Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why is "I want to play what is best/really good RIGHT NOW" an invalid idea?

Looking over a lot of the re-roll advice threads or class feedback threads I see a lot of people who ask "What looks like its going to be good for patch X/what dps spec is best right now" and they get absolutely obliterated with people saying "lol fuck you fotm reroller" or trolled with people claiming well known trash specs are top tier. But that question doesn't seem as off base or ridiculous to me. Why is it unacceptable to want to know what the strongest class/spec for a given role is at the moment? There generally always is one, but people treat this question like people are asking something completely nonsensical, or in some cases offensive. So my question is this: why is it taboo to want to play the thing that can do the most dps or healing, or win more consistently than everything else in pvp.

It is not an invalid idea, people should play whatever they like best, and if they like best performing with the top tier class/spec of the moment, they are free to do so. The problem I can see is that people who play what they enjoy (which might not be topping the metters at the moment) probably feel that the devs won't be putting on effort to balance the classes on par with what's on the top, considering that they have already said that they're "fine with classes/specs rotating on the top tier between patches/expansions".

10+ Year Old Account
    The "best" is borderline subjective as most everything is a giant game of rock paper scissors, though admittedly there are always a few specs that shine a bit brighter than the rest. The problem is that it changes so fast, often within a patch since scaling works differently for different specs let alone hot fixes. This leads to people constantly switching into roles they barely feel comfortable in and having to learn them. By the time they have truly perfected it, it is often no longer the most effective spec by numbers.

TL;DR You'll do more DPS at something you're good at than something you're not comfortable with but sims better and by the time you learn it something might be hot fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

It's such a bullshit question. If you are really that ill informed that you don't know whats best (or how to find it or judge for yourself) then chances are you are going to blow at playing whatever fotm you roll to.

So in short, don't waste my time.

I'm cool with people rerolling for the sake of player power. However, as noted just above, if you already rerolling for the sake of fotm, you probably should already know what it is, or else you're apt to be one of those that just can't pull it off regardless.

Its because people are delusional.

"Class XXX destroyed me in PvP/Damage Meters, people say its FOTM, i will reroll too"

What they dont understand is that player probably mains that class for awhile, or simply adapts much faster than you etc etc., in other words he is a better player than you, rerolling wont do anything than waste everyones time.

Mostly the argument is "Did you really gave up your own class cause you suck at it cause you believe XXX is stronger?" When its probably not stronger, just easier to get higher numbers which makes the average mouthbreather in PvP say its OP.
    Last edited by potis; 2016-12-15 at 06:59 AM.

Obviously, that has to do something with having to regear your rerolled character with our played-for-fun-not-so-FOTM-classes.

I have absolutely no grudges when a person wants to reroll inbetween big patches, when the progression is over or when old expansion is about to end and a new one is about to start. But a fucker who rerolls each time a minor balance patch is out, is, well, a fucker, who cares only about meterwhoring instead of thinking about overall success of a team.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Deleted
    Cause of the RPG in MMORPG.

-and-

They want you to form a greater bond with the character, which makes it easier/cheaper to keep you as a customer.
    As a company they sit on a lot of data, which most probably indicates players who stick with the same character over extended periods of time to also stick with the game for a longer time and be more likely to return to the game.

I think you're free to play whatever you choose. It's just a silly game after all.

If you want us to play devils advocate, reasons I can think of not to re-roll include:
    • Buffs and nerfs are on-going, so the spec you switch to may not stay "the best" for very long.
    • Becoming really good with your spec - so good you don't have to think about what to do when - usually trumps playing the current hot spec. That kind of good only comes with time and practice.
    • If you're constantly switching around, your main will never be as fully developed as your mates/whoever you're running with.

That said, I'll return to it's just a game and only way to win is having fun. Play what you like and happy holidays!

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

10+ Year Old Account
    From my experience within the game, and community. Being a 'FOTM' player, also brings the part where you cannot be trusted to know your own class. Doesn't apply to everyone, but used to be a problem I noticed back in previous raid tiers.

But in the end, you pay for your gametime, your choice.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    If Blizzard would be able to create a balanced system for all specs which could live on for an entire expansion without any tweaks... Will never happen.

People assuming because x class is the best atm, they will be the best,
    And it always happens in waves, not individuals,

Lets look at a specific case. Rogues. Cataclysm. Daggers.

Every fucker switched to a rogue when they heard about these exclusive legendaries.
    Every guild app we had was either a new player re rolled rogue or a experienced raider applying with his main then adding in the extra "I want to raid with my rogue alt"
    Every melee dps in the guild and some range were trying to switch out their mains to bring in alt rogues,

Quote Originally Posted by Nynetails View Post
    Looking over a lot of the re-roll advice threads or class feedback threads I see a lot of people who ask "What looks like its going to be good for patch X/what dps spec is best right now" and they get absolutely obliterated with people saying "lol fuck you fotm reroller" or trolled with people claiming well known trash specs are top tier. But that question doesn't seem as off base or ridiculous to me. Why is it unacceptable to want to know what the strongest class/spec for a given role is at the moment? There generally always is one, but people treat this question like people are asking something completely nonsensical, or in some cases offensive. So my question is this: why is it taboo to want to play the thing that can do the most dps or healing, or win more consistently than everything else in pvp.
    It's a pretty complex issue when you get down into the details. But the short answer is that people play videogames to relax and enjoy themselves, and that often means feeling like they're powerful. So it's no wonder that people naturally gravitate towards whatever class/spec/gear is most powerful in any given month.

Sadly, switching like that has become VERY time consuming in Legion. I know 7.1.5 will remedy that somewhat, but there's still a significant investment of time to change specs, much less mains. And it's not even just AP, but optimal gear, as well as legendaries. While I think people should be able to play how they want, Blizzard has created a situation where players are being forced to choose between what they want to enjoy and giving up their existing investment; followed by another investment of time and effort.

Monthly sub model is definitely making its influence felt here. I'm all for investing time and effort in games(hell, I've got over 200 hours in DarkSouls3 between WoW patches), but at some point it starts to get tedious and over-done. I'm REALLY hoping 7.1.5 and further patches clean things up a bit more and allow players more freedom to play how they want.

But to get back the the original question: As many people have already said, there's nothing wrong with switching to FOTM. It's your recreation time, spend it how you want. Don't listen to the elitism scumbags who will tell you that playing any way other than their way is wrong.

Deleted
    It might have something together with pressure veteran players have on casuals. You don't perform to the expected standard and you might start thinking that re rolling to easier/more dps class might be solution. So in the way some veteran/elite player kill enjoyment for casuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    It's such a bullshit question. If you are really that ill informed that you don't know whats best (or how to find it or judge for yourself) then chances are you are going to blow at playing whatever form you roll to.

So in short, don't waste my time.
    Just LOL mate - if it wast of your time, just don't read this forum, plenty of time saved

Deleted
    Unless you top parse rerolling, you are just a dps e peen whore, because rerolling fotm in a game where every patch or tier shuffle the class ranking is pretty retard.

Only expection are

1 reroll for guild sake
    2 reroll because your class got completely gutted destroyed
    3 after years of playing XY class you realise that you are fucking awful and reroll another suitable class

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    People assuming because x class is the best atm, they will be the best,
    And it always happens in waves, not individuals,

Lets look at a specific case. Rogues. Cataclysm. Daggers.

Every fucker switched to a rogue when they heard about these exclusive legendaries.
    Every guild app we had was either a new player re rolled rogue or a experienced raider applying with his main then adding in the extra "I want to raid with my rogue alt"
    Every melee dps in the guild and some range were trying to switch out their mains to bring in alt rogues,
    yeah this sounds sooo familair xD
    and then you had the people who mained rogue before the legendary daggers who were easily outdps'ing most(if not all) of thos people :P

Deleted
    There are 2 main issues with FOTM rerollers:

1) They need to be geared. It happens frequently that people want to "reroll" after the first content progress is done because "they are not happy with their class any more". So: New toon gets taken to farm runs and gets equipped. Same happens after the second content progress is done. Either 3rd toon now gets equipped or the original suddenly is better again. Typically, those FOTM rerollers are also the ones with the least respect for others, so they do not care that they are getting carried constantly, which - over longer periods of time - is just freaking annoying.

2) FOTM re-rollers unfortunately are also usually very vocal. First, they are the ones dissing others about their lack of dps, unnecessarily frustrating them. They usually also are the ones inflating the LFD requirements and/or kicking / trolling others in random PuGs because a) they usually don't have respect for others and b) actually only do these PuGs to show off their e-peen.

Lastly, the game itself has suffered heavily from the ever-growing FOTM crowd because they have pushed everything towards meters. Yes, meters have been around forever, but it has gotten progressively worse up to the current situation where dps is the only measure people look at. No matter how cheesed it is.

Edit: Probably goes without saying, but all of the above is my personal opinion, and does not claim to be universal truth.

It's annoying because it's often backed by the person thinking that their shitty performance is the result of their spec/gear/legendaries when almost certainly the reason is because they're just not very good at playing their current spec.

Doubly annoying if that is because their current spec was a fotm re roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Socronoss View Post
    There are 2 main issues with FOTM rerollers:

1) They need to be geared. It happens frequently that people want to "reroll" after the first content progress is done because "they are not happy with their class any more". So: New toon gets taken to farm runs and gets equipped. Same happens after the second content progress is done. Either 3rd toon now gets equipped or the original suddenly is better again. Typically, those FOTM rerollers are also the ones with the least respect for others, so they do not care that they are getting carried constantly, which - over longer periods of time - is just freaking annoying.

2) FOTM re-rollers unfortunately are also usually very vocal. First, they are the ones dissing others about their lack of dps, unnecessarily frustrating them. They usually also are the ones inflating the LFD requirements and/or kicking / trolling others in random PuGs because a) they usually don't have respect for others and b) actually only do these PuGs to show off their e-peen.

Lastly, the game itself has suffered heavily from the ever-growing FOTM crowd because they have pushed everything towards meters. Yes, meters have been around forever, but it has gotten progressively worse up to the current situation where dps is the only measure people look at. No matter how cheesed it is.

Edit: Probably goes without saying, but all of the above is my personal opinion, and does not claim to be universal truth.
    I resent the idea that a focus on meters/FOTM is a community problem. It's not. It's entirely a function of how the game itself expects players to perform, and how it measures performance.

I mean, when you're playing as a DPS in a raid encounter, what do you look at to judge performance? The meters. The DPS "game" in an encounter is maintaining the highest possible DPS whilst not screwing up. Assuming that you haven't made any readily-visible mistakes (not switching to an add, failing a mechanic, dying, etc) then the meters are a direct measure of how well you did. There's nothing strange or mysterious about the focus players put on it.

It's like saying that players in an FPS are too focused on shooting people, or that someone playing a Mario game is too focused on finishing a level. You can't really blame the player for that (and in some ways, it's absurd to even try) because it's completely a reflection of what the game itself is encouraging the player to do.

As a natural extension of that, players are naturally going to get antsy about gaps between classes. No-one wants to feel like they're getting less bang for their buck in the only metric that matters. Personally, I don't reroll (because it'd change WoW from an unproductive use of my time into a catastrophic waste of time) but I understand why people do.

The big issue most fotm rerollers don't realize is that skill is far more important that what class sims the best. It can take thousands of hours to perfect a class, and if you're rerolling every patch for the new fotm, you'll never perfect a class. fotm might give you +5% but skill will give you +25%.