Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

What do you think of the current meta in Hearthstone?

For me, Hearthstone is suffering from one of the worst metas ever. I absolutely love some of the new decks (Buff Paladin and Jade Rogue are very fun to play), but aggro decks are out of control!

Ranked Play is absolutely repetitive, with Pirate Warrior, Jade Druids and Reno Locks everywhere!

Usually Druids used to have insane turn ones, because of innervate. Even then, it was a rare sight that they'd drop an insane minion on turn one. Guess who is getting 5/4's on turn 1, plus a 1/3 weapon?

So, I think that the current meta is kinda shit. It had better days. But maybe I am biased. What do you think?

Also, Kripp:

Deleted
    There have been worst imo. During the undertaker hunter. Back then there was quite a few classes that have no deck to play at all. Now it's only hunter suffering.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychohamster View Post
    There have been worst imo. During the undertaker hunter. Back then there was quite a few classes that have no deck to play at all. Now it's only hunter suffering.
    I think that any meta that favors aggro decks is going to be bad for this game. They really need to stop printing insane 1 drops (maybe even 2 drops). It is usually because of them that aggro decks get out of control (haha, a pun!). I'm all for aggro decks, they can be fun, but losing on turn 4 is kinda bad for the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    i personally love it.

there are so many decent decks currently. much better than during the end of karazhan.

but i am playing on the ranks under 15. so the amount of tryharding pirate decks is rather limited.

My biggest gripe is that the Grimy Goons aren't popular in constructed at all, especially after I got their legendary from a pack. And this also leads to the unpopularity of paladins and hunters, while warriors still have plenty of other great builds. My other gripe is how fast this meta is, so I can't play some of my favorite decks that usually require combos.

But this expansion also did a lot good, like making priests (especially dragon) a lot better. The Kabal and Jade Lotus added some great new deck types, though I wish they gave mage some better stuff other than trying to push secret mage.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    My biggest gripe is that the Grimy Goons aren't popular in constructed at all, especially after I got their legendary from a pack. And this also leads to the unpopularity of paladins and hunters, while warriors still have plenty of other great builds. My other gripe is how fast this meta is, so I can't play some of my favorite decks that usually require combos.

But this expansion also did a lot good, like making priests (especially dragon) a lot better. The Kabal and Jade Lotus added some great new deck types, though I wish they gave mage some better stuff other than trying to push secret mage.
    I love the Buffadin archetype, it is very fun to play when it works. Most of the time I get wrecked before long, but I do like buffing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    I love the Buffadin archetype, it is very fun to play when it works. Most of the time I get wrecked before long, but I do like buffing stuff.
    I actually just played it for about an hour to quickly finish some quests, its a fun deck but it gets rekt by basically every netdeck in the meta. I like how you can keep growing your minions and play them on curve, but your opponents often has ways to deal with them or they just curve better than you if you don't get a good hand. Maybe if we ever get a slower meta (lol) then it might see some more play, but as of yet just no way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharde View Post
    i personally love it.

there are so many decent decks currently. much better than during the end of karazhan.

but i am playing on the ranks under 15. so the amount of tryharding pirate decks is rather limited.
    Ofcourse you will see more decks at the start of an expansion than end - that's just how cardgames work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

If I'm being entirely honest I don't believe that metagames are a good thing at all for a game like Hearthstone considering that half of the fun comes from thinking up your own combos and synergies, which often turn out to be obsolete against the latest overtuned cards.

I get it, the metagame is a way for cyclical players to come in at any time and be competitive as long as they've caught up with the latest YouTube guides and netdecks... but what about us players that want to be in for the long run? Shouldn't we be rewarded for sticking around for so long?

But I digest. I'm staying as far away from Constructed as possible until the power creep slows down somewhat.

I'm confused, you complain about the meta being too fast and all aggro decks, then list 3 decks dominating the ladder of which only 1 is aggro. Or if you're trying to say that the existence of Innervate makes Druid decks aggro, in which case I have no idea what you are smoking but I could definitely use some.

Quote Originally Posted by Comfort Zone View Post
    If I'm being entirely honest I don't believe that metagames are a good thing at all for a game like Hearthstone considering that half of the fun comes from thinking up your own combos and synergies, which often turn out to be obsolete against the latest overtuned cards.

I get it, the metagame is a way for cyclical players to come in at any time and be competitive as long as they've caught up with the latest YouTube guides and netdecks... but what about us players that want to be in for the long run? Shouldn't we be rewarded for sticking around for so long?

But I digest. I'm staying as far away from Constructed as possible until the power creep slows down somewhat.
    I don't think you are properly understanding what a metagame is. There is no such thing as not having a meta for any competitive game. It's not a function of choice, the meta is literally just the cumulative interaction of all the choices that the players are actively making in how to compete.

But I digest.
    ..you probably meant to use a different word there

On the bright side, you made me giggle

Quote Originally Posted by Zairn View Post
    I don't think you are properly understanding what a metagame is. There is no such thing as not having a meta for any competitive game. It's not a function of choice, the meta is literally just the cumulative interaction of all the choices that the players are actively making in how to compete.
    It's also a function of which knobs the developers decide to turn higher or lower. Every new expansion pack is loaded with cards that are objectively overpowered from a mana cost standpoint... in that sense there is no choice involved - use them or be at a disadvantage.

The game would still work just fine without that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Callypso View Post
    ..you probably meant to use a different word there

On the bright side, you made me giggle
    We may never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    For me, Hearthstone is suffering from one of the worst metas ever. I absolutely love some of the new decks (Buff Paladin and Jade Rogue are very fun to play), but aggro decks are out of control!

Ranked Play is absolutely repetitive, with Pirate Warrior, Jade Druids and Reno Locks everywhere!

Usually Druids used to have insane turn ones, because of innervate. Even then, it was a rare sight that they'd drop an insane minion on turn one. Guess who is getting 5/4's on turn 1, plus a 1/3 weapon?

So, I think that the current meta is kinda shit. It had better days. But maybe I am biased. What do you think?

Also, Kripp:

[Snip]
    How is the meta shit? There are multiple competitvely viable decks for ladder climbing right now. Pirate Warrior, Midrange Shaman, Renolock, Dragon Priest, & Jade Druid all do fairly well depending on the matchup. Renolock even does well at stabalizing against pirate warrior with all of their aoes + Reno later on. I don't see how a meta that allows so many decks to be viable is a bad meta. The meta will only turn awful when Renolock & Dragon Priest lose many key cards when the rotation happens next year, which will result in far fewer viable ladder decks if the next adventure turns out to be another flop that adds very little to decks.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Secondwind View Post
    I'm confused, you complain about the meta being too fast and all aggro decks, then list 3 decks dominating the ladder of which only 1 is aggro. Or if you're trying to say that the existence of Innervate makes Druid decks aggro, in which case I have no idea what you are smoking but I could definitely use some.
    I think that you got it wrong: While I personally don't care about Renolocks, I do hate Jade Druid as much as I hate Pirate Warrior, Face Hunter, and stuff like that. Jade Druid destroys every other Jade Archetype on most ocasions. Their cards are a lot better, and have a lot more synergy than, let's say, Rogue or Shaman.

Still, I'm not saying that they are invincible, but they are pretty easy to play, and very, VERY powerful. Just like our friend here, @Comfort Zone , said: One of the most incredible things in card games is thinking about your deck, your combos, etc. This meta is pretty repetitive because there is a lot of the same thing on ladder.

Today I got SEVEN Pirate Warriors in a row in Ranked Mode. SEVEN. Then, two Jade Druids, and then one more Pirate Warrior. At last, I was matched against a Buffadin, which I managed to win pretty easily(I play Jade Rogue and Control Paladin [Jade Rogue on said ocasion]).

My main complain is: This meta is freaking repetitive, and the decks that are good, are TOO good, like REALLY REALLY GOOD. There is no incentive to play as a weaker deck (PS: Jade Rogue, Buffadin, etc), because you will get freaking wrecked, even if they are more fun to play.

It's also a function of which knobs the developers decide to turn higher or lower. Every new expansion pack is loaded with cards that are objectively overpowered from a mana cost standpoint... in that sense there is no choice involved - use them or be at a disadvantage.

The game would still work just fine without that.
    You can't have a game of 500 cards & deck sizes of 30 where all 500 are appealing. If you make all cards balanced on a budget then the mana curve & playable combos will decide any & all best plays based on all available options.

You'd also remove the class system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

The more expansions release, the less hope I have for this game. Aggro gets better and better, games are won/lost on t2 and sometimes end on t5. 1 mana 3/2's AND a weapon on top of that? Nope, thanks. Usually I'd play arena but it's completely curve-decided, your plays barely matter, just 1) pray you get good drafting options 2) pray so you draw well 3)pray your opponent draws shit
    Where's the strategy in this 'strategy' card game now?
    P.s. Hit legend multiple times when I felt like going for it, so not r15 noob here

Quote Originally Posted by Dayfer View Post
    The more expansions release, the less hope I have for this game. Aggro gets better and better, games are won/lost on t2 and sometimes end on t5. 1 mana 3/2's AND a weapon on top of that? Nope, thanks. Usually I'd play arena but it's completely curve-decided, your plays barely matter, just 1) pray you get good drafting options 2) pray so you draw well 3)pray your opponent draws shit
    Where's the strategy in this 'strategy' card game now?
    P.s. Hit legend multiple times when I felt like going for it, so not r15 noob here
    Undertaker Hunter was better than Pirate Warrior will ever be. Double Undertaker with coin followed by double Leper Gnome play on turn 2. Double 2/1s & double 3/4. Not to mention 2 damage each turn & scientists that fish for secrets that will feed the bow.

Aggro is good, but it's not exponentially getting better than what it had in the past. Aggro's glass cannons typically only grow in attack (such as troggs gaining attack on overload or mana wyrms gaining attack per spell cast). Undertaker grew in aggro threat & growing health body per 1-2 mana deathrattle. If you didn't have a 2 drop answer (or backstab as rogue) against a double Undertaker opener you just lost because by the time you could destroy one of the Undertakers they other had done half of the player's health or more.

10+ Year Old Account
    i dislike alot of the new meta archetypes. the jade druid stuff & pirate warrior are lame.
    Hi

7+ Year Old Account
    "Face Hunter is a thing from the past".

Turn 3 with this board. Fun times! (I already killed his Patches and his Murloc that changes hero power).