Thread: z270 questions

7+ Year Old Account

z270 questions

So my current PC is completely dead. I've been planning to build a new PC for a while but never actually got around to it. I started ordering parts a few months ago and have them just sitting in my closet atm, and now with the hopefully announcement and launch of Kaby Lake in just a few weeks I'm trying to plan out what I'll still need.

I currently have everything to rebuild except for cpu and gpu (and hdd but I'm hoping to salvage my old ones), and I think that puts me in a perfect position to grab one of the new cpu's and the 1080Ti (assuming they both come out next month, which is rumored) and put it all together. But since the new cpu's will be using the z270 chipset, will I need to grab a new mobo too? I actually have no idea how that works. I put together a list of all the parts I have atm, if that matters.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RNHDQV
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    You are in the demon hunter forum, otherwise known as the 7.0 hype train. Why did you board the hype train if you don't wish to participate in hype train activities?

There was a thread like this not too long ago, your motherboard will be compatible but it will need a bios update and for that you need a CPU first lol. What i suggest you do is just buy the cheapest 1151 CPU you can locally and return it after you update the bios(make sure to check return policy ofc).

Unless someone knows of a way to update bios without a cpu installed, thats all i got for ya. But ya, your motherboard will be 100% fine just will need a bios update to support kaby lake CPU's.

Alternatively, if you can return the motherboard right around when kaby lake comes out there is a better chance the new board has the updated bios. Also it wouldnt hurt to just email gigabyte asking about this, i am sure this isnt that uncommon of a thing as people buy PC parts in stages a lot of times.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-12-18 at 07:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a bit more concerned that your 'current system' is 'completely dead'... but it had a z170 board? Whats the problem with it? I imagine some of the parts may still be under warranty.

I feel like, while you may want to upgrade, is it needed?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

7+ Year Old Account
    My PC that died didn't have a z170 board. It's a build from 2011 that I had been planning on retiring and began purchasing parts for a new build. Gleam giveaways and then the cost of Twitchcon and another vacation kept me from finishing the build, but if Kaby Lake and 1080Ti both actually come out next month then it will end up being very advantageous for me.

I've also possibly stumbled into some more luck with a friend wanting to build a new PC, so I may be able to recoup the cost of the bird I already purchased and just grab a z270.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    You are in the demon hunter forum, otherwise known as the 7.0 hype train. Why did you board the hype train if you don't wish to participate in hype train activities?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzawolf View Post
    My PC that died didn't have a z170 board. It's a build from 2011 that I had been planning on retiring and began purchasing parts for a new build. Gleam giveaways and then the cost of Twitchcon and another vacation kept me from finishing the build, but if Kaby Lake and 1080Ti both actually come out next month then it will end up being very advantageous for me.

I've also possibly stumbled into some more luck with a friend wanting to build a new PC, so I may be able to recoup the cost of the bird I already purchased and just grab a z270.
    You have a very good motherboard already, like i said all you will need is a bios update. Even if you have a local shop to do it im sure it wouldnt cost that much, you just need to get ahold of a skylake CPU somehow.