10+ Year Old Account

M.2 PCI-E SSD's help

Hey, Ive been looking at upgrading my SSD to a M.2 SSD but I dont have the M.2 slot on my motherboard so i'd have to get a pci-e card for the new SSD to slot in to. I have no idea where to start do have any of you guys have any help for me?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aarro View Post
    Hey, Ive been looking at upgrading my SSD to a M.2 SSD but I dont have the M.2 slot on my motherboard so i'd have to get a pci-e card for the new SSD to slot in to. I have no idea where to start do have any of you guys have any help for me?
    Do you already have an M.2 SSD or are you just looking?
    If you're a normal gamer then you won't really notice the difference between an M.2 PCI-E SSD and a SATA based one.

However if you really want an M.2 SSD and just need adapter:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/HYPER-M-2-M...rds=asus+hyper
    Something like that will help you out, but you'll need a PCI-Ex 3.0 x4 slot minimum for that to function at full speed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Do you already have an M.2 SSD or are you just looking?
    If you're a normal gamer then you won't really notice the difference between an M.2 PCI-E SSD and a SATA based one.

However if you really want an M.2 SSD and just need adapter:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/HYPER-M-2-M...rds=asus+hyper
    Something like that will help you out, but you'll need a PCI-Ex 3.0 x4 slot minimum for that to function at full speed.
    I don't have an m.2 SSD yet, Just started looking. I do have a normal Samsung 850 256 SSD though
    Last edited by aarro; 2016-12-20 at 03:42 PM. Reason: more info

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't have an m.2 SSD yet, Just started looking. I do have a normal Samsung 850 256 SSD though
    Honestly just stick with that SSD for the time being, unless you just want a larger SSD.
    In which case I'd likely still recommend you to stick with a SATA drive unless you do heavy IOPS work or just want to have an M.2 SSD really.

The IOPS is what allows you to feel the difference between a HDD and SSD but you will very likely not even remotely notice the difference between SATA SSD and M.2 PCI-E SSD if you are a standard gamer.
    To really make use of the M.2 PCI-E speed you pretty much need to be an almost enterprise user with heavy workloads.

That said ... M.2 is a really convenient form factor and looks cool and can make cable management pretty damn sweet but I'd only do it if the mobo had that support so if it needed an add-in card to do so I'd probably not do it at all unless I would have no other choice to do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Honestly just stick with that SSD for the time being, unless you just want a larger SSD.
    In which case I'd likely still recommend you to stick with a SATA drive unless you do heavy IOPS work or just want to have an M.2 SSD really.

The IOPS is what allows you to feel the difference between a HDD and SSD but you will very likely not even remotely notice the difference between SATA SSD and M.2 PCI-E SSD if you are a standard gamer.
    To really make use of the M.2 PCI-E speed you pretty much need to be an almost enterprise user with heavy workloads.

That said ... M.2 is a really convenient form factor and looks cool and can make cable management pretty damn sweet but I'd only do it if the mobo had that support so if it needed an add-in card to do so I'd probably not do it at all unless I would have no other choice to do so.
    Ok, thank you for your help. I might just get a bigger size Samsung 850 then

15+ Year Old Account
    No worries, just don't be intimidated by the people who'd like to "dick measure" just for having one.
    "ZOMG! MY WoW loads in 5,5 seconds instead of 6,0 BECUZ I HAZ PCI-E SSD OF DUUUUUM!"

I mean if you have the funds and want it just because of it's performance then by all means go for it.
    But if you're a price-conscious user then no reason to go with M.2 PCI-E really, especially not if you want to go M.2 SATA without having the slot on your motherboard.

In real life gaming a pci express SSD is no faster than a normal one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    In real life gaming a pci express SSD is no faster than a normal one.
    Cheers for the reply, I have gone with the Samsung 850 pro anyway