Page 1 of 2
LastLast

2 years ago on this forum almost no threads about politics now look at us

Just got curious and took a look at page 1000 on this forum. Took a sample of all the threads that were present. According to the last post dates it was during the time December 2014. Much simpler time with virtually no political threads.

Now look at us. At each other's throats one side ready to pounce on even the slightest hint of political leaning. Dismissing each other, twisting every argument into some political statement that can be just dismissed with little regard. Even innocuous threads eventually degenerating and devolving into political BS.

WTF happened?

The current political climate and candidates encourage a certain amount of dogmatism and rabid belief, particularly in the US but also abroad.

OP sees too many political threads on mmo champion and his first choice is make a brand new thread to complain about political threads instead of using one of the aparently 1000's already there logic.

Two shitty US Presidential candidates and people doubling, tripling, quadrupling down on their own ideologies.

Secondly, it's human nature to be outwardly righteous, and since righteousness due to religion is no longer in vogue, that instinct or desire is switched to politics.

There wasn't a presidential election 2 years ago...

I had to. It was too perfect not to post this.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    The Trump v.s Hillary election, and generel world instability due to various factors, both cultural and socioeconomic.
    I refuse to believe that this happened all because of an election. Sure the immigrant situation and things happening in the middle east are far from stellar. But the immigrant situation has been happening for longer than 2 years yet things don't degenerate like things now.

On this forum you're lucky if a thread doesn't turn political red alert by the first page.

Two years ago the forum was filled with pouncy little milk drinkers.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Everything else got banned
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    lol

It's really only fair if you go back four years ago to the last Presidential election to see if anything has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    Two shitty US Presidential candidates and people doubling, tripling, quadrupling down on their own ideologies.

Secondly, it's human nature to be outwardly righteous, and since righteousness due to religion is no longer in vogue, that instinct or desire is switched to politics.
    I do believe vanity is a big issue. All the social media having gone mainstream which feeds our individual vanity has only magnified the problem.

Another issue is that humility is not really a celebrated trait. That probably sounds like an oxymoron but it is also why this personal vanity is run so rampant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    It's really simple. If you don't like the threads that exist, then create threads on other topics and don't post in political threads. If enough people feel the same way, the problem will resolve itself. If it doesn't, then I guess you're just in the minority.
    I can't do that. Cannot keep up with TennisAce or GennGreymane.

The answer is quite simple: About a dozen people have started copy-pasting articles from other sites to discuss them here. Some even don't bother giving a discussion start and just let the article dwell on itself, others at least post thier opinion. And then people that are from the opposing side of the political spectrum feel forced to post another article that supports their view.

Practically they use it as facebook discussion without the technical limitations there.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Well, for the right the issue started with Obama (see Tea Party)... It's the left's turn now with Trump. The Trump and Hillary election was just the catalyst.

But we also see right wing parties on the rise all over the world.
    Is the Tea Party even a thing? I felt that movement fizzled out by his second term. At least for me I hardly hear them being talked about anymore.

Have we all become so 'triggered' (I used the word correctly, right?) because of an ugly election?

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Preach it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Then this is your fault.
    I'll admit I am not blameless in this regard.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    In my opinion, it is a serious issue of this site as a whole. It has grown and dominated the Gen-OT and it paints the entire site as a political battleground.

In all honesty, I think this is something that moderation needs to make a decision on as it is effecting the site's reputation and turning the entire forums of this site into a Right vs Left political battleground... I mean, the issue isn't even contained to the Gen-OT forums anymore. People are painting each other and taking this Right vs. Left battle into almost every other section of the forum on occasion.

Politics on this forum, in my opinion, should either be contained into it's own, new, sub-forum with it's own rules and moderation team to specifically deal with the unique issue that it presents or ban all political discussion under the umbrella of Forbidden Topics. Other than that, the only other way to deal with it would be to block out the Gen-OT from the recent-threads-posted-in section on the main page of the site as people are getting hooked into the volatile firefight of the Left and Right because everyone that logs into the site is seeing the political unrest in the forums before they even get to the game-orientated content of the site...
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Wait what, look at my join date. There was always full of politics thread. OP is troll, or hes using his 2008 account once a year lol. I guess most humans have very short term memory, so that could explain it as well.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think the Recent Forum Posts bar should be filtered to just contain blizzard related forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Wait what, look at my join date. There was always full of politics thread. OP is troll, or hes using his 2008 account once a year lol. I guess most humans have very short term memory, so that could explain it as well.
    With respect go look at page 1001, 1002, and 1003 and compare them to 1, 2, and 3. Then you will see. I am not saying there were NO political threads just that now you have nearly ALL political threads whereas before it did not even take up half the threads on any given page.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Lies been around since 2010 and ever since obama got into office there have been political threads, at first it was only birthers but after the re election campaign in 2012 things got really crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.