Poll: Which genre would you like to see make a comeback?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Your favorite old-school genre.

I'm talking about genres which are no longer being made by AAA developers because anything that isn't a QuickTimeEvent-ridden interactive movie with bangable aliens doesn't sell.

Mine would be the beat'em'up genre. I started out my video game journey as a wee lad playing Double Dragon on the NES, but it wasn't until my friend lent me Streets of Rage for the SEGA GENESIS that my love for dispensing street justice grew to full bloom.

Some might say that Streets of Rage was just a Final Fight clone but, honestly, Capcom's beat'em'up had a completely different tone and style. Sure, the idea was for SEGA to develop a competitor to Capcom's (then in Nintendo's pocket) already impressive gallery of button-mashers, but Hiroaki Chino came up with something that was so much more than just a side-scroller - Streets of Rage was art, man. You were swinging those fists (and legs) with a purpose.

I'm of the opinion that Beat'em'ups should be about more than just supplexing punks - they should be gritty, bloody and dark but also retain a certain sense of humor. That's why Streets of Rage is still the king to this day.

Indeed, Twenty-five years later, the original trilogy still has a pretty active fandom dedicated to modding, reminiscing and such. If this piques your interest then I recommend starting your journey back into retro fistpumping with the following article:
    http://segabits.com/blog/2016/08/06/...-up-greatness/

--

Now some of the above poll options might be considered controversial - I too sometimes find it hard to admit that the RTS genre is dead - but, you know what? That's perfectly fine because once a genre is considered "dead" to the mainstream, that opens up a niche for smaller developers to take advantage of. With any luck, a star will rise above the ranks and we will get another game on the same level as Command & Conquer, Dune or Starcraft... and then twelves years later the franchise can be acquired by a megalomaniac publisher which will split the sequel into multiple DLCs and the cycle can then begin anew.

I love videogames.
    Last edited by Hotmail; 2016-12-18 at 03:18 AM.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Text-based dungeon crawlers, namely games like Wizardry. <3

Also, several point and click adventures.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Isometric RPGS. fortunately they are in somewhat of a renissance recently.
    RTS games

You might want to check outside mainstream gaming media for some of these. Beat em ups for example have had some great games in recent years. Double Dragon Neon on PS3 is fantastic and a new River City Ransom hit 3DS like a month ago. Just because they dont generate enough ad clicks for the mainstream baseline journalists to make articles on doesnt mean they went away.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was a huge fan of point and click adventure games growing up, especially all the Lucasarts ones like Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, The Dig, Monkey Island 1 & 2, and my all time favorite, Sam and Max Hit the Road. Full Throttle was actually the very first PC game I ever bought way back when. They have actually seen a bot of a comeback as of late as well with games like Broken Age and Dreamfall Chapters as well as remasters of Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango.

What's with the unrealted poll?

Personally RPGs. I would love to have more games like the gothic series back. Too bad that neither the license holder nor the original devs can make a good game to save their lives these days. I would also like some of the more complex systems back in my games like the original Deus Ex (or the RPGs of old..) had, before they had to dumb it down for consoles.

I like turn-based games that center around moving your characters on a grid. It's not *quite* RTS. Examples: Final Fantasy Tactics or Front Mission. I was playing those at age 11~ so they're "old" to me, and they don't get made anymore.

Turn-based RPGs. (HoMM 3)

Not gonna lie, point and click adventure games were always pretty awesome. I do not think any other genre has died such a death. Adventure in general has taken a beating.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Deleted
    Of those mentioned: RTS. But my vote would go to classic / tactical / isometric RPGs, as you especially stated "no longer being made by AAA developers". There are many indie-RPGs out there, so there's no shortage of these games. But at least all western AAA games in that direction are ARPGs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Point and Click from the options above.

Things like Monkey Island, Beneath a Steel Sky and Broken Sword were all I played as a kid.

If we're talking other genre, I would include turn based/tactical RPGs. They're still around a bit, but most RPG these days are action/fps style, which doesn't really sit with me.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Turn Based RPGs; Suikoden, Final Fantasy I-X, Final Fantasy Tactics, Baldur's Gate, et cetera.

Not so sure 'Old School' anymore considering the recent revival of some of these gameplay types in Pillars of Eternity, Shadowrun Returns, Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2, et cetera.

I also miss good RTS games that are not Starcraft II. Been playing Dawn of War I with a load of mods for the past 6 months and recently re-installed Empire at War. I love big RTS like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    RTS and Point and Clicks are what got me into PC Gaming. also management games like Transport Tycoon

Command and Conquer and Warcraft: Orcs and Humans were my first RTS games while Sam and Max and Discworld got me into Point and Clicks.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

I don't know what it is called, but the original ff and golden sun types of games

I'd really like to see citybuilders in the vein of Caesar/Pharoah again.

I'd prolly hate them still... but I dislike the current incarnations in the genre because they lack goals/scenarios/personality.

Generally, once you figure out the "right way" to build your city... you just repeat it in any future game. Or in this day and age, you google "right way to build city" online and the whole game is gone. With different scenarios/etc, the "proper way" varies. Sure you can spoil each scenario, but I dunno... I like goals in my sandbox. Gives me a sense of accomplishment when I achieve them. And building pyramids is fun too.

Flight sims.

I miss the days of Microprose and Janes, of Digital Integration and DID. Of new sims coming out every few months, of large boxes and huge manuals.

I'm not sure what the genre is actually called, top-down/isometric point-and-click shooters maybe? Basically games like the original Syndicate and Cannon Fodder.

Arcane fighting games.
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    - classic RTS games. Command&Conquer series, Age of Empires/Mythology, Warcraft, Starcraft

- story-driven space-sims. Wing Commander, Descent-Freespace (Conflict Freespace in Europe), Freelancer. Cba with the ultra-hardcore open-exploration like the new Elite: Dangerous

- also story-driven FPS seem to be in decline in favor of multiplayer pvp crap. Half-life, Star Wars-Dark Forces/ Jedi Knight, No One Lives Forever

I love platformers, turn based rpgs, and zelda type rpgs.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.