Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I think the realistic answer is to wait to see what they do for numbers tuning, the patch isnt final and everything is subject to change. With the unholy bracers nerf its unknown how much dks will be compensated with for baseline.

With any luck both will be very close and you can play whichever you prefer.

Though I do agree with the one poster about Mythic+, Frost most likely will remain the best choice in that area, especially if you get your hands on the new legendary pants. Not saying UH will not be viable, but Frost most likely remain the most optimal.

Regardless DPS DKs of either flavor look like they should be in at least decent shape, so far.

I'm of the strong belief that it will. I've been on top of theorycrafting and the new UH mastery build looks very very strong. It plays nicer with fights than frost does with the majority of our damage at 30 yard range, it has stronger aoe burst, scales harder than frost on raw stats, and the 2 and 4 piece bonuses are far stronger for uh than frost.

Both will have their place and i honestly feel both will be competitive. UH buffs are no joke, i'm already pulling 320k with the mastery based clawing shadows necrosis build on live servers, and every aspect of it is seeing major buffs. 20% more damage on ebon fever, 20% damage on clawing shadows, 5% damage on necrosis, 20% damage on defile. all these changes are huge when we consider our mastery is a straight up multiplier on these damage sources.

Even if we had all the final numbers we wouldn't be able to come to a real conclusion about that question, because sims won't answer it. The only way to actually tell is to wait for 2 weeks of raid parses.

That said, it does look like both specs will be roughly competitive with each other, and that's a very good thing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Even if we had all the final numbers we wouldn't be able to come to a real conclusion about that question, because sims won't answer it. The only way to actually tell is to wait for 2 weeks of raid parses.

That said, it does look like both specs will be roughly competitive with each other, and that's a very good thing.
    ^
    This

play the spec YOU LIKE the best! even if you pumped frost weapons to 36 traits, at AK 21/22 you can easily catch up with Apocalypse before 7.1
    Percocetz Aeirie Peak Alliance- because im a F'n WEREWOLF!
    Filthy Casual

Deleted
    Tuning can change at anytime.

No one can give you a solid answer until at least 2 weeks into Nighthold.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll stick with Frost even if UH passes it. I don't enjoy UH, so I won't play it. Simple as that.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

^ this is what I said about frost when it overtook unholy as the go to dk dps spec. I switched over to frost because I had to and now I love it. I have both weaps at 35 and with my new found flexibility I don't really care which spec is better come two weeks into NH. I will play either one or hopefully play both and switch specs depending on the fight. I'm happy unholy and frost are and will possibly be neck and neck in terms of competition with each other. That way I'd never get bored of dk

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 0verdose View Post
    ^ this is what I said about frost when it overtook unholy as the go to dk dps spec. I switched over to frost because I had to and now I love it. I have both weaps at 35 and with my new found flexibility I don't really care which spec is better come two weeks into NH. I will play either one or hopefully play both and switch specs depending on the fight. I'm happy unholy and frost are and will possibly be neck and neck in terms of competition with each other. That way I'd never get bored of dk
    my frost is 37 and my uh is still 23 but i do got 2 frost specefic legendaries if even with 2frost legendarys if uh at same ilvl/traits is better by alot im gonna be so mad :/

Quote Originally Posted by 0verdose View Post
    That worked well when both specs essentially shared the same gear, but by the looks of it unholy might change away from the crit/haste builds, I also have a hard time justifying me grabbing fire, frost, shadow and blood relics in raids. Getting both artefacts to 35 will be the least problem once 7.1.5 hits.

I'm hoping both will perform well. I'd like Frost to be better on some fights, and Unholy better on others just to give me a reason to play both specs.

I have my frost weapon at 38, UH at 35 and blood at 35 so artifact is not really a problem for me.

In my ideal world Frost is better on certain fights and Unholy is better on certain fights so I'm switching between the two. I don't know what will actually happen but I would suspect whatever spec you have legendaries for is the spec that will do the most damage for you so set your loot spec to whatever you want to play. Even if parses show one spec pulling way ahead of the other Blizz will buff the low one or nerf the high one into the ground so I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point, play what you want to play and hope for the best.

Deleted
    For me it's a transmog issue. I'm frost so I've chosen the robocop blue look from ToV. If I switch specs I gotta switch gear. I've seen raiders switch spec's and gear and have forgotten to transmog their pants for example and they look pretty poverty. Gotta look fabulous in raids rather than a hand me down, jumble sale DK.

Pretty sure blizzard said they didn't want to change which spec is best so ppl wouldn't have to farm AP for their off specs. So frost should still be the best

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nfinitii View Post
    Pretty sure blizzard said they didn't want to change which spec is best so ppl wouldn't have to farm AP for their off specs. So frost should still be the best
    Haha, we all know this hasent happened before!

Except frost was shit prior 7.1, but now it's the opposite.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    For me it's a transmog issue. I'm frost so I've chosen the robocop blue look from ToV. If I switch specs I gotta switch gear. I've seen raiders switch spec's and gear and have forgotten to transmog their pants for example and they look pretty poverty. Gotta look fabulous in raids rather than a hand me down, jumble sale DK.
    Ironman works well.

Hard to see in melee though...

They've violated that statement so many times with so many specs since launch it's most certainly not worth relying on.

Deleted
    When Legion launched, and Unholy was king, I recall all the Unholy players replying in topics complaining about Frost that Frost would be okish and people shouldnt complain as Unholy was master spec in terms of complexity, thus rewards vs difficulty should be better.

Oh how I read it all pre-7.1. Lovely seeing Unholy players in the same situation now...

Quote Originally Posted by Shmevan View Post
    In my ideal world Frost is better on certain fights and Unholy is better on certain fights so I'm switching between the two. I don't know what will actually happen but I would suspect whatever spec you have legendaries for is the spec that will do the most damage for you so set your loot spec to whatever you want to play. Even if parses show one spec pulling way ahead of the other Blizz will buff the low one or nerf the high one into the ground so I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point, play what you want to play and hope for the best.
    I hope they won't nerf it too much, otherwise it'd be pointless to even get a legendary item at all. I mean, sometimes, they don't have the best stats allocation, and if you want to nerf them, there'd be no reason to keep them over some purple's ones with better stats...
    Last edited by Raiz; 2016-12-26 at 06:53 AM. Reason: redundant words.