Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Terminally ill boy dies in Santa's arms

http://www.bbc.com/news/38293294

A US man who dresses up as Santa Claus fulfilled a dying boy's Christmas wish by visiting him at his bedside, before the youngster passed away in his arms.

Eric Schmitt-Matzen rushed to a local in Tennessee hospital after receiving a call about a terminally ill five-year-old boy who wanted to see Santa Claus.

The 60-year-old impersonator said he gave the child a present and a big hug before holding him as he died.
    The boy's family watched on from the hallway as they cried, he told the BBC.

"When I felt the life go from him, I looked up, tears running down my face, and looked over at the window and that's when mom started screaming," he said.

Mr Schmitt-Matzen said he had asked family members to remain outside the room if they were going to break into tears when he arrived for the visit.

"I have to be the happy guy that makes this kid feel great and smile and forget his worries," he said.
    "I said: 'If you're going to lose it, you have step out in the hallway and afterwards, I'll stand out in the hall and cry with you.'"

The Santa doppelganger, a mechanical engineer and president of Packing Seals & Engineering in Jacksboro, was born on Saint Nicholas Day (6 December) and has played the role professionally for six years.

His wife, Sharon, also dresses up as Mrs Claus.

While some Santas have gone 30 or 40 years without ever paying a death bed visit, Mr Schmitt-Matzen said he has four times.
    "The little guys and girls have a hard time fathoming the whole concept of death, but they know Christmas and they know they have a lot of fun" he said.

"He [the boy in the latest case] was more concerned about missing Christmas than he was about dying. All he knew was he didn't feel good."

Mr Schmitt-Matzen said he gave the boy a toy from the television show PAW Patrol that his mother had purchased.
    The boy asked him where he was going after he died, and Mr Schmitt-Matzen told him he was "Santa's Number One elf" and he would be welcomed.

The child then sat up to give his visitor a hug and he asked one final question: "Santa, can you help me?"
    Moments later, he passed away in Mr Schmitt-Matzen's arms.

"It's still tough to relive," he told the BBC.
    When asked if he would continue to put on the red suit, Mr Schmitt-Matzen said: "If somebody calls I'll do it. It hurts, but I'll do it."

Not everyone gets a happy ending. I hope this a happy ending for the kid who just past. /salute to Santa

I feel for the parents, I couldn't imagine.

Deleted
    It's always a shame when children die.

Deleted
    Really sad but inspiring story, brought tears to my eyes. There is no pain and suffering in heaven, I am glad to hear the boy was happy before he passed away.

10+ Year Old Account
    That sucks. Poor thing

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't plan on crying today but here we are.

Deleted
    it really is a shame this boy was introduced to the capitalist swine fable of santa but will die without knowledge of Lenin, Marx, and the glorious leaders of the Revolution

10+ Year Old Account
    I shedded a man tear over this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurata View Post
    it really is a shame this boy was introduced to the capitalist swine fable of santa but will die without knowledge of Lenin, Marx, and the glorious leaders of the Revolution
    Stay classy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurata View Post
    God dammit Internet. Why you ruin everything?
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

That's heartbreaking. May the night watch over him.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

It's very sad, but atleast there's the small silver lining that he did die happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    God dammit Internet. Why you ruin everything?
    People do that.
    The internet just provides one means.
    We had jerks before, we have jerks still.

At least the child died as happy as they could be given the circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    That poor boy, deserved so much more.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's really sad, but kudos to the guy playing Santa and fulfilling the dying boy's wish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I don't really care. Any one else have a bag of fucks give?

Maybe my dialect isn't understood by everyone. Ain't got time for dis!
    Last edited by zEmini; 2016-12-12 at 09:08 PM.

Could not fathom such tragedy. Kudos to the "Santa".
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is just too much.

Had a few people come up to my desk and ask if I got fired or something lol. Not the kind of thing to read while at work. This is just too sad.

Eww, burn the suit. This santa had to play the grim reaper 4 times? Mom will probably sue him for denying her his last moments.