What's the advantage of farm groups...

for things like Tusks of Mannoroth?

I've been doing a few attempts a day (using bonus rolls obviously) solo - have a lock on a different character on my account, but I've seen a lot of old posts about farming groups for this and other items.

This got me wondering if there was any particular advantage to forming a farm group as opposed to doing it all solo.
    Radiate Positivity

Armory
    raider.io
    Twitch Affiliate

Faster run I guess? Especially on Immerseus, spoils and galakras.

Quote Originally Posted by effs View Post
    Faster run I guess? Especially on Immerseus, spoils and galakras.
    True, but you don't have to clear the whole instance to kill Garrosh over and over.

I have a lockout on one of my alts that has everything killed but Garrosh. I make a group finder group etc, log out, join it on my warrior, zone in, kill garrosh, drop group, once I zone out, I log out to my alt, reset instances and basically rinse and repeat.

Maybe it's a social thing?
    Radiate Positivity

Armory
    raider.io
    Twitch Affiliate

Social thing I guess xD Also, you can funnel gear if the same armour type or something.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    using the lockout only works flex and heroic iirc, mythic soo you cant extend and reuse. Therefore more people = more loot dropping cause loot drops are based off number of people in the instance

Quote Originally Posted by Mymori View Post
    using the lockout only works flex and heroic iirc, mythic soo you cant extend and reuse. Therefore more people = more loot dropping cause loot drops are based off number of people in the instance
    Still doesn't make sense everyone only gets 1 lootable kill on mythic + 1 bonus roll on mythic.

Plus the only people in these groups are those farming the item for themselves, and you can't trade loot you get on a bonus roll... I just don't see a reason to coordinate all these people into a farm group when you can do it just as quickly solo.
    Radiate Positivity

Armory
    raider.io
    Twitch Affiliate

Quote Originally Posted by Drtydeeds View Post
    Still doesn't make sense everyone only gets 1 lootable kill on mythic + 1 bonus roll on mythic.

Plus the only people in these groups are those farming the item for themselves, and you can't trade loot you get on a bonus roll... I just don't see a reason to coordinate all these people into a farm group when you can do it just as quickly solo.
    Well some people run the whole instance to get some pieces or the whole set and with more people= more loot, for example i create group to farm the warlock set of blackrock foundry mythic with at least 15 persons

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    for things like Tusks of Mannoroth?

I've been doing a few attempts a day (using bonus rolls obviously) solo - have a lock on a different character on my account, but I've seen a lot of old posts about farming groups for this and other items.

This got me wondering if there was any particular advantage to forming a farm group as opposed to doing it all solo.
    I was farming tusks from Garrosh for a while in those farming groups and the advantage is obviously speed. There would be one guy with a Garrosh lock making a group in the group finder. Everyone else would sign up to that group, enter and just run straight for Garrosh. Once he was dead, or near death, everyone was kicked out of the group to be tp'd to the graveyard and meanwhile the guy with the lock would be making a new group.

There was no organisation other than "Run in, kill, bonus roll, repeat". In all cases this will always be faster than doing it solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Egor2765 View Post
    I was farming tusks from Garrosh for a while in those farming groups and the advantage is obviously speed. There would be one guy with a Garrosh lock making a group in the group finder. Everyone else would sign up to that group, enter and just run straight for Garrosh. Once he was dead, or near death, everyone was kicked out of the group to be tp'd to the graveyard and meanwhile the guy with the lock would be making a new group.

There was no organisation other than "Run in, kill, bonus roll, repeat". In all cases this will always be faster than doing it solo.
    I do the exact same solo with an alt that I have a lockout on... it's just as fast.

So, again, what's the advantage of a farm group?
    Radiate Positivity

Armory
    raider.io
    Twitch Affiliate

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    I do the exact same solo with an alt that I have a lockout on... it's just as fast.

So, again, what's the advantage of a farm group?
    ??? Obviously you're going to kill him much faster with 20+ people in the group as opposed to 1 guy on his own.
    EDIT: But, with that said I haven't stepped foot in SoO since perhaps early WoD. So I can't say if you're able to one shot him at level 110 now.
    Last edited by Egor2765; 2016-12-18 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Egor2765 View Post
    ??? Obviously you're going to kill him much faster with 20+ people in the group as opposed to 1 guy on his own.
    EDIT: But, with that said I haven't stepped foot in SoO since perhaps early WoD. So I can't say if you're able to one shot him at level 110 now.
    Not quite a one-shot, but you can kill him very quickly - or at least I can. With the phase transitions though, it's not really going to be any faster with a group, if anything keeping the group organized and all that will make it take longer.
    Radiate Positivity

Armory
    raider.io
    Twitch Affiliate

Deleted
    Run speed and smoothness

Still don't see this as being a reason to do it.

I can kill Garrosh solo relog and reset the instance in about 3-4 minutes...

The sense I'm getting is that farm groups are completely pointless and I'm not missing out on anything by doing the Tusks of Mannoroth farm solo.
    Radiate Positivity

Armory
    raider.io
    Twitch Affiliate

two heads are better than one

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Not quite a one-shot, but you can kill him very quickly - or at least I can. With the phase transitions though, it's not really going to be any faster with a group, if anything keeping the group organized and all that will make it take longer.
    There was just as little organisation in the farm groups for Tusks when I ran them as there is in your group alone. So ofc its faster than you doing it solo - but only perhaps by a second or two depending on how fast you push him to RP. Using the temple phase as an example: you will have to run to one group, then another one and then another one etc. whereas a group with more people will (most likely) spread out and you'll shave off a couple of seconds.
    The advantage to farm groups for tusks, from when those threads you read were new, was speed. The advantage now is speed. What changed now with Legion is you just being able to do more damage and thus the difference is lower.

How can you not see the advantage of grouping up versus doing it alone in general? As BellicoseAxe wrote two heads are better than one - or rather, two spears are better than one.
    Last edited by Egor2765; 2017-01-02 at 11:08 PM.