Thread: Weird Habits

7+ Year Old Account

Weird Habits

As a pretty hardcore math and physics major I pride myself on logic, reason, and the suppression of my emotions. One of the weird things I do is immediately increase my guard when talking to or in the presence of an attractive female. I do this because I am aware that good looks can easily effect peoples thinking, and I have read studies which illustrate that attractive people know that their looks enable them to manipulate other more easily. This is exactly why I am more on guard against attractive people of either gender.

Sometimes I think I am crazy for doing this. Other times I think I am just ahead of the curve.

What is your weird habit?
    Last edited by nanook12; 2016-12-17 at 04:42 AM.

Ummmmmmm there is the potential in anyone to be a shitty person or to be a really nice person. Being attractive isn't a superpower. I think your putting way too much value in looks. You are essentially giving your power away to attractive females just because you find them attractive.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    Ummmmmmm there is the potential in anyone to be a shitty person or to be a really nice person. Being attractive isn't a superpower. I think your putting way too much value in looks. You are essentially giving your power away to attractive females just because you find them attractive.
    I believe this is the article stating that attractive people are more manipulative. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...o-good-looking

The theory makes perfect sense. Attractive people are aware that our society places value on good looks, so they use that to their advantage in life. It is the same with all attributes in life, people exploit them for gain. I attempt to cancel out the effects of attractiveness in others by guarding myself more; thereby, they can't manipulate me as easily because I am not as wooed by good looks.
    Last edited by nanook12; 2016-12-17 at 05:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My habit would probably be pretty weird to this forum.

I don't treat interactions with the opposite sex like a never ending game of chess

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    I believe this is the article stating that attractive people are more manipulative. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...o-good-looking
    they can only be more manipulative if you value their looks more then what they ask you to do

ugly woman asks you to buy her a drink at a bar - hot woman asks you to buy her a drink at a bar

you dont let ugly woman manipulate you into buying her a drink because you dont value her looks

you let hot woman manipulate you into buying her a drink because you value her looks

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    they can only be more manipulative if you value their looks more then what they ask you to do

ugly woman asks you to buy her a drink at a bar - hot woman asks you to buy her a drink at a bar

you dont let ugly woman manipulate you into buying her a drink because you dont value her looks

you let hot woman manipulate you into buying her a drink because you value her looks
    I shut both of them down by buying them nothing and keeping the extra money for myself.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm a psychologist working at Columbia in NYC... for frame of reference

Psychology today is a bullshit site with skewed/dumbed down ideas from usually advanced research articles, either they're dumbed down to the point where the original point made in the article becomes so diluted that it's not the same thing anymore OR the writer at psych today straight up doesn't understand the given (original) research paper's subject matter...frankly more "good looking" people are far more insecure (especially women) acknowledging their attractiveness and not changing your behavior is the most effective strategy
    Last edited by Hashtronaut; 2016-12-17 at 05:11 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashtronaut View Post
    I'm a psychologist working at Columbia in NYC... for frame of reference

Psychology today is a bullshit site with skewed/dumbed down ideas from usually advanced research articles, either they're dumbed down to the point where the original point made in the article becomes so diluted that it's not the same thing anymore OR the writer at psych today straight up doesn't understand the given (original) research paper's subject matter...frankly more "good looking" people are far more insecure (especially women) acknowledging their attractiveness and not changing your behavior is the most effective strategy
    Well I am sticking with the analysis of an article that was written by a PHD in psychology over a random forum poster any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    I shut both of them down by buying them nothing and keeping the extra money for myself.
    yes, but that's my point - no one can manipulate you if you don't value what they offer more then what they ask you to do

All human interaction is an exchange of commodity in the end. When someone wants something from me I run it through a quick logical flowchart to figure out if it's worth it or not. If it isn't then I say nothing and hope that they go away (real life) or turn on the Mute/Ignore function (internet).

You REALLY don't want to know what those are.