Help finding a sound file

Couldn't find it via google or wowhead. So I'm turning to you, folks.

When inserting Archmage Vargoth into a mission, he has a voice line that is quite annoying. "Looks can be deceiving!" But it's in this high pitched, squirrel-y voice. If I can find the file and then replace it with a blank text file in my sound folder, I'd be much happier.

(Yes, I realize I could just deactivate him, but his combat ally buff is quite good)

See if any of these work.

Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_01.ogg
    Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_02.ogg
    Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_03.ogg
    Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_04.ogg
    Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_05.ogg
    Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_06.ogg
    Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_07.ogg
    Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_08.ogg
    Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_09.ogg
    Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_10.ogg
    Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_11.ogg
    Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_12_M.ogg
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    See if any of these work.

Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_01.ogg
    Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_02.ogg
    Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_03.ogg
    Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_04.ogg
    Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_05.ogg
    Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_06.ogg
    Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_07.ogg
    Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_08.ogg
    Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_09.ogg
    Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_10.ogg
    Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_11.ogg
    Sound\Creature\Archmage_Vargoth\VO_703_Archmage_Vargoth_12_M.ogg
    Been meaning to reply with my thanks. Just simply forgot when I was near a computer. THANKS! One of them worked.

I am at work so I can't look it up.

Where are these files stored? Directly in a folder? Or in a file?

If in a file, is there a special tool to open / extract it?

Quote Originally Posted by Thaledwyn View Post
    I am at work so I can't look it up.

Where are these files stored? Directly in a folder? Or in a file?

If in a file, is there a special tool to open / extract it?
    Those files do not exist in the traditional sense.
    Basically the game data is stored as archives, not unlike Zip or Rar files if you have any familliarity with those.
    Short version - it is a way of storing lots of files in just one, for easier management.
    Each file in the archive has a path, a location like it would were it present on your computer separately.
    The wow client will recognise some external files as replacements if they feature in the same real location as that specified in the data.

Some sounds, and some UI graphics can be replaced via this method.
    One of the first popular uses was replacing gunfire sounds with those from bows, or simply something less jarring.
    You can also use specially crafted "muted" sounds to mute a sound completely.
    There are packs utilising that to mute various in-game sounds, or UI packs such as MiirGUI replacing many in-game graphics.

Note that those do not function like an addon.
    They are always replaced as long as the file exists.
    You cannot toggle them on or off like addons can be.

It uses the CASC format, and requires an external list file specifying the path for each.
    I just found a list file and did a text search for Vargoth, and guessed at one of those being responsible.

Extracting sounds is acceptable if you are going to simply edit them and use them externally.
    Trying to edit the contents of the game data however is not.
    There is another supported approach if you want to extract UI graphics and code instead.

Information on that can be found at http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Extrac...nterface_files.

The databases maintained by this site and wowhed for instance do much the same, extracting those files to show us what they do or contain.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2016-12-28 at 12:12 PM.
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Just saying... you can go nuts doing this. I've replaced hundreds of files. Makes playing the game an amazing experience. Not even gonna start listing the cool shit i've used but here are a few
    Put techno/trance music instead of the annoying goblin/gnome music
    Changed glue screen music to one of several random files using WIndow's task scheduler and bat files
    changed crit on belf females as a sexual moan
    Made splashes while fishing a lot louder
    Remixed city ambient sounds using a massive amount of different sounds from different sources
    Made the shrine quiet, where a lot of lowbies are parked
    Arcane Explosion - made quiet. That sound was annoying AF
    Made shadowburns and executes a ZAP sound
    No choo choo sounds. Damn them to hell.
    Mimiron's head made into half life gunship sounds (made this into an addon)
    Went through and changed most of what that Italian composer made for WOW. Tooo fruity.
    Last edited by Machinelf; 2017-01-12 at 03:29 AM.

So just to clarify:

Replacing the riginal sound files is legal / ban save?

Yes. You are not altering game files in any way. The game has a specific action of looking at local files first before looking in its data files when the game loads. It will load any file in the WoW folder if it's located in the same path it would be in the data files. You can replace sounds and textures as long as they are the same file type, which is usually .ogg and .blp respectively. Theoretically, you can replace other data such as models or movies, but I don't think there's any publicly available way to encode or make those Blizzard formats, just the special .blp files.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Quote Originally Posted by Thaledwyn View Post
    So just to clarify:

Replacing the riginal sound files is legal / ban save?
    Yes, because you are not modifying the wow data in any way.
    It is an additional file present in the folder, which as something completely passive must be something that the wow client is actually looking for in order for it to be doing anything.
    Blizzard have even said they support that, though that support as far as I know is limited to UI graphics and sounds only.