Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

GOP lawmaker delaying treatment for son's broken arm

To keep the story short.

his son injured his arm and instead of going to the hospital he waited a day to discover the day after that his kid broke his arm. He waited a bloody day to because of this crap:

We took every precaution but decided to go in the next morning (because of) the cost difference
    he did try to back-peddle a bit but this are his own words in a highly pro-article.
    ---------

Now to me this seems like a gross negligence by a parent and he should be investigated by child services to see if he does something that's harmful to his children. Delaying treatment like this can cause further damage to a person and this guy, who probably is rich enough, waits a day because he wanted to save a penny.

This is the reason why Obama pushed for the ACA (Obamacare), he tried to fix the system where people delayed healthcare because of XYZ. Maybe ACA isn't perfect (What is) but after 8 years or repeal and ''replace'' Republicans still haven't come up with a actual replace, the best thing they have is a blueprint of failed idea's that this guy spouts.

The worst part is his way of thinking, it's the same mindset that poisoned the people at Flint, Michigan where these right-wingers try to ''save'' money without actually knowing what they are doing.

This guy is the same, he isn't a doctor but he took it upon himself to act like a doctor because of ''reasons'' and just like with Flint, you cause more damage in the processes when you think you know stuff better then the people that studied their subjects for years and don't use their misplaced ''gut'' to draw conclusions.

------------
    The original interview

[URL="http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2016/12/sons_broken_arm_bill_huizenga.html[/URL]

We took every precaution but decided to go in the next morning (because of) the cost difference," Huizenga said. "If he had been more seriously injured, we would have taken him in. ... When it (comes to) those type of things, do you keep your child home from school and take him the next morning to the doctor because of a cold or a flu, versus take him into the emergency room? If you don't have a cost difference, you'll make different decisions."
    And 2e response defending his first BS
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016...le.print.html]

When I was 7 I hurt my arm at school and I didn't go to the doctor until the next day after I wouldn't stop complaining. It constantly hurt for days; it was only sprained though.

Should I sue the private school I was attending at the time? Should I sue my father for failing to take me to the doctor right away, because it costs too much?

Get the fuck over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    When I was 7 I hurt my arm at school and I didn't go to the doctor until the next day after I wouldn't stop complaining. It constantly hurt for days; it was only sprained though.

Should I sue the private school I was attending at the time? Should I sue my father for failing to take me to the doctor right away, because it costs too much?

Get the fuck over it.
    So you got lucky? That's the conclusion you can draw.

Because clearly this kid that fel didn't just trip over his own feet since he actually broke something and the dad knew that it was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    To keep the story short.

his son injured his arm and instead of going to the hospital he waited a day to discover the day after that his kid broke his arm. He waited a bloody day to because of this crap
    Pretty sure that gets categorized for "Child Neglect" under Child Abuse Penalties and Sentencing in Criminal Law.

And he should.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Get the fuck over it.
    Kid had a broken arm. Not a fucking sprain. Very significant difference.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Get the fuck over it.
    "Hurting" an arm is VERY different from "Breaking" an arm.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Deleted
    that's what happens when healthcare is private and an injury can bankrupt you

Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    Kid had a broken arm. Not a fucking sprain. Very significant difference.
    Sprain hurts worse than a break if the bone hasn't penetrated the skin. I thought my arm was broken until we went and got an x-ray.

Or is my father, the man who isn't a doctor, supposed to know the difference between a sprain and a break with normal eyesight alone? Or perhaps someone working at the school?

10+ Year Old Account
    This guy has State insurance, and he's worried about the costs for a broken arm? Wonder what his policy looks like. All state workers I know have very low out of pocket expenses.
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    This guy has State insurance, and he's worried about the costs for a broken arm? Wonder what his policy looks like. All state workers I know have very low out of pocket expenses.
    All the state and federal workers I know pick their own insurance coverage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurata View Post
    that's what happens when healthcare is private and an injury can bankrupt you
    this is the real issue, yet everyone is obsessed with punishing the father. weird, eh?

Should I sue my father for failing to take me to the doctor right away, because it costs too much?
    Well that's the whole fucking point, isn't it, genius? Healthcare shouldn't be so expensive that a person can't get the treatment they need when they need it. But if we "let the market decide," it's going to continue to be as expensive as they can get away with.

Sprain hurts worse than a break if the bone hasn't penetrated the skin. I thought my arm was broken until we went and got an x-ray.
    If you thought it was broken, and he was just like "don't worry son, spit on it and it will heal up", and only took you to the doctor the next day because you wouldn't stop complaining... then yeah, that's pretty shitty parenting. I hope you learn from that, even if you were lucky and it turned out to not be that bad in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Well that's the whole fucking point, isn't it, genius? Healthcare shouldn't be so expensive that a person can't get the treatment they need when they need it. But if we "let the market decide," it's going to continue to be as expensive as they can get away with.
    Doesn't seem like it when the OP is talking about child abuse and negligence and whatever other nonsense.

PS - Obamacare did not do anything to remedy this situation. Doubling down on complete and utter failure isn't the path to enlightenment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    If you thought it was broken, and he was just like "don't worry son, spit on it and it will heal up", and only took you to the doctor the next day because you wouldn't stop complaining... then yeah, that's pretty shitty parenting. I hope you learn from that, even if you were lucky and it turned out to not be that bad in the end.
    I learned that going to a doctor has costs, and that I was fine even though I had to wait an extra day to see one. Big lessons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kid is lucky he didn't end up with a fat embolism or other fun complication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

I broke both my arms when I was younger while working abroad in Norway got picked up in an ambulance and driven to the Er, instantly placed my bones in the correct positions, got a cast and some pills and was sent to my apartment with a note saying get well soon from a nurse. Don't even want to imagine if it had happened in the land of the "free"

Edit. Of course paid 0 dollars out of pocket

Or is my father, the man who isn't a doctor, supposed to know the difference between a sprain and a break with normal eyesight alone? Or perhaps someone working at the school?
    I'm not getting your point here. A broken fucking arm is a significantly more serious injury than a sprain. That isn't up for debate.

Your personal opinion on pain threshholds is irrelevant. Cost of healthcare is fucking irrelevant.

Sitting on a kid's broken arm is dereliction of duty. Assuming the state of an injury when you are, in fact, not a doctor is dereliction of duty. Simple and plain.
    Last edited by King Shark; 2016-12-22 at 01:17 PM.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the state and federal workers I know pick their own insurance coverage.
    Yes, federal workers do have an open enrollment. But their subsidized plans are generally very favorable. Plus, as a member of Congress, he's making well above the median household income. All he had to do was bring his son to an urgent care walk-in clinic, and they could have taken care of this.

He made a mistake. But I guess no parents are perfect, so I don't really put too much blame on him. Shit happens.
    Eat yo vegetables

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by W1sp View Post
    I broke both my arms when I was younger while working abroad in Norway got picked up in an ambulance and driven to the Er, instantly placed my bones in the correct positions, got a cast and some pills and was sent to my apartment with a note saying get well soon from a nurse. Don't even want to imagine if it had happened in the land of the "free"
    you would be homeless because you are lazy and entitled

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    My daughter literally tripped over her shoe laces and hurt her wrist. We waited to see if it just sprained and put ice and a wrap to sooth it. We waited two days with no swelling but just some pain. We took her to a quick minute clinic to do an x-ray and found she did in fact have a fracture. They then said ice it and keep it wrapped for support. Which is exactly what we already did. This incurred cost for a visit that in the end didn't fix anything. All it did was confirm it was more than a sprain.

Now my other experience is my very own. I broke my leg falling one foot off a wet deck into gravel. The gravel twisted my ankle and snapped the ball on your ankle off. I went to the Dr right away due to over wheeling pain and a massive goose egg protruding from the side along with internal bleeding that eventually turned my toes blue and purple. They took an x-ray and sent me home to come back in 3 days! They dont do anything until swelling goes down. It was a painful three days and I had that visit cost. My own experience makes me wait to see if an injury looks like broken bone now and if so, swelling has to disapate before doctors will do anything.