (select your country on the top right)

There's plenty of videos online that guide you through the process. It's easy!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    It would be more rewarding to buy the parts and assemble it yourself. It's really not hard to do.
    How much cheaper is it to do that though.

In my experience, a considerable amount. Atleast a couple hundred dollars. I once compared an alienware desktop that MMO-Champ was doing a giveaway on to a custom built one with the same parts - it was nearly a $1000 difference.

How much you decide the convenience of a prebuilt is worth is up to you. For me, it takes roughly 1.5-2 hours to put together my PC (I'm a bit meticulous). Of course you lose out on a full-build warranty building it yourself, but the parts are still under warranty.

Usually you get to choose proper quality components. Pre-builts are known to use cheapest possible options for things like PSU(which should be the highest quality in your build, because if it malfunctions, everything else dies). Along with things like them using non-K Intel CPUs in most case, which doesn't allow overclocking.

You can probably take like $200-300 off a PC's price if you build it yourself.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on what you're comparing it to and what hardware you're buying. Typically can save hundreds easily by doing so. More if you compare to a company like Digital Storm. Difference also being is that you not only get a better balance of hardware based on your needs and budget, but also ensure that you get a better quality motherboard and power supply to reduce the risk of potential failure as prebuilt companies (especially the cheaper ones) will always try to cheap out in departments where specs aren't usually seen as a means to save costs. PSU being the most common.

Those hundreds could easily be put in your pocket or invested into better hardware for the machine. As someone mentioned though if you're really that against it then NCIX will assemble parts you choose for a small fee when buying the parts from them (though limiting yourself to solely their stock you don't end up getting the best prices and biggest selection. It really is better to just do it yourself though. Good learning experience and helps to know what you're dealing with so you could fix your own problems down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    but the parts are still under warranty.
    Which is all you honestly need.Better in my opinion as you don't have to send in the whole rig if something were to fail by chance.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2016-12-12 at 04:34 PM.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

So you would have to pay for the parts but you wouldn't have to pay for the labor to build it. Which I'm assuming is a couple of hundred dollars if you have it done by someone else.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano