Page 1 of 210
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Post [Movie] Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

Lucasfilm has filed a trademark to the European Union Intellectual Property Office for 'Star Wars: Forces of Destiny'; a 2,000-word list of related items including clothing, toys, staplers, Christmas tree ornaments, as well as motion picture films.

Forces of Destiny would of course link to the idea of Rey having some great, history-altering role to play in the future of the Jedi and the galaxy at large, so it's not entirely an awkward fit as the name of the next Star Wars film.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a7468266.html
    Hi

The title is a bit meh to me.

I would not have drawn that conclusion about Rey from the title, but I was already drawing on that conclusion, just in hopes there was a reason for her to be a Mary Sue or whatever.

The "Forces" of destiny could be referring to all the characters, or other things. It doesn't necessarily have to mean The Force, although it certainly is awkward to use that word and not mean it that way, in a Star Wars IP.
    Last edited by Tijuana; 2016-12-13 at 12:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just the fact that it's Forces, plural, makes me think it's WAY bigger than just Rey. I'm guessing it'll be Rey, Kylo, Finn, maybe Luke as well. Whole mess of people.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Wow, that's actually a pretty underwhelming title.

Deleted
    The cynic side of me is guessing that Rey is destined to kick ass using several forces.........but I realy hope that previously writers is right that its bigger then Rey.
    Last edited by mmoc957ac7b970; 2016-12-13 at 05:48 AM.

Last movie was shit so meh

Destiny is an overplayed concept.

Let's hope that title is a work in progress. It's too cheesy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Not "First order strikes back" guessing Rey is destined to kick ass next movie to....
    I'm thinking its going to be Kylo who's going to kick ass in the next movie , like he started out pretty cool in the beginning showing his powers , but then towards the end he ended up being of the weakest force users to date. And so towards the end of the movie Snow mentioned he is going to finish his training with Kylo , and Snow obviously has been around longer then when the 1st movie started in the movie timeline . His power is still unknown , but if you read any of the books ( for example the bane trilogy ) one can get incredible powers just by learning certain ways of older masters / lords.
    I'm not taking away that Rey will become stronger as well , but i just hope that Kylo will make a return that will give shivers down everyone's spine .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by External View Post
    I'm thinking its going to be Kylo who's going to kick ass in the next movie , I'm not taking away that Rey will become stronger as well
    Then the pacing it totaly wrong, Imagen if this was the dialogue in RotJ.

Yoda: Defeat Vader you must
    Luke: That guy? I already defeated him twice.
    Yoda: oooo but stronger he become.
    Luke: I have to become stronger.

The final showdown between Luke and Vader will be watered down. Luke do not go into the fight as the underdog but as the ruling champion.

Quote Originally Posted by External View Post
    but i just hope that Kylo will make a return that will give shivers down everyone's spine
    But what can Kylo do to give shivers down everyone's spine, he already cut down a defenseless man and order a village to be slaughtered and murdered his fader. Murder his mother or order the slaughter of a city will not raise the bar. The only thing that is left is "rape is a special evil" troop and I do not think Disney dare to move in that direction.

That's a hugely confusing title and makes little sense.

When there's a capital T, capital F The Force in a universe, to have a title which says Forces is muddled. Is there multiple Forces? Is it referring to multiple Force actors? Is it referring to the dark side versus the light? Or is it simply referring to the traditional definition, as in a group of people in an armed force? A first year marketing student could point out the numerous flaws in a title like that.

Furthermore, what's a Force of Destiny? It's such a vague phrase. And the first movie in the new reboot was already called The Force Awakens.

As we've seen multiple times with WoW, any number of things can be registered with IP offices - if the copyrights are actually issued, that's a whole other story. If this is real, I'd imagine it's more TFA spin-off stuff.

Edit: Also, after reading the article, it says Lucasfilm filed for the patents. I don't know that the movies are being made under that imprint any more, and it would make more sense if Disney was filing the patents. Lucasfilm could be more related to games or cartoons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    That's a hugely confusing title and makes little sense.

When there's a capital T, capital F The Force in a universe, to have a title which says Forces is muddled. Is there multiple Forces? Is it referring to multiple Force actors? Is it referring to the dark side versus the light? Or is it simply referring to the traditional definition, as in a group of people in an armed force? A first year marketing student could point out the numerous flaws in a title like that.
    Maybe it's because in the titles of movies and so forth all words that aren't prepositions are capitalized?

It's not that complex. "Forces." As in, a compulsion or influence. Pretty obvious by the title.

The only reason it seems "meh" to me is because all star wars movies, save for the phantom menace and the original, have some relevance with the Star Wars Universe. Clone Wars. Revenge of the Sith. Empire Strikes Back. Return of the Jedi. The Force Awakens.

Forces of destiny fits in with "A New Hope" if you think about it. Vague and somewhat noncommittal.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Your critical analysis focused on capitalization instead of the fact that there's something called "The Force" in this universe, and having "Forces" in the title would be confusing. My critique wasn't saying because Forces was capitalized it may be confused with the Force, my critique was saying "Forces" makes no sense in a universe where "The Force" exists.

Also, the definition you use of Forces is a general definition that could be summed up with countless other words, instead of using one which coincides with an actual influence with proper noun status. Moreover, you'd probably have a "The" before it, if it was being uses in that sense.

Ofcoz it's both Finn and Rey... they both handled the lightsaber pretty well the first time they every saw one... kinda meh imho, I prefer both of them as non-forceusers and just plain good fighters... But it's inevitable that it's gonna be a huge "twist" with sons and daughters left and right..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Your critical analysis focused on capitalization instead of the fact that there's something called "The Force" in this universe, and having "Forces" in the title would be confusing. My critique wasn't saying because Forces was capitalized it may be confused with the Force, my critique was saying "Forces" makes no sense in a universe where "The Force" exists.

Also, the definition you use of Forces is a general definition that could be summed up with countless other words, instead of using one which coincides with an actual influence with proper noun status. Moreover, you'd probably have a "The" before it, if it was being uses in that sense.
    They used "Forces" probably because it's a cheeky reference to the fact that "The Force" is a thing in the Star Wars universe. Like how "The Dark Knight" sounds a lot like "Dark Night" because bats operate at night as does batman. But it also works because he's a crusader, like a knight. Or in Rogue One. Rogue One is the name of their combat unit, but Jyn is ALSO a "rogue one." See? It's all a rich tapestry, yadda yadda yadda.

In essence, it can refer to all or none of the things. It can refer to a force like an armed force. It can refer to an influence. It can refer to the light side and dark.

You're asking for specifics from a Movie Title, whose goal it is to encapsulate all the possibilities a move can offer you. Would you have a problem with the title "Inception" because "inceiving" an idea has nothing to do with science fiction dream heists in which your dead wife can come back and haunt you as a figment of your imagination? Inception can and did mean a lot of things in the context of that movie; "Forces" can be expected to mean the same here.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Has Star Wars ever been "cheeky" with their titles? Even "A New Hope" which you suggest is vague, is actually a specific entity within the film embodied by Luke, the rebirth of the Jedi order.

None of the SW titles have been cheeky or used to suggest multiple things. The most vague word in the titles have been the "A" in ANH, and "Phantom" in TPM, if you didn't know Anakin's destiny (which everyone did).

Furthermore, The Dark Knight is a title Batman has had for decades in the comics. Maybe it was cheeky in the comics, in the movies it was just a callback, especially when you consider the third movie was called "The Dark Knight Rises" which wouldn't make sense in your analysis.

And lastly, Inception as a movie is meant to be mind-bending, therefore having a title which makes you think is apropos of its purpose as a film. The Star Wars movies have never tried to make you think about deeper meanings via their title. In fact, Star Wars is known for its archetypal "Hero's Journey" storyline.

It really sounds like a Michael Bay title. So hacky and cheesy. Even the prequels had better titles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Destiny has always been a thing in Starwars.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Rey and Kylo become force-sensitive super saiyans. The First Order or whatever they are called comes out of hiding. Poe becomes the first gay fighter pilot. Chewie is froze in carbonite. We learn that Snoke is Reys father. Mickey becomes the new Emperor. We find out that the Order was actually protecting the galaxy from Thanos, who is after the Infinity gem within Rey's lightsaber.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

And I thought that The Force Awakens was already cheesy and cliche.