Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Netflix] The OA

Really digging this show, very different than most anything out there. Very mysterious and metaphysical. Any comparisons to Stranger Things is unfair, they're very different stories. Was a bit of a slow start, but at episode 4 it really took off.

Much more like Brit Marling's (actor and writer) other movies; The Sound of My Voice and Another Earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait... Brit Marling is in this? It popped up on my Netflix front page and I gave it a glance and thought it looked ok, didn't recognise her though.

This just SHOT up my list of shows to watch. Might start tonight.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it started well but than it became clear that those people are retarded. The ending proves it.

6/10

My twitter had a couple of mumblings about it, Jessica Henwick and someone I believe... no idea who Brit is.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    My twitter had a couple of mumblings about it, Jessica Henwick and someone I believe... no idea who Brit is.
    Go watch Another Earth. FANTASTIC film she wrote and leads.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just got finished watching... I've got to say I REALLY liked it.

A lot of people are comparing it to Stranger Things, which I think is a disservice to both shows, Stranger Things is a big heaping bowl of nostalgia, it's your favourite meal and a big mug of cocoa on a cold night.

The OA is one of those crazy molecular gastronomy dishes, cooked in lye and served on a shoe. It's odd and sharp and you're not really sure what the hell it is... but if you just embrace the weird and dig in you'll find it's brilliance is there, you just need to get past the oddity of it all.

Brit Marling is one of the great unsung talents of her generation. Not just a brilliant actress, but also a writer of rare creativity. In an industry growing increasingly lazy, content to serve up adaptions, reboots and sequels, she continues to give us stories which confound, confuse and enthral from start to finish.

This was also one of the most visually stunning shows I've seen in a long time, balancing the sweeping ice covered vista of small town America, with the dark almost claustrophobic flashbacks...

The end was... Odd. Honestly, I think it would have been better if they'd just charged the robber and one of them got shot. When they were looking at eachother, getting ready to do... Whatever, I was honestly on the edge of my seat, expecting one to die.

When they jumped up and started dancing... it all seemed a bit disjointed. I was surprised when the guy didn't just lift up his rifle and end them all right there. But eh, I geuss there's a lot that could have happened there, and given the tone of the show, this is probably the best way it could have ended.

Three cheers too Betty, the real MvP. Probably my favourite of the new five.

Honestly, if I wasn't busy tomorrow, I think I'd wake up early and spend the day rewatching the whole series in one long session...

7+ Year Old Account
    Started watching this this evening. About 15-20mins into the first episode I was ready to turn it off and then the scene in the attic of an empty home happened. Hooked at the moment. Only two episodes in but it looks good thus far.

Edit:
    Been awhile since I got sucked into a series like I did with this one. What a great story. What great story telling. Solid acting. Some powerful scenes. And best of all, the season had a solid conclusion at the end. With regards to the ending, I don't think its going to be for everyone and I expect as time goes on, for anyone that has something negative to say, the ending will be one of the things talked about.

I give it a 10/10.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2016-12-30 at 12:37 AM.

network TV sure as hell won't give us anything like this

Deleted
    I am trying to make most of my netflix sub atm but honestly bored by most shows (I hate these American cop/gang/rambo shows or those who become them either way like walking dead etc.). Watched Stranger Things and thought it was average at max (The whole research-facility and government faction was the most pathetic written thing ever - any teen was more capable in this series than a group of soldiers), best thing in the whole series was the lisp brat. But won't watch season 2.

So next thing on the whole thriller series page that interested me was The OA, a little google took most of my hopes since they said stranger things was cool and far better than this show. Either way going to watch the first few EPs now, let's see!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    So next thing on the whole thriller series page that interested me was The OA, a little google took most of my hopes since they said stranger things was cool and far better than this show. Either way going to watch the first few EPs now, let's see!
    It's unfair to compare the two... Stranger Things was 90% nostaligia, and people lapped that up. The OA doesn't have that safety net and thus people were a little harsher with it.

idc what anyone says about this show, that ending got me good.

I keep failing on how to post with /spoilers so I'm just gonna stick with that.

Oh, tried to do that earlier and it didn't work guess I'm just dumb

I wasn't too entranced with the show but I'm glad I stuck to the end, the moment the kid showed up with the gun oh man I started crying thinking they were all going to die and then when she got shot oh man.

edit: eyyy it worked you're my hero!

Just finished this up and it was good but not great.

For me about a 7 / 10.

Very interesting concept, very good acting and it's stories within stories that keep you hooked but it resolves nothing as if they couldn't decide where to go or what to do as if they didn't want to commit. As it ended they just left it up to the viewer to decide. Stop all story telling and you make the decision.

Very good but not great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw first 2 episodes so far, pretty interesting but I'm sure it will disappoint me. They all do. Looking at you, Westworld, you piece o' shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is a second season confirmed? Kinda feels like they could/should leave it as it lays.

Season two seriously runs the risk of ruining everything, IMO.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Is a second season confirmed? Kinda feels like they could/should leave it as it lays.

Season two seriously runs the risk of ruining everything, IMO.
    Totally agree.

Deleted
    Watched the first season. Still don´t know what the hell it was about.. Was a bit drunk though.. Digging Crazyheads and Dirk Gently much more.

All I can say is WTF! They could have gone a couple of different ways with the finale, instead it came out of left field.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    All I can say is WTF! They could have gone a couple of different ways with the finale, instead it came out of left field.
    That's often the way with Brit Marling. You'll watch the film and think you understand and then BAM.

Last scene totally knocks you out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I felt extremely unsatisfied with the conclusion. I was completely enthralled by the entire series, and it felt like it was heading in a logical direction. The reveal of the box of books was too heavy handed. The school shooting scene was not even remotely emotional for me. I had tears in my eyes multiple times throughout all episodes, but the conclusion left me disappointed.

Because of the acting, music and cinematography, I give it a 6/10. There were some genuinely emotional moments which led me to binge watch the whole thing today. If not for the ending, it would have been at least a 7 or 8 out of 10.